Sponsored

Do we suspect the Gen 7 Bronco to swell up like Gen 2?

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't really care once I get my Gen 6 ;)
Sponsored

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No way does it swell up like the F1 p50. The rebirth of the bronco is aimed right at the jeep wrangler. Adding size would negate its ability to go Offroad and on jeep trails. It also would negatively impact the company-wide fuel efficiency report card. It’s possible they add a bronco as big as an F150. But I really do not see them replacing the wrangler size with solely a larger version.

I am not sure about that because Ford has a history of making stupid decisions. The first gen Bronco was aimed at the (then) Jeep CJ. But Ford being Ford made the decision to make the Bronco essentially an F150 (1978) because they were lagging in sales to the Blazer which was always a full size vehicle.

Making a full size truck to compete with the Blazer was not a bad decision, it was when they stopped making 1st gen Bronco instead of working with that platform to continue competing with the CJ is where Ford made the fatal mistake that eventually would get discontinued in 96 . Why ? Because Ford lost their focus as to why the Bronco was originally made in 1966

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well the 4 door measures out the same as my 96 FSB so....

But I doubt it will grow, I do hope that it gains a big brother that matches the interior size of my FSB though. Todays interior to exterior proportions are just sad to me.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hopefully they will come up with something like the old Jeep Unlimited 2-door, although it may take sales away from the 4-door. Stretched 2-door would be my preferred choice.
CJ8.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If Ford does in fact spin this to its own brand I think at most outside of some Ranger version the best fit would be a 2 door version of an Expedition. You have the Bronco Sport for the entry level with some off road chops, keep the Bronco the same basic size within a few inches, have the Ranger be more capable off road, and have a Bronco "Max" based on the 2 door Expedition.

Sponsored

Brichan

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1966-1977 Broncos were(are) lean, light, narrow, nimble, and fun.
In 1978 they went "full size", and shared parts with the F- series truck line. They became awkwardly cumbersome, wide, and packed on weight like a fat kid left unsupervised by the chocolate fountain at a wedding reception.
Any guesses if the 7th gen Bronco will return to the F-series line, like it did 42 years ago?
Given Ford's trend of modern-retro styling, I fear the pattern they may follow.

Ford Bronco Do we suspect the Gen 7 Bronco to swell up like Gen 2? A3A17844-B754-4862-BB1A-093BE080B9DF

Ford Bronco Do we suspect the Gen 7 Bronco to swell up like Gen 2? A3A17844-B754-4862-BB1A-093BE080B9DF
Considering that there are so many categories of SUV now and that Bronco is bumping up against Large SUV from mid-size, I would expect it not to get any larger or it would be in a whole different category. The way it’s going though, maybe they’ll release a Bronco Max. ??

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it does I won't own one. Ford needs to stay in the niche if they want to compete with Jeep.

Sponsored

BLTN

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands; '95 Jeep XJ; '05 F-350; '07 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Midsize is already pushing it for me. I’d be happy with smaller (not complaining).

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The Gen 1 Bronco sales were falling off a cliff in the mid-70s. Chevy’s Blazer was selling twice as many as Ford’s Bronco. And even the International Scout was selling far better than the Bronco.

Speaking of the International Scout, the white roof everyone on B6G is always raving about, is a direct rip-off from the International Scout. I bought a Scout II back in the 70s, it was considered a far better vehicle than the Gen 1 Bronco at the time.

Ford had to make changes in the late 70s, the Gen 1 Bronco was rapidly becoming an unprofitable failure.

Last edited:

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Gen 1 Bronco sales were falling off a cliff in the mid-70s. Chevy’s Blazer was selling twice as many as Ford’s Bronco. And even the International Scout was selling far better than the Bronco.

Speaking of the Internationa Scout, the white roof everyone on B6G is always raving about, is a direct rip-off from the International Scout. I bought a Scout back in the 70s, it was considered a far better vehicle than the Bronco at the time.

Ford had to make changes in the late 70s, the Gen 1 Bronco was rapidly becoming an unprofitable failure.
A big part of the reason that sales were falling off is because the truck was over a decade old without major update. It was a unrefined as dirt and the market was changing. I suspect that if Ford had modernized the smaller platform, it would've done much better.

But the market was already showing a preference for larger size as well, so it made sense for Ford to join GM, Dodge in that arena and still compete with Jeep (just against SJ instead of CJ). Plus, they were probably already planning Bronco II by that point to reoccupy the mid segment.