Sponsored

Does any one still sleep on the ground and under the stars?

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Minority opinion alert.
No snobbery or whining intended, ENOUGH of that on this forum already.
Please do as you wish and enjoy the outdoor experience!
What happened to a simple wool bedroll in fair weather? Tent and bag, if weather requires, and a fire when it is safe.
Spending some of my money on the '21 or '22 or '23 Bronco and feel blessed to sleep on ground far from the noise and lights. I love over-landing and finding remote spots far in the outback. Towing and remote locations are often mutually exclusive terms. Guess I simply really enjoy setting up a clean and simple camp. I often feel my friends who own RVs and sleepers have too much to clean and maintain. But, that is their choice.
It does look and sound like a trailer park near me when camping with their generated and plumbed works of wonders.
Recommend seriously -if you are able- to retry the old school experience on the ground. Please, put the fire out, and leave the area cleaner than you found it. Remember to gratefully enjoy the gifts which we have been blessed with...in our nation(s) and keep your sense of humor and treat each other as you would expect others to treat your loved ones. Smile more!!! Someday, we may actually drive our Broncos...
Live Free and Camp!
Sponsored

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Minority opinion alert.
No snobbery or whining intended, ENOUGH of that on this forum already.
Please do as you wish and enjoy the outdoor experience!
What happened to a simple wool bedroll in fair weather? Tent and bag, if weather requires, and a fire when it is safe.
Spending some of my money on the '21 or '22 or '23 Bronco and feel blessed to sleep on ground far from the noise and lights. I love over-landing and finding remote spots far in the outback. Towing and remote locations are often mutually exclusive terms. Guess I simply really enjoy setting up a clean and simple camp. I often feel my friends who own RVs and sleepers have too much to clean and maintain. But, that is their choice.
It does look and sound like a trailer park near me when camping with their generated and plumbed works of wonders.
Recommend seriously -if you are able- to retry the old school experience on the ground. Please, put the fire out, and leave the area cleaner than you found it. Remember to gratefully enjoy the gifts which we have been blessed with...in our nation(s) and keep your sense of humor and treat each other as you would expect others to treat your loved ones. Smile more!!! Someday, we may actually drive our Broncos...
Live Free and Camp!
you forgot "Dance Like No One is Watching"

mootruck98

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For me to get to go in the woods more often it requires making it a family thing, which means tent and cots. As the wife will only "rough it" so much. That being said I'm getting old so the ground is not appealing although under the stars is. Will probably pick up a hammock for the happy medium for good weather.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Usually just tent it with the rain-fly off. Keeps the dog contained, and I've woken up to too many 2am rainstorms.

Much easier to just throw the rain-fly on. But love my Marmot 3P Limelight. Perfect amount of space for myself, wife, gear, and a 60lb mongrel.

Sponsored

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Down South, mosquitos will tear your ass up, unless you do it later enough in fall but before it gets freezing. And then, you’ll be soaked in dew. I could/would do so on my own for kicks, but family would need a tent.

Unfortunately, the mosquitos hang around until the first good freeze, so there’s not really a gap.

Last edited:

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I used too, but then the Good Lord invented the "Holiday Inn". So, no sleeping on the ground for me anymore. :)

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Down South, mosquitos will tear your ass up, unless you do it later enough in fall but before it gets freezing. And then, you’ll be soaked in dew. I could/would do so on my own for kicks, but family would need a tent.
Evil damn things our southern mosquitos are. I swear, last year I heard one say to his friend, "You wanna eat him here, or take him with us".

Last edited:

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m a tent on the ground kind of gal. I don’t see the appeal of the trailer campers, but also have been around a lot of people who like to use them as some kind of flex, some kind of status symbol in the driveway 🙄. I have similar feelings about the camper vans 🤮. Agree wholeheartedly that the trailer would likely limit the places I can get to! And if I see any of y’all out there you’ll get nothing but kindness and positivity from me!

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I haven't tent camped in decades. Travel trailer or Motorhome are my jam.

I like the security, this bear attack just happened south of me a couple weekends ago. No thanks.

Screenshot_20210622-064230_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ditto on the 'Skeeters.
A friend and I had a similar conversation the other day, talking about stuff.
Too much stuff.
My wife's cousin bought herself a van, is liquidating everything she has accumulated, and is going out across the country to park, sleep, live, and experience things as simply as she can.
And I'm a bit envious.
We (as a general rule) spend our lives working to make money to buy stuff. Then we have to store that stuff, manage that stuff, upkeep that stuff.
And when we pass, our kids (if we have them) sell that stuff. If no kids and no will...it just disappears and what you have labored for and traded your time for amounts to dust in the wind.
As a group of friends we have accumulated houses, cars, non-practical cars/trucks, jet skis, large boats, campers, equipment...just more stuff.
As I get older the more I come to realize the status quo to work for 50 years to gather stuff and then get too old to enjoy YOUR time is a trap.
I got off topic a bit...but yes, if you can manage to not get carried off by skeeters or coyotes, get out there.
Simply a Bed roll or even in a tent, get away and get back to waking to the sounds of a stream and birds. Your soul will thank you.
It is easy to get caught up in the "I need an overland setup with ARB stuff, a portable stove, shower, 110V oven, REI sleeping bag and cot, some North Face stuff, traction boards, etc"
And in a true overland adventure you have to have the right gear.
But just to get away?
One can do it very cheaply, very simply, and then go from there and outfit only what you find you need to gain the most out of it for the least amount of hassle that comes with stuff.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven't tent camped in decades. Travel trailer or Motorhome are my jam.

I like the security, this bear attack just happened south of me a couple weekends ago. No thanks.

Ford Bronco Does any one still sleep on the ground and under the stars? 0B6D5501-5430-4D80-B6D7-192D08821251
Yeah, the geography would certainly play into my decision on the campsite.

Bugs are one nuisance, but things that can really eat or harm you are a completely different story and you have to be safe with your food. I've seen bears out here in CO, not the kind that stand taller than me though..............but still dangerous as a lady was attacked and partially eaten by a momma and cubs a few weeks ago in the Durango area.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did that years ago while in the Marines, but that was in Southern California. I can't say I totally enjoyed at the time knowing there were poisonous snakes and spiders around but I got by. Now I have a nice megamat and a ground tent. I sleep like a baby. I think when I get my Bronco I'll probably look into a nice RTT or a small off-road camper

Last edited:

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I do both actually. Wife prefers "glamping" so we have an RV and a toad to go all over this great land of ours. But I also love backpacking, and my kids love it too. Not all camper users are posers.

EDIT: when you compare the two, I must say glamping is more tenable for me. I just can't get a good night's sleep on the ground. Not sure why...I don't care how firm the place i sleep is, so that's not it. I just have never cracked the code on sleeping well "under the stars."
Sponsored