Sponsored

Does It Make Sense to Add Rear Lockers to a Daily Driver?

Y2Dre

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've combed through this forum and the internet looking for the pros and cons of lockers. Since I still can't decide, I decided to bite the bullet and ask the people for their opinion.

I am set on getting a Big Bend with the 2.7 engine. My future Bronco will replace my 2012 Ford Fusion Sport as my daily driver. While I have no plans on doing any off-roading, I must admit that I'm thinking about hitting a few trails for the hell of it..just because I'd be able to. Living in SE Michigan, I'll have snow to deal with a few months out of the year. But, from what I've been reading, using lockers in the snow isn't a good idea. Four-wheel drive will be enough for that.

So...do I accept the fact that I'm not going rock crawling any time soon and forget about the lockers to save some money? Or, do I add the rear locker now just in case I need it later. As everyone knows, it's better to have an option you might not need vs needing an option you don't have because you were too busy counting pennies.

Thanks in advance for your feedback...
Sponsored

saban

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
since it's only $495 extra on big bend, just get it now. it'll be disengaged when on pavement and doing it later won't really save you all that much. actually, 495 is probably saving you money...buy the diff and install is going to be over that

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you got the coin then do it. Most vehicles don’t even offer a rear locker. It’s nice to have when off-road. Even if you find yourself driving on a muddy road, trail, etc.

I lock in the rear to get over or past an obstacle and then it’s unlocked. Makes for little to no drama.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've off-roaded many years with open diffs, including 10 years in Colorado hitting mountain trails. That's my CJ7 (see profile pic) going up some slickrock on a trip to Moab. It has open diffs. You likely don't need open diffs - would be a waste of money. To be fair though, I'm not into buying just in case or to imagine using something like some people. Either way, take your new Bronco to explore some trails, it's a lot of fun.

OP
OP
Y2Dre

Y2Dre

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you got the coin then do it.
That was my initial thinking. But, then I started looking at the Bimini top and asked myself if my money would best be spent on that rather than something I may not use. Decisions, decisions...

Sponsored
OP
OP
Y2Dre

Y2Dre

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've off-roaded many years with open diffs, including 10 years in Colorado hitting mountain trails. That's my CJ7 (see profile pic) going up some slickrock on a trip to Moab. It has open diffs. You likely don't need open diffs - would be a waste of money. To be fair though, I'm not into buying just in case or to imagine using something like some people. Either way, take your new Bronco to explore some trails, it's a lot of fun.
I appreciate that honest feedback and I'm pretty sure I'll take your advice and go exploring. I have to admit y'all are getting me hyped up for it!

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How did you compensate for the fact that if you get one wheel going in the air you won’t have traction as the other wheel won’t spin? Generally curious as I’ve never not had a locker off road and figured if your wheel gets in the air with nothing underneath the other side wheel won’t have enough torque to pull through.

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 Hummer, Explorer Sport, BMW R1200C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A Locker is a good thing to have....trust me
Ford Bronco Does It Make Sense to Add Rear Lockers to a Daily Driver? 1604011640070

No lockers.... get out your boots, recovery tracks, your shovel and be prepared to spend some time getting muddy

Last edited:

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I appreciate that honest feedback and I'm pretty sure I'll take your advice and go exploring. I have to admit y'all are getting me hyped up for it!
You'll be amazed at how far open diffs and 33's can take you!

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Idiot moment, I’m a sports car guy. What exactly does a locking differential do? Lol. What benefit does it serve?

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How did you compensate for the fact that if you get one wheel going in the air you won’t have traction as the other wheel won’t spin? Generally curious as I’ve never not had a locker off road and figured if your wheel gets in the air with nothing underneath the other side wheel won’t have enough torque to pull through.
You gently apply the brake to slow down the free spinning wheel. That should help stop sending all the power where you don’t want it and hopefully start sending power where you need it.

Jeeps have BLD brake lock differential where the computer applies the brakes to the problem tire in that situation. It helps nonlocker trucks.

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That was my initial thinking. But, then I started looking at the Bimini top and asked myself if my money would best be spent on that rather than something I may not use. Decisions, decisions...
In your case, the Bimini top will cost the same amount to add later. As someone else mentioned the locker will be much more to add later. Install alone for a set of gears in one axle was $400 for me letalone the cost of the locker unit.
Sponsored