Sponsored

Do you trust the FordPass oil life meter?

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Damn I change oil in my outback every 20,000 miles or so. Full synthetic. 270,000 miles runs great. I’m not trolling here but I think frequent oil changes are way over rated
Sponsored

DEC

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 640, Mustang Bullitt, Mazda 3, Honda Accord,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thank God the two vehicles I have that have an oil meter, a BMW and the Bronco never get to the recommended miles before the year is up. The BMW says 12k and the Bronco 10k, both don’t get more than 3k a year on them so the meter goes by time.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ya all this makes sense. So the answer is sure trust it if you want longer intervals and don’t really like your bronco that much anyway… 🤣

Is there any consensus on a full synthetic preference or are people generally just rollin top shelf?

Also- I am assuming we need to get the replacement o-rings from ford directly. Is that correct?
O-rings come with the filter, at least if you get the Motorcraft filter.

Bronco1010

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I work at a dealer so I have my oil changed there. Ford dealers use motorcraft synthetic blend unless you ask for full synthetic. I use Motorcraft full synthetic.

Ya- ok that makes sense. I’m going with the same 5k schedule…

Are you changing yourself? If so what oil are you using?

Sponsored

jdbabb4247

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m just a click over 5k miles and I was preparing to do my first oil change. FordPass says my oil life is STILL 50% and estimates quite a long way to go.

Planning to do it anyway, but interested to heard the collective wisdom.

Also are you guys sticking with the Ford Motorcraft synthetic blend or going with a full synthetic?
Every time my vehicles go into the shop, recalls, inspection or any issues I have the oil changed. Only had 2500 miles on time. Oil is cheap!!!

BluebroncoNC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco & 1977 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Got lucky, dealer changes my oil for the first 2 years free. So every 5k ish.

I did change it myself at 500 miles on the clock though. Get rid of that initial Ford production oil.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, I trust it and have it changed at the dealer using points.

BadlandsJ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Non-SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's not a Bronco, but my 2013 Honda Ridgeline had the same kind of system, and I only changed the oil when it told me I needed to. I put 160,000 miles on it over 9 years before I traded it in for the Bronco. Never a problem; probably still going for the next owner. I trusted it. That being said, I've been changing the Bronco's oil every 5,000, mostly because I don't put many miles on it and just want fresh oil every 6 months.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I never use the oil life meter. I use Trip 1 to record miles betweeen fuel fill to record MPG. Trip 2 for oil changes every 5K.

Actually getting oil changed today, at 22,500k. My first oil change was at about 2,500.

Also having manual transmission oil changed, want to see the condition from the transmission grinding/scraping issue.

Sponsored

RowsKing

Raptor
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BRaptor, 66 Stang
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Damn I change oil in my outback every 20,000 miles or so. Full synthetic. 270,000 miles runs great. I’m not trolling here but I think frequent oil changes are way over rated
Agree. The real only way to know when you need an oil change is to get an oil analysis done. Send your oil into a lab and get it checked. Almost everyone changes their oil too soon/much.

Joez60421

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fleet of Toyota 4runners and Land Cruisers
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m just a click over 5k miles and I was preparing to do my first oil change. FordPass says my oil life is STILL 50% and estimates quite a long way to go.

Also are you guys sticking with the Ford Motorcraft synthetic blend or going with a full synthetic?

Sure do. I did 15k mile intervals on my 97 4runner and that had 450k miles on it when we pulled the drivetrain and swapped it into his 1st gen. It's at 463k now. Do the same 15k mile interval in my LS400, according to Blackstone I could go longer. With the 2.3 being turbo and direct injected, 10k feels healthy. I do plan to send a sample off around 15k miles, just to see.

GoHack

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

I always do mine every 5K miles, using Full Synthetic Oil, starting w/the initial 5K miles on the engine.
These engines get very hot now-a-days, especially the turbo's, which not only get extremely hot due to the hot exhaust gases which drive them, but they rev at extremely high rpms.
As such, the synthetic is much better for handling both the hot temperatures, as well as the high rpms of the turbos.

Also too, come the winter cold temperatures, synthetic oil has a much lower pour point as well, allowing for the oil to get to the bearings much such faster.

Finally, synthetic oil tends to help w/the fuel mileage as well.

Outside of the benefits, it tends to be a little more expensive than mineral and/or semi-synthetic oil, but well worth it in my opinion, though some may dispute all this, I'm sure. 😉

PS - I might add, how and where the vehicle is driven is a factor too, such in stop and go traffic, hot weather, all highway, or in a dusty area of the country, including off-road.
Sponsored

Last edited: