Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I ordered a BD over putting similar tires on a base specifically for the rear locker. It is just a little extra security since I do not want/need SAS. I do not plan on ever needing it but I want it for mountain snow driving.

But a dedicated off roader should probably have a locking diff. You can use the buddy system or a winch but you should be the buddy who can pull people out. ;)
Sponsored

OP
OP
2021FordBronco2

2021FordBronco2

Base
First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Acura TSX
Your Bronco Model
Base
This. If the base was available with limited slip, I would not have gotten the sasquatch. route. Having buried my F250 with limited slip going up my road in the snow, I want all the help I can get. Unloaded pickups suck in the snow...
Ok thanks. Where I live I do see a lot of trucks get stuck in the snow.

Kmcran

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok it sounds like I need to attend one of these Off Roadeos to figure out what I need.
It was very much worth it. Even if you are confident offroad, it is a good intro to what the bronco is capable of. I jumped into mine when it got delivered at the end of october feeling comfortable with what it can do. I ordered a badlands sasquatch with 2.7l and high package. At offroadeo I got to drive a badlands, sasquatch, lux with 2.3l. It definitely helped solidify that I made the right choices for what I want out of the bronco.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok so would you say that if an aftermarket limited slip front and rear diff came out it would be better to get a non-sasquatch Base Bronco.
I guess it depends on what you call "better".

If you are talking strictly off-road capability, the Sasquatch package is better. But it also costs an added $6000 - $7000, which is a pretty hefty chuck of change, and it increases the overall cost of the vehicle by about 20%. That's not cheap.

Limited-slips are usually significantly cheaper than a full locker, so they make an amazing budget option if you need off-road capability, but don't necessarily have the cash to get full lockers.

OP
OP
2021FordBronco2

2021FordBronco2

Base
First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Acura TSX
Your Bronco Model
Base
I ordered a BD over putting similar tires on a base specifically for the rear locker. It is just a little extra security since I do not want/need SAS. I do not plan on ever needing it but I want it for mountain snow driving.

But a dedicated off roader should probably have a locking diff. You can use the buddy system or a winch but you should be the buddy who can pull people out. ;)
That is something I thought about as having a Bronco for a dedicated off-roader I should have a locking diff, but seeing this video made me second guess myself and asking if I need a locking diff.

Sponsored

nomnom

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Basequatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

for the experienced off roaders, if you had to choose between lockers or sway bar disconnect, which would you have?

OP
OP
2021FordBronco2

2021FordBronco2

Base
First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Acura TSX
Your Bronco Model
Base
It was very much worth it. Even if you are confident offroad, it is a good intro to what the bronco is capable of. I jumped into mine when it got delivered at the end of october feeling comfortable with what it can do. I ordered a badlands sasquatch with 2.7l and high package. At offroadeo I got to drive a badlands, sasquatch, lux with 2.3l. It definitely helped solidify that I made the right choices for what I want out of the bronco.
Ok thanks I will look into doing an Off Roadeo

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for your thoughts. I understand what you are saying. I would be buying a Bronco as a dedicated off-roader but most of the trails I would be on are rated as easy or medium according to AllTrails. That is why I have this question. I was told to offroad you need Lockers but this video shows different. I definitely wouldn't be mall-crawling very often if at all. I also wouldn't call a dirt road offroading either.
Easy answer...you need at least one locker. Now, do you need lockers to go off road? That depends... :giggle:

There are all kinds of off road terrain and routes and trails. If you want to go exploring in National Monuments and getting to back woods hiking trailheads and camping spots, then you don't need lockers. If you enjoy the challenge and camaraderie of running trails, you will very likely meet up with new people and end up going to new places and the type of things you end up doing will be more than what you currently envision yourself doing. This is standard operating procedure with Jeeps and has been for years. I can't tell you how many Jeep owners thought they would do light wheeling, then got exposed and enjoyed it and then started emptying their pockets and building up their VISA card balances with all kinds of performance upgrades to their Jeeps (or 4Runners, Tacomas, etc). Going off road is fun, and we get to see some fabulous things.

Get at least one locker and skid plates. You will never regret that you did it.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
for the experienced off roaders, if you had to choose between lockers or sway bar disconnect, which would you have?

Lockers

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Lockers are an easy button for a shitty line.

Lockers before swaybar disco, can always break the wrench out to remove the swaybar.

Sponsored
OP
OP
2021FordBronco2

2021FordBronco2

Base
First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Acura TSX
Your Bronco Model
Base
That is a good question that I would like to see answered as well. I never even thought of this

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you don't want or need lockers, don't get them. If you don't know if you need or want them, you probably don't need them. Get them, don't get them, you only have to please you.

Personally, I would never own a 4WD, or even a 2WD truck that didn't have at least a rear locker or LSD. They're kinda like antilock brakes. You only use them when you need them, but they sure are nice to have when you do need them.

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you buying a 4 wheel drive, or a 2-1/2 wheel drive? Since most modern vehicles don't have limited slip anymore lockers are that much more important if you want to get into the gnarly stuff, rather get back out of the gnarly stuff.

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That is something I thought about as having a Bronco for a dedicated off-roader I should have a locking diff, but seeing this video made me second guess myself and asking if I need a locking diff.
The only time I ever had to call a tow truck was in my '86 where I just barely caught the rear axle on a log goofing around in a dirt parking lot. I was mocked without mercy by my friends because I had the "off-roader".

Almost flipped over the tow truck but that was a heavy girl.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the info and the history of lockers. I was wondering what people did without lockers on the original Broncos when they first came out and were new, now I think I know.

They used straps and winches and they broke things. Here's an example. I first ran Sledgehammer in Johnson Valley over 25 years ago in a full bodied XJ on 32" tires, with two lockers. We got done in the dark and didn't run the top part of the trail. Today, you need a well built Jeep with a large amount of body armor, big axles on 37's-40's and you will still winch in one place. Trails and expectations change. BTW, we run that trail now in 15 minutes for a quick after dinner run, in our buggies.
Sponsored