Sponsored

Does anyone recognize this camera module or camera connection?

Bronkitis

Wildtrak
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Got a look at the camera module today; it seems like it would be pretty easy to 3D-print a relocation bracket for it. I could imagine something that moved it further up the grill, and/or out on a stalk, like the rear camera.

Ford Bronco Does anyone recognize this camera module or camera connection? 1638339403141

The existing tubing (for washer fluid) and cable (for video) can provide for some amount of relocation, as long as the new location is closer to the top of the grill.

To move it far forward would require additional tubing and longer cabling.

Does anyone know what kind of connection this is for the camera? It's a small, semi-rigid coax cable.

Ford Bronco Does anyone recognize this camera module or camera connection? 1638339330950

I think the easiest thing would be to leave the existing camera in place, and wire in a new module in the desired location, with its own plumbing. You can attach to the car harness and tubing at the edge of the grill.

unnamed.jpg
Sponsored

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Got a look at the camera module today; it seems like it would be pretty easy to 3D-print a relocation bracket for it. I could imagine something that moved it further up the grill, and/or out on a stalk, like the rear camera.

Ford Bronco Does anyone recognize this camera module or camera connection? unnamed

The existing tubing (for washer fluid) and cable (for video) can provide for some amount of relocation, as long as the new location is closer to the top of the grill.

Does anyone know what kind of connection this is for the camera? It's a small, semi-rigid coax cable.

Ford Bronco Does anyone recognize this camera module or camera connection? unnamed

I think the easiest thing would be to leave the existing camera in place, and wire in a new module in the desired location, with its own plumbing. You can attach to the car harness and tubing at the edge of the grill.

I can’t tell from the photo but maybe an SMA connector? Hard to tell the diameter of the connector.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

1638339403141.png

1638339330950.png

Without knowing the dimensions, I would say that it looks like an SMB connector.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bronkitis

Bronkitis

Wildtrak
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Without knowing the dimensions, I would say that it looks like an SMB connector.
Thanks a lot! It does indeed; I'll check the dimensions ASAP. I can't find a weatherproof version that looks like this housing setup online, but it appears to be constructed so as not to interfere with a standard SMB connection (assuming that's what it is).

OP
OP
Bronkitis

Bronkitis

Wildtrak
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It'll probably need to be recalibrated if moved, but moving it should be easy.
I'm mostly thinking if I can move it forward, rather than up and down a whole lot, that it'll probably be all right. AFAIK this camera is used only for viewing (AND HOPEFULLY RECORDING, SOON, FORD, WHERE IS MY FORDPASS PERFORMANCE APP!!??!!).

In that case I think you'd get some stitching errors in the birdseye and wide-angle front view, but given the small shift in the view rectangle I don't expect them to be too bad/impactful. Will report back!

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks a lot! It does indeed; I'll check the dimensions ASAP. I can't find a weatherproof version that looks like this housing setup online, but it appears to be constructed so as not to interfere with a standard SMB connection (assuming that's what it is).
Follow the wiring back and there is probably enough slack that you can free up by removing a clip or push pin.

Ingridthehorrible

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Chevy 2500HD, 2008 Buell 1125R, 98 Buell S1W
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Did some research today, based on your pictures, the connector having a brown color and the alignment key positions, the connector in question appears to be a "FAKRA 50 ohm SMB with a "F" code alignment key housing". However an exact part number or manufacturer is going to be harder to obtain. Looked thru some of the various FAKRA connector vendor websites it appears there might be some variations in the actual connector locking mechanisms. When I have some more time will try to nail it down. Have a vested interest in this as I'm trying to decide on a winch solution for a lux package. Present thinking is a self built custom solution for the winch mount. Might decide to try and relocate the camera

Ford Bronco Does anyone recognize this camera module or camera connection? 1639701928976

Sponsored

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'd be worried about the calibration. Supposedly the IPMB can determine if a camera is out of alignment and there's a set of calibration mats that you aren't going to find on eBay.

Of course i can't remember where i saw all the possible fault codes, nor do i have workshop manuals on my laptop. I'll take a look next time I'm home

Alfie623

Badlands
First Name
Alfie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1983 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Subscribed. I too want to move the camera to the bull bar of a winch mount.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Use a universal Fakra Z cable (compatible with all). That way you don't have to track down a specific Fakra connector type to match the keying.

Ford Bronco Does anyone recognize this camera module or camera connection? 1639710187784

Ingridthehorrible

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Chevy 2500HD, 2008 Buell 1125R, 98 Buell S1W
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd be worried about the calibration. Supposedly the IPMB can determine if a camera is out of alignment and there's a set of calibration mats that you aren't going to find on eBay.

Of course i can't remember where i saw all the possible fault codes, nor do i have workshop manuals on my laptop. I'll take a look next time I'm home
Calibration might be a concern but doubt it will set any codes as I believe the only use of the camera is for the forward view and isn't used by any of the vehicle safety systems. My thinking it's most likely will just be a stitching issue with the 360 view. My goal is not to move the camera, it just depends on how much the winch mount solution I go with blocks the camera view. Anything that sticks out past or above the existing bumper will affect the view in some way.

Sooner or later someone will move it and post results
Sponsored