Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Sasquatch, 2.7AT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been thinking about this alot lately since I've been helping to collect data for the MD/VA group and several posters have asked the question: Why would a dealership want to give a large group an advantaged price? What's in it for them? I'm going to jot down some of my own thoughts and I'd be very interested in other peoples' ideas also!

How Many Reservations?

At last count, Ford had over 230,000 reservations for the Bronco. For the sake of argument, let's round up to 300,000 total reservations by the time they stop accepting them. With a population of 330 million, that means there's one reservation for every 1100 people in the US. Just looking at Maryland, the state population in 2019 was just over 6 million. That means that Maryland has around 5500 reservations total. Divided across the 46 Ford dealerships for Maryland listed, that means the average dealership in Maryland is holding about 120 reservations. Some will obviously have much more. Some will have much, much less. Some states will be over-represented in reservations (we're looking at you, Texas) and some under-represented, so I'll readily admit this is not a super-accurate snapshot. But - again for the sake of argument - let's use that number as a jumping off point: 120 reservations per dealership.

What percentage of those reservations will convert to orders? Remember, a $100 refundable reservation fee is a VERY low barrier for entry, so there's likely a large percentage of holders who placed a reservation on a whim, based on mild interest or perceived scarcity. How many will have life circumstances change? Run into financial problems between now and December? Have a vehicle emergency and have to make a new purchase right away...? You get the drift. For my own part, I think the likely conversion ratio is south of 50%. I think Ford's product roll-out was magnificent, brand awareness is high, and anticipation is unprecedented, so I'm not surprised by the "buzz". How much of that converts to orders however...? I'm skeptical, but again for the sake of argument, lets assume 50% conversion.

This means that the average dealership could expect about 60 Bronco orders from all this. Now, how many of those orders will convert to deliveries? Remember, the deal isn't closed until the vehicle is delivered, so there will be a further winnowing down after orders are placed. My guess is that most individuals who order will take delivery, but there will likely be a handful who cancel the deal for one reason or another. So let's say the average number is 50-55 Broncos. Again, some will sell more, double that or higher even. Some will sell much, much less. I don't know the car business, but my guess is the difference between the "haves" and the "have-nots" is pretty extreme with major dealerships soaking up the lion's share.

This is why I think a group of buyers has some leverage in this scenario: despite the fact that many of these dealership have a large number of reservations, many of them will NOT convert to actual vehicle sales. The participants on this forum represent a smaller, much more enthusiastic segment of the Bronco market however. The conversion ratio on this forum is going to be much, much higher than 50%. My guess is it will be closer to 80-90%. Remember, we have only collected information for about 3000 reservations of ~250k so far. So we are about 1% of the total market - the most enthusiastic 1%. A dealership should COVET our reservations because they are much more likely to convert.

Sales Growth

I have mentioned this a few times, but the Bronco is not out on these dealership lots right now. Hasn't been for 24 years. With a new product launch, comes new markets, new customers and access to new dollars. Now, there's likely to be cannibalization from other products in Ford's lineup, yada yada yada... The essential point is irrefutable: Ford had nothing to compete with the Wrangler until now. So these customers and sales all represent sales growth to Ford dealerships. Sales growth is one of the major performance indicators for any retail or product-driven business. I'd argue it's the king of KPIs, but that's for your MBA class, not this forum.

With the potential for 50 Bronco sales next year, with an average price of $50k - to keep the math simple - that means these dealerships are looking at an average of $2.5 million in sales growth, so long as the conversion ratio of reservations to orders holds up for them. One way to guarantee that would be to solicit those who are most likely to place their order to transfer their reservation.

Harnessing the Buzz

Without a doubt, this is the most talked-about car at the moment. The customer interest is going to be ridiculous over the coming years, especially if dealer allocations slip into 2022. Ford knows this and incentivizes dealerships to shoot for volume goals. Did you move the most Broncos in your state/area? Here's a financial incentive and some fancy marketing materials labeling you "Bronco HQ" or something else catchy. So it's in the dealerships own interests to move the most Broncos next year, not just for the increased sales volume, but to capture Ford's approval and the extra local marketing buzz.

And don't forget, Broncos are going to be scarce for a while... How many people have you talked to who have said, "Yeah, it looks really great, but I need to see it, sit in it, drive it before I'll decide." If people want to see the new Bronco before buying it, they're going to have to go to a dealership that has them on the lot. For the early weeks of the release at least, the only Broncos anyone will be able to see are ones that have been ordered through reservations. The more orders a dealership fills, the more Broncos roll on and off their property, the more attention they'll attract.

So those are my thoughts. I have no idea how much sense they make, but I'd be really interested to hear other peoples' ideas also, especially those of you who have experience in car sales. If you've read through this whole thing, congratulations... You're as big a nerd for this as I am!
Sponsored

Foordbrawnco

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All good points! Not to mention the word of mouth aspect. 50-100+ people move their reservation over, the dealer takes good care of these bronco buyers, then the buyers recommend them to their friends and family. That could be quite a few extra people to pop in and out of their dealership over time looking for a new vehicle.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The dealer that ends up with the orders that complete likely get some kind of incentive from Ford. Either in $$ or allocation. Those orders that don't complete will end up with a Bronco on their lot someone can walk in and purchase. That would give them an advantage over dealers that didn't get the bulk orders. The dealer would be able to offer some incentive and make profit by doing so.

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For some reason I don't really think a group buy matters. I'm in Connecticut and the dealer i reserved at said they have 280 reservations. Feel like dealers will take group buys to make for the reservations they have that won't be fulfilled from people dropping out and like @Foordbrawnco said they can get more customers from word of mouth to friends and family. Of course if you are getting your car from across the country to save $1k word of mouth really won't matter.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Minor correction, I think the reservation number reported at the share holders meeting acouple of weeks ago was 150k. The 230k was some bad intel.

Also, I believe the more reso's a dealer converts to sales, up's there Bronco stock allocation when the time come to put them on the lot (@Granger Ford can correct me if I am wrong on this)

But I agree, all good points. We as the consumer have realized that there is strength in numbers and we are flexing our muscles.

Sponsored

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also, I believe the more reso's a dealer converts to sales, up's there Bronco stock allocation when the time come to put them on the lot (@Granger Ford can correct me if I am wrong on this)

But I agree, all good points. We as the consumer have realized that there is strength in numbers and we are flexing our muscles.
You are on point there...

Moparguy

Outer Banks
First Name
Mansour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 MX5 GT - 2010 MX5 T
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My Dealer here had 370 Reservations as of 3 weeks ago.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

One last thing to consider....lets say my NJ/NY/PA/CT/DE group doesn't find a 'great' deal to be had because the 'asshole' dealers never respond to any of our questions and so on.
So let's say we all travel up to NY and now @Mickeysales gets 30 more Bronco orders then they normally would have (smaller dealer).
With that said, I'm tired of most dealers near me being typical asshole dealers and would gladly give my money to the smaller guy. So in essence these group buys we are trying to organize probably end up helping the little guys more than the big guys! And I'm good with that. And hopefully at the same time we get a decent deal.

Mickeysales

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 crown Vic 98 f150 78 zephyr
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
One last thing to consider....lets say my NJ/NY/PA/CT/DE group doesn't find a 'great' deal to be had because the 'asshole' dealers never respond to any of our questions and so on.
So let's say we all travel up to NY and now @Mickeysales gets 30 more Bronco orders then they normally would have (smaller dealer).
With that said, I'm tired of most dealers near me being typical asshole dealers and would gladly give my money to the smaller guy. So in essence these group buys we are trying to organize probably end up helping the little guys more than the big guys! And I'm good with that. And hopefully at the same time we get a decent deal.
Would love to be able to help however I can!

Mickeysales

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
And I just wanted to add, I just spoke with Leo he wanted me to tell everyone if were are going to do a big multi car deal he wants to assure you there will be no markup on the vehicle or accessories and when all of the pricing comes out we will certain to make sure we provide everyone with a deal they can drive home happy about!

Sponsored

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And I just wanted to add, I just spoke with Leo he wanted me to tell everyone if were are going to do a big multi car deal he wants to assure you there will be no markup on the vehicle or accessories and when all of the pricing comes out we will certain to make sure we provide everyone with a deal they can drive home happy about!
You put up a pricing structure Leo is comfortable with and you will be a busy boy like me...

That Lifetime carry warranty is a great selling point as well... (y)

I hope you outsell all of the big box company owned stores in the area...

Make them stand up and take notice...

Mickeysales

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You put up a pricing structure Leo is comfortable with and you will be a busy boy like me...

That Lifetime carry warranty is a great selling point as well... (y)

I hope you outsell all of the big box company owned stores in the area...

Make them stand up and take notice...
We’re going to be working on that within the next week for sure! Thanks for looking out !

OP
OP
perfectburrito

perfectburrito

Badlands
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Sasquatch, 2.7AT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Minor correction, I think the reservation number reported at the share holders meeting acouple of weeks ago was 150k. The 230k was some bad intel.
Fair enough, that would actually lower the critical mass a group needs to have in order to move the needle for any one dealership. Adjusting for that number of reservations, the average number of reservations drops to 77, assuming the same conversion ratios that's around 30-35 Broncos. Now is this is hip-pocket math of the worst kind, but my point is it wouldn't take a huge group of reservations from this group to have a significant effect on the sales distribution in any particular area, especially if they're not particularly congested with high-volume, corporate-owned dealerships. Areas like the Mountain West and South could likely get traction with as few as 15-25 committed buyers.

Something to maybe think about.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

sucks... why are all the "Good Dealers" outside of California.... oh wait.. I just answered my own question.

But seriously... there needs to be a Dealer like Granger in California... we like Bronco's also!
Sponsored