Sponsored

Do running boards alone stop rocks from hitting the side body panels?

TX-Hans

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Escalade, '13 Jeep Wrangler, '21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
For those with running boards (but no front mud flaps), do you feel the running boards stop rocks from hitting the side body panels if flung up by the tires? If so, what level of effectiveness would you say...all rocks stopped or most rocks or just some rocks being stopped?

I have the AR Stirrups on order (waiting for shipment) and the Rokbloz front mud flaps arrived last week (sitting in garage waiting for parts). I don't like mud flaps as a general rule but plan has/had been to use the mud flaps to stop rocks that are flung up. But, AR has come out with their Magnum runners that go the full length of the rock rail and look pretty sweet. It got me thinking....can I go with just the full length AR running boards (no front mud flaps) and keep all or most of the rocks away from the side panels so I don't need mud flaps?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences in this regard.
Sponsored

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have the stock OBX Boards I’d give it a 65-75% there is still quite the gap that debris make it past. Usually lighter weight stuff. I did buy the trail armor rocker guards as the rockers still get some stuff hitting near the pinchweld. Mud and dirt still plasters the doors all the way to the handles.

Taltyman

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler Rubicon, Ford F350, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Since we don't have our Bronco yet I can only speak about what we have on our Rubi. We have about a 1,000 ft driveway that is gravel. We have sliders and until we put mud flaps on the rocks and mud would be slung up the sides of the doors and even the windows. I would think that if the gap between the rails you are looking at and fenders is pretty small you may be ok. But it doesn't take much of an opening.

Sponsored

Darren13

Big Bend
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Roush Mustang/ Fj Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah. I thought about buying the stock mud flaps from ford. Don’t think I want the rear ones.

R.A.N.M.J.

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I took the Rock Rails off my Badlands and installed OEM steps. They do stop rocks from bouncing off the side panels.

D190065

First Edition
First Name
Danno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco FE; 2015 HD RGS; 23 F150 Tremor ordered
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Although expensive, the stock ones from Ford are really good. Very heavy duty and lower half removes for clearance.

Ford Bronco Do running boards alone stop rocks from hitting the side body panels? Mudflaps II

Panmort

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Even on my non-sas OBX with the running boards, debris was being flung up. I ended up adding mud flaps.

Darren13

Big Bend
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Roush Mustang/ Fj Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Did you put the ford mud flaps on with the running boards? Did they fit ok!?

Sponsored

RhodeIslandRed

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
TD5 Defenders
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Depends on a few things. What tires do you have? How much poke?

I have wide tires and they have really aggressive tread. The good thing is the voids are so big that they don't pick up as many stones as my stock KO2s did. The bad thing is that the stones they do fling are usually big.

I have the zroadz slider/steps and I would say they stop almost all rocks. I hear when a rock comes up under them with a big clang. I have not seen any new dings or chips since I installed the sliders.

But I am still thinking about mud flaps. The thing is, when you wheeling, you turn the wheels. Even when I drive on a muddy road, I can see the spray pattern on the front door and it concerns me. i don't mind getting muddy, but
Ford Bronco Do running boards alone stop rocks from hitting the side body panels? 20220422_160232
I am worried about kicking up a big rock.

Vico

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have the Ford tube step and front/rear splash guards on my Bronco and it’s super effective at stopping rocks and dirt flinging up onto my sides.
I drove for a month or two with just the tube step and no splash guards. Rocks, mud, and dirt were definitely flinging up onto my doors far more often than I wanted. Like, one drive in the rain and my front doors had dirty water streaks all across them.

I did have to cut an opening in the front splash guards to be able to accommodate the tube step. You can kinda see it in the pic.

The rear guards don’t help much with anything, but there they are. I can see myself removing them sometime down the line.

Ford Bronco Do running boards alone stop rocks from hitting the side body panels? 97BE658A-0C61-47DD-AB96-32BEB8A17FEE

Wannabe Techie

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have the raptor style step rails. They seem to keep most everything off bottom side of Bronco. Have another 4k miles. All stock wheels and tires.

Ford Bronco Do running boards alone stop rocks from hitting the side body panels? 97BE658A-0C61-47DD-AB96-32BEB8A17FEE

A family that Broncos together, stays together

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Stock Sasquatch with obx steps I put thin universal flaps on the front on day 2. 3200 miles and zero chips on the sides. We have tons of gravel on the roads right now from snow melt. I hear them ping off every time I pull out of a side road or parking lot.

20220419_210648.jpg
Sponsored