Sponsored

Does anyone plan to flat-tow behind a RV?

2ndgenirish

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a diesel pusher RV and currently tow a 2016 Ford Edge Sport which weighs about 4.300 lb. I wanted a Bronco Sport to reduce the weight of my towed vehicle but that is not possible, yet anyway. Too bad - Ford should make the Bronco Sport flat towable.

Anyway, the Bronco is towable. I am concerned about the added weight. Anyone have experience towing a 5k lb plus vehicle?

Thanks
Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a diesel pusher RV and currently tow a 2016 Ford Edge Sport which weighs about 4.300 lb. I wanted a Bronco Sport to reduce the weight of my towed vehicle but that is not possible, yet anyway. Too bad - Ford should make the Bronco Sport flat towable.

Anyway, the Bronco is towable. I am concerned about the added weight. Anyone have experience towing a 5k lb plus vehicle?

Thanks
I tow a 4K suv now, and have for 30K miles without issue, and that is with a V10v3 gasser. A DP should not have any issue with all that low end torque. I have 6500# of tow capacity available so no issue with 5K. I do have a custom tune that gives me 425HP for hills, but thinking that extra 1K#'s will slow me down a bit. I am getting a BD non SAS with Mid only trying to keep the weight down. I wanted a Sport Badlands, but like you said, Ford screwed the pooch on that, blocking out all RV'ers that were looking at it for a TOAD. Remember this is rolling weight, not dead weight.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I tow my Explorer on a trailer but since the Bronco will be new and reliable I will probably flat tow it at least until it becomes old and unreliable like my Explorer. :LOL: They will probably weigh about the same but flat towing will reduce my GCW by 2200lbs and tongue weight by just about everything.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Flat tow question: We know we can place the transfer case in neutral with a little song and dance using the 4x4 button, but, does this procedure also unlock the steering?

With the keyless ignition it must.?

Sponsored

sourdough

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander, Golf, TigerRV, JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Flat towing a Bronco is one of the features I require. A must!

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I do have a custom tune that gives me 425HP for hills, but thinking that extra 1K#'s will slow me down a bit.
You must be rocking high octane all the time for that kind of HP! With my V10 2V and 87 octane, I am probably seeing 250 WHP at best!

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I towed a 2002 Ford 7.3 Excursion for a couple of thousand miles no problem. The biggest issues was having the remove the rear driveshaft because the transfer case can't be put in neutral. I'm pretty sure that thing weights in at over 9,000 lbs.

Our regulars toad is a 2007 Honda Odyssey which is about 1/2 the weight of the Excursion.

No issues with either and I really couldn't tell the difference when towing.

I suspect that the difference between the Edge and the Bronco will feel minimal unless you're already at max capacity for the Motorhome.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You must be rocking high octane all the time for that kind of HP! With my V10 2V and 87 octane, I am probably seeing 250 WHP at best!
That is an older engine, the V10 3V is stock at 350 HP, and I run 89 octane as a compromise.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I know there will be base plates available from Blue Ox et al, but I tend to go my own way. Models with the Modular Bumpers have D Ring mounts and most tow bar manufacturers have D Ring adapters. But the D Ring mounts are quite high, requiring quite a lift on my motorhome hitch. Looking at trims without modular bumpers they have a low mounted tow loop that would be about the right hitch height. Any guesses if this would be stout enough for a tow bar mount? It's stout enough to yank the rig out of a mud hole right?

Trying to decide if I should opt for the modular bumper, I like the looks and the D Ring potential, but the standard bumper set up looks more adaptable to towing.
Ford Bronco Does anyone plan to flat-tow behind a RV? 1606434790786

The lower loop is in the lower left of the photo, the D Ring mount is on the end of the frame horn.

Last edited:

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you go with the mod bumper you won't need a base plate, just tow bar off road end adapters sold by BlueOx. It may be required to replace the stock D ring mounting bolts with hardened steel ones and drill and add one additional bolt, not sure yet as when I talked with BlueOx they were still waiting on design sheets from Ford.

PhillyGuy

Outer Banks
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150 SuperCrew Platinum, 2018 BMW X3 M40i
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I will be flat-towing my Bronco Outer Banks behind my Class-C RV day 1. Can't wait! I keep checking for the flat tow accessories, but so far none of the manufacturers have come out with details yet (That I know of)

G6Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Thanks
mine was until it wasn't. $6,300.00 transmission destroyed and no warranty with less than 6k miles. You are gambling big if you flat tow. I am [and many others] are living proof.
Sponsored