Sponsored

Do You Get Your Vehicles Serviced at Dealerships?

Do you get your vehicles serviced at dealerships?

• Total voters

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Warranty work = yes
Oil changes, tire rotations, etc. = I do it myself, even new vehicles

Even though the wife received 2 free oil changes per year with her jeep, after the 1st experience of them dumping the oil cartridge in the engine bay covering the skid plate and then just coming out with a hose to rinse the oil off, I do them myself now.
Sponsored

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We live in the tri state area and put limited miles on our cars (3-7k/yr each) and lease like almost everyone else. Given ease of public transpo to NYC. The Bronco I am buying long term. Frankly it may be the only car I purchase in my lifetime. Unlike my other leased cars which just get basic oil and tire rotation independently once a year (given our mileage and they are all leases) I plan on strictly using dealerships to service the Bronco for many years and strictly go by the book. One of the great things is that it’s a Ford. Even stealership costs shouldn’t be so bad. We were on the fence about buying, not leasing, a Defender. But the maintenance costs scared me. I have no issues paying dealer service charges if it’s thru Ford. I want this to last as long as possible. This is the type of car that could get demoted to the weekender car in the future (rather than being replaced) so I could see it staying in the family for as long as it’s willing to last.

Gman90

Base
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 mustang gt500
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m a mehanic at a dealer ? I’m doing it myself for free but writing it up to provide records. Not sure where I fit in the poll

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Im planning on getting jacks and tools

Meantime, unless its oil changes, gonna do indy shops and the body shop next door, more because it'll hardly remain stock

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Independent shops can show up in your vehicle history as well. It’s not a dealership thing.

Sponsored

Troy13

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota corolla
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Dealership so I can keep a record of what's needed/what's been done. I've started doing small maintenance myself and have enjoyed doing more and more.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I do the easy things like air filter, wiper blades, cabin air filter and let my dealer do the rest which is mostly oil changes and tire rotation. I trade fairly often and haven't had anything break in a long time. Next vehicle could be a long time keeper, so things could change.

Jchetty

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Tacoma, 00 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dealerships are usually priced more than an indy shop. For most parts I want genuine oem. Most Indy shops don’t use genuine oem parts unless the local parts store doesn’t carry it and the shop has no choice.

That is a big, but not only, part of it. Sure I will opt for a Stant radiator cap, Koyo radiator, or some Denso spark plugs over OEM. But it is an OEM brand or better. Indy guys save a lot on your bill by using a non-oem part.

Not to say the repair can’t be as good- but that has a huge affect on price. For bigs jobs like steering racks, tie rods, ball joints, alternators, water pumps/timing belts-know the brand of parts that is being put on. Moogs ball joints or Gates water pump- no big deal.

Most ppl won’t put a no name battery in their car. But they have no idea what ball joints, tie rods, or water pump they have installed.

I am lucky enough to have the skills, garage, and other resources to perform complex, arduous repairs. For those that don’t, build a relationship with a local Indy. Use the internet,find one with good reviews and let them handle the small repairs. That way you know they won’t screw you on the big repairs.

For the ppl that take it to just any person- things are gonna get interesting if the bash plates have to come off. Stripped bolts, missing bolts, and damaged threads will occur. Please choose your tech carefully. Not the shop....but the actual tech working on your vehicle. Toss them a tip and build a relationship. Tip doesn’t have to be money.

AleYeah

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Unlimited, 1976 VW poptop Bus
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm not real handy. Bulb replacements and bolt-on mods I handle myself. For pretty much anything else I take it to the dealer.

Brokennose

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scout
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seeing as this is a brand new vehicle, I'll be having all service performed at the dealership simply for record purposes.

I see warranties voided all the time due to no maintenance records on file. I'll not be providing Ford an escape angle should I actually need the warranty.

Sponsored

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dealers have the most incompetent mechanics around. There are very few that are good and your lucky if your car makes it to that guy. I worked in a lot of dealerships and found those good mechanics and had them work on my vehicles on the side. Now they are retired and I have no mechanic. I am out of luck as I don’t work around the industry anymore. It may also be the service managers fault as I have seen a few of those Guys doing shady stuff as well. It’s really sad they could do a lot of business if they just put customers first and take care of them. Small town where I come from still has reputable dealerships and reputable people.

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dealers have the most incompetent mechanics around. There are very few that are good and your lucky if your car makes it to that guy. I worked in a lot of dealerships and found those good mechanics and had them work on my vehicles on the side. Now they are retired and I have no mechanic. I am out of luck as I don’t work around the industry anymore. It may also be the service managers fault as I have seen a few of those Guys doing shady stuff as well. It’s really sad they could do a lot of business if they just put customers first and take care of them. Small town where I come from still has reputable dealerships and reputable people.
Agreed. I got reeeeeally lucky at my Toyota dealer in Seattle. They had a service tech who was a Toyota truck geek and my service rep was really good friends with him. My rep would always give the older trucks, like my 1990 pickup, to this guy when they needed non-maintenance work. He really knew his sh!t. Worth his weight in platinum.

Java9

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 2.7L, 93 Bronco 5.8L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When the vehicle is under warranty, I have the dealership do everything. The day after the warranty ends - I pick my battles but attempt to do everything myself. Things I'm not comfortable with, I'll usually find a local shop before going to a dealership just because of the price mark ups.

Though cars are getting fancier so my shade tree days may be numbered outside of my 93 Bronco.

TheRealJyushi

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigvalleyford.biz
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Simple stuff like replacing filters, sync updates and whatnot I do myself. Anything more mechanically involved I have my dealership work on. Either way, employee discounts really help out!

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Warranty work = yes
Oil changes, tire rotations, etc. = I do it myself, even new vehicles

Even though the wife received 2 free oil changes per year with her jeep, after the 1st experience of them dumping the oil cartridge in the engine bay covering the skid plate and then just coming out with a hose to rinse the oil off, I do them myself now.
Sounds like my experience at Prestige Dodge.
Sponsored