First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Depends how you like to party. Google "rock bouncer" Horsepower can and will get you places lack of horsepower won't. Super slow easy rock crawling sure very little horsepower is needed. Mud bogging horsepower will DEFINATELY help. Insane hill climbing high horsepower is a must. High speed desert running ya you need some stout horsepower.

Again depends on what you want to do.
Sponsored

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The 5th gen bronco had a big honking V8 that sounded awesome and made.....205 horsepowers.... The 2.3 will be just fine, the 2.7 will be even better but not really needed. Highway driving however....

cparksjr

Badlands
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2020 Ford F250 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are lots of different types of off roading, so I think it would need to be defined. Rock crawling which I know the least about, seems to need huge torque, not big high end power. Playing the sand dunes which is more my area, needs power and suspension. But even with that it needs to be best matched to tire size and gearing. I have seen many trucks with tons of power, and are beat by much lower power vehicles because of this. Weight is always a big factor too.

Raptor.Tremor.Bronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak, 2014 Raptor, 2020 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just look at the ram trx, it makes so much power that it makes the vehicle very dangerous offroad and also makes it very unreliable. It's a balancing act between how much power, weight, durability you have. A trx has lots of power, huge weight and low durability. For the bronco I'd say it has adequate power, moderate weight and adequate to high durability. This same though process was in the ford raptor documentary from 2010

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is HP and Torque needed when not on a paved road?
- Jeeps don't have much and they do just fine.
- Tires play a bigger role on and off road.
- Off road, you can only put down the power if you have the grip. If you need to tow/haul more, that's where you'll want more power.

Sponsored

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hello all! I wanted to ask if power plays a big role in off-roading? I understand that it's nice to be able to flow/merge quickly through traffic, but specifically for driving on trails, sand, snow, etc., is there an advantage to having more power?

Will the 2.7 have a significant advantage over the 2.3 when not on a paved road?

Thanks for your time and input.
Ford Bronco Does HP play a big role in off-roading? 1617897670612

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have done many trails in a 4 Cylinder toyota mini truck with only 100hp. Power was never a problem off road. I did black diamond trails and went all over the place. For the street it could have used more power.

The 4 Cylinder Bronco makes more HP then any of the earlier Bronco models. It will be fine.

But more power can be more fun too. Also you can break more stuff. With the v6 you may really want the bigger m210 front axle.

For off road a front locker is more important then more HP. At least on the trails I have done. Lockers are like superman mode.

CarbonBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Toyota $runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
HP How Fast you hit The Wall

TQ how Hard You hit the Wall.