Sponsored

Does any one still sleep on the ground and under the stars?

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Down South, mosquitos will tear your ass up, unless you do it later enough in fall but before it gets freezing. And then, you’ll be soaked in dew. I could/would do so on my own for kicks, but family would need a tent.

Unfortunately, the mosquitos hang around until the first good freeze, so there’s not really a gap.
No different in parts north; really - anywhere there's high humidity. This year Alberta is relatively mosquito free (thus far) but when we "camp" it's in Manitoba; and it's rare they're as lucky.
Sponsored

gmichael

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Pathfinder
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Minority opinion alert.
No snobbery or whining intended, ENOUGH of that on this forum already.
Please do as you wish and enjoy the outdoor experience!
What happened to a simple wool bedroll in fair weather? Tent and bag, if weather requires, and a

I just love my hammock, screened netting and shelter on top for rain. I sleep better there.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have no desire to sleep without shelter. Love camping, but there are many ways to do it and it’s no more correct to sleep nude under the stars with nothing but pine needles below you as it is to use a basic tent and sleeping bag.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Minority opinion alert.
No snobbery or whining intended, ENOUGH of that on this forum already.
Please do as you wish and enjoy the outdoor experience!
What happened to a simple wool bedroll in fair weather? Tent and bag, if weather requires, and a fire when it is safe.
Spending some of my money on the '21 or '22 or '23 Bronco and feel blessed to sleep on ground far from the noise and lights. I love over-landing and finding remote spots far in the outback. Towing and remote locations are often mutually exclusive terms. Guess I simply really enjoy setting up a clean and simple camp. I often feel my friends who own RVs and sleepers have too much to clean and maintain. But, that is their choice.
It does look and sound like a trailer park near me when camping with their generated and plumbed works of wonders.
Recommend seriously -if you are able- to retry the old school experience on the ground. Please, put the fire out, and leave the area cleaner than you found it. Remember to gratefully enjoy the gifts which we have been blessed with...in our nation(s) and keep your sense of humor and treat each other as you would expect others to treat your loved ones. Smile more!!! Someday, we may actually drive our Broncos...
Live Free and Camp!
Check you out OP. All hope isn't lost just yet. Nice thread.

I camp in a tent and never would consider a campground. RVs are for game days at Bryant-Denny Toilet and shower are with me, or wet wipes and I only wear wool everything when camping. T-shirts, drawers, socks, etc. Never use those gross facilities in the common areas, and I do pack out, just wish everyone would.

When camping, I just don't really like seeing other people I didn't wheel in with, thus the off roader including my old Disco which I use now until Bronco.

In the Deep South, so don't really camp during the summer, only go wheeling. The mosquitos and yellow jackets are just too irritating. Worst of all are the fire ants! (Evil tiny Fu@kers!)

Anyway, I do a sleeping bag, but either use a cot when alone, or blow up mattress with the wife. My camping is late summer, early fall, and early spring or mild winter nights.

Nothing like a gentle breeze, a fire, some weed, beer, and the stars...... Natures!

Yep, that my friend is a Roll Tide 😚

Sponsored

FoCoBronc

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, X3, MDX, Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Like all the ideas opinions and experiences. Just spent last 2 nights camping in snowy range of Wyoming and then near steamboat springs CO. Slept in back of Tacoma and skeeters were so bad could not imagine sleeping without some protection.

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use a tent. The weather is too unpredictable where I usually go for sleeping without one. Waking up covered in due doesn't sound appealing either. Plus I'd get eaten alive by the mosquitoes, ants and ticks. And then there's the bears (Black & Grizzly), Cougars, Wolves and Coyotes.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love my ground tent, but sometimes the location is too tight to set a tent. That is when a bivy sack is the way to go.

Bivy Sack.jpg
Bears refer to you as soft tacos😬

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

haven't camped in a couple years, haven't backpacked in longer than that, but hope to change that. Also gonna set up a sleeping area in the back of my Bronco, find a nice spot and be done is nicer than having to set up tent and all that, but I will carry a small tent too. And a hammock, for sure.
I can't sleep if there's a single mosquito in the room, so I need to keep those little fuckers out and far away from me.
I haven't slept just under the stars all that often, but if it's nice and there are no flying vampires I would go for it. Maybe not in bear country though...

Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought everyone was sleeping in their Broncos?

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ditto on the 'Skeeters.
A friend and I had a similar conversation the other day, talking about stuff.
Too much stuff.
My wife's cousin bought herself a van, is liquidating everything she has accumulated, and is going out across the country to park, sleep, live, and experience things as simply as she can.
And I'm a bit envious.
We (as a general rule) spend our lives working to make money to buy stuff. Then we have to store that stuff, manage that stuff, upkeep that stuff.
And when we pass, our kids (if we have them) sell that stuff. If no kids and no will...it just disappears and what you have labored for and traded your time for amounts to dust in the wind.
As a group of friends we have accumulated houses, cars, non-practical cars/trucks, jet skis, large boats, campers, equipment...just more stuff.
As I get older the more I come to realize the status quo to work for 50 years to gather stuff and then get too old to enjoy YOUR time is a trap.
I got off topic a bit...but yes, if you can manage to not get carried off by skeeters or coyotes, get out there.
Simply a Bed roll or even in a tent, get away and get back to waking to the sounds of a stream and birds. Your soul will thank you.
It is easy to get caught up in the "I need an overland setup with ARB stuff, a portable stove, shower, 110V oven, REI sleeping bag and cot, some North Face stuff, traction boards, etc"
And in a true overland adventure you have to have the right gear.
But just to get away?
One can do it very cheaply, very simply, and then go from there and outfit only what you find you need to gain the most out of it for the least amount of hassle that comes with stuff.
Amen!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m a Durston X-mid kind of guy.

LowerSlowerDelaware