Sponsored

Does anybody else think people are setting themselves up to be disappointed no matter what?

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If the new Bronco is perceived as the worthy successor to the EB, and if people are able to outfit and accessorize the new Bronco into a more personal vehicle, then you might find the demand of people wanting to drop 40+ grand on an EB not as strong.

My buddy dropped 50 grand on a new Wrangler - because Wrangler is enough like the older Wranglers/CJs. So that was 50 grand by buddy was not spending on some old Jeep - because he had a new option.

I think the die hard old 4x4 crowd will still demand an EB. But also there is a big spending "it vehicle" demographic that got into EBs, and that demo might soon have another option. (And arguably that crowd would be better off with a new more fuel efficient, more comfortable modern version.)

We'll have to see what Ford delivers ...

BroncoRustvNew.jpg
I hate to admit, but I am in that bandwagon. I LOVE the EB... I have had 3. They are too dam expensive now to even enjoy. $40-50k to rebuild one "right", then it is irreplaceable and can't be enjoyed. Bodywork is too expensive to risk. A rear quarter is PIA to take the aftermarket parts and make it right. Same with rockers. Doors are unobtanium. I have had EBs since I was 16 and I am now almost 50.

There is no reason to buy a CJ and fix it up anymore... A brand new sport model JL is more reliable, more fun, more practical and less expensive.

Broncos will always be collectible.. I can't see the $200-300k that a Gateway or Icon Bronco going away for those that have money to burn. The $10-30k Drivers (and that is really what a $20k Bronco is) are going to be interesting. I never want to cause body damage offroading, but I do take comfort in a new Bronco being somewhat repairable and parts will be available.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I hate to admit, but I am in that bandwagon. I LOVE the EB... I have had 3. They are too dam expensive now to even enjoy. $40-50k to rebuild one "right", then it is irreplaceable and can't be enjoyed. Bodywork is too expensive to risk. A rear quarter is PIA to take the aftermarket parts and make it right. Same with rockers. Doors are unobtanium. I have had EBs since I was 16 and I am now almost 50.

There is no reason to buy a CJ and fix it up anymore... A brand new sport model JL is more reliable, more fun, more practical and less expensive.

Broncos will always be collectible.. I can't see the $200-300k that a Gateway or Icon Bronco going away for those that have money to burn. The $10-30k Drivers (and that is really what a $20k Bronco is) are going to be interesting. I never want to cause body damage offroading, but I do take comfort in a new Bronco being somewhat repairable and parts will be available.
Yeah I think getting into the 30 grand and especially 40/50 grand range, some people are going to consider if they really want an EB and all that entials, when instead they have the option of plunking similar cash down on a brand new Bronco. Assuming Ford delivers on the new Bronco.

Older Jeeps are still a lot of fun for low cost. I got my TJ for $5700, and am considering an old CJ-5 in the $4000 range. At those prices probably an EB would be a near junk rust bucket. Low cost older 4x4s, where you could turn a wrench and have some fun offroad, are what got me into 4x4s back in the 90's. That's still possible with older Jeeps. But sadly old Broncos jumped the shark with prices and are kind of a different scene now.

Wolfsburg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ford F-150, 1968 Ford Mustang California Special, 1969 Ford Mustang coupe, 1963 Volkswagen Beetle
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think there are some that are gonna hate it no matter what and others that would love and defend it if it only had 3 wheels.

For me the SFA/IFS argument is neither here nor there as I doubt I will ever be offroading to an extent that it will matter much. Some muddy/flooded trails at most. From reading between the lines, it sounds like there may be a SFA available in some iteration of the 6G Bronco anyways.

My only disappointment thus far was learning of the lack of a V8. The ecoboost engines are just fine and will surely do what's needed but in my mind just seemed like a rather "meh" choice for an enthusiast vehicle where practicality (mpg vs output) isn't always the foremost concern. In my view, a V8 would've provided a neat alternative that the Jeep doesn't offer and plus they just sound cool. Regardless, I'm not losing sleep over it.

Adk_st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Toyota 4runner TRD Pro '57 CHEVY 6400
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think there are some that are gonna hate it no matter what and others that would love and defend it if it only had 3 wheels.

For me the SFA/IFS argument is neither here nor there as I doubt I will ever be offroading to an extent that it will matter much. Some muddy/flooded trails at most. From reading between the lines, it sounds like there may be a SFA available in some iteration of the 6G Bronco anyways.

My only disappointment thus far was learning of the lack of a V8. The ecoboost engines are just fine and will surely do what's needed but in my mind just seemed like a rather "meh" choice for an enthusiast vehicle where practicality (mpg vs output) isn't always the foremost concern. In my view, a V8 would've provided a neat alternative that the Jeep doesn't offer and plus they just sound cool. Regardless, I'm not losing sleep over it.
The Ecoboost make sense for performance/enthusiast choices. V8's are nostalgic and sound amazing, but stock for stock the turbo 6's will win. Have you driven one by chance? They don't sound all that great, but they get up and move!

I LOVE what Ford did with the new 7.3l. So much so that I'm considering a f250 just to get that engine. It's everything I want in an engine. Long life, solid performance. Economy be damned. You're right, if they offer a V8 they'll steal more Jeep sales.

Sponsored

Wolfsburg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ford F-150, 1968 Ford Mustang California Special, 1969 Ford Mustang coupe, 1963 Volkswagen Beetle
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Oh I don't disagree as far as the practicality of the Ecoboost offerings. They are fine engines with reasonable performance and mpg to boot, but if I had my preference, I'd rather have had a rumbling V8 under the hood at the expense of some mpg in a vehicle like the Bronco. Haha!

Jook13

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki samurai
Your Bronco Model
Base
Guess I simply don't care much about the engine available. If it has a low range transfer case and can do the speed limit I will be happy. If course this is coming from a guy who currently wheels a 60 horsepower Suzuki samurai.... And I can promise my sammy will out 4 wheel any stock version of this upcoming bronco. I just struggle to maintain highway speed on the way to the trail.

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Does anybody else think people are setting themselves up to be disappointed no matter what? giphy

I don't understand why you guys think wanting the best Ford can do is a bad thing. There is definitely some comical cynicism on here at times but I don't let it bother me much as I just know its ridiculous but I see no harm in wanting and caring about Ford doing this right. That's part of what a forum is about and I like hearing about everyone's different wants and needs.

Don't confuse passion with hate. People being cynical just don't want to see the Bronco end up like the FJ Cruiser or the Hummers. I'd argue that people holding Fords feet to the fire here care more then the people that cheer anything Ford offers us.

@Nickp I love your involvement on here and I think the chairs thing is hilarious but your no tolerance for opposing views is just as bad if not worse then the cynicism.

I think 98% of us are going to be happy with the final product even if it's not exactly the way we want it (which is impossible). Just having the two and four door options made that possible. Now it's just waiting to see if Ford created something customizable and capable. This is an icon and halo vehicle for Ford at this point. We have to keep our standards high. I know my excitement is way higher then my worries or cynicism. We're all here because we're still on the hype train

Ford Bronco Does anybody else think people are setting themselves up to be disappointed no matter what? giphy

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"It seems like even if Ford created a solid axle, V8, high towing capacity, no technology Bronco that started at $20k people would just bitch about how it doesn't start at $18k or that it should come with one-ton axles as an option."
In the words of luke combs-" bitchin and moanin on an on bout the time i had"

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"It seems like even if Ford created a solid axle, V8, high towing capacity, no technology Bronco that started at $20k people would just bitch about how it doesn't start at $18k or that it should come with one-ton axles as an option."
In the words of luke combs-" bitchin and moanin on an on bout the time i had"
well....yeah

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Ecoboost make sense for performance/enthusiast choices. V8's are nostalgic and sound amazing, but stock for stock the turbo 6's will win. Have you driven one by chance? They don't sound all that great, but they get up and move!
They don't win in loaded MPG and they don't win in throttle response.
They certainly don't win in ultimate power if you FI the V-8.
And yes, I get that most won't care about any of that in the new bronco

Adk_st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Toyota 4runner TRD Pro '57 CHEVY 6400
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They don't win in loaded MPG and they don't win in throttle response.
They certainly don't win in ultimate power if you FI the V-8.
And yes, I get that most won't care about any of that in the new bronco
Why are you comparing aftermarket fi v8 to a factory engine? That's just silly

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hope for the best and expect the worst.

That said, not too worried, only I'm disappointed in the current color palette, wanted something to give Jeep a run for its $$$

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Why are you comparing aftermarket fi v8 to a factory engine? That's just silly
Because it can be done (VERY easily and reliably). Not so with a 2.7 ECO ..........
And if the bronc came with a coyote, there would be a factory supported
blown coyote bronco with warantee, just like the stang and F150 have.........
Sponsored