Sponsored

Does the 2.7L Ecoboost require premium gas?

OP
OP
KindaOrange

KindaOrange

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None... hurry up Ford!
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

regular per Ford's site (y)

gas.PNG

*edit: I re-read your post and if its more of an asking an opinion, I would stick with factor recommendation unless you go with an aftermarket tune that is for a specific fuel.
Reg-ler woooo! ?
Sponsored

BecauseMotor

Wildtrak
First Name
Springer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI, Ducati Panigale 959, Triumph T100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This.

Question for those in the know about this kind of stuff... even if premium grade fuel is not required on the 2.7L engine, does the engine perform any better with higher grade fuel than it does with standard?
Only if the ECU is calibrated for it. No point in running it unless tuned for it.

Does anyone know if the Ford performance tune on the Ranger requires 93 octan? I’m hoping that tune is available around launch for the Bronco.
I really hope so. Easy way to make more power is upping the octane and having the ECU calibrated for it.

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Question for those in the know about this kind of stuff... even if premium grade fuel is not required on the 2.7L engine, does the engine perform any better with higher grade fuel than it does with standard?
I don't have an answer for you.
It would depend on the engine management.
If it has a detonation sensor, it could regulate boost pressure..... giving maximum boost before detonation. Therefore, better gas would result in higher boost.
My '88 Saab 900 did it that way, while my '79 turbo Regal just retarded the timing when it 'heard' detonation. The Saab system was lightyears ahead of the Buick, and that was 32 years ago.

I would expect a 2021 Ford to have a system which takes advantage of higher octane fuel, and maximizes engine performance when using it.

Longshot

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here's a good overview of the 2.7L Eco... It mentions as well that there is engine management that controls the power output based on the octane rating, however it specifically mentions the 3.5l in this case... So you could assume the same is true for any of the Eco's, but that may or not be the case...?
https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/ford-2-7l-ecoboost-engine/

Jp215

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m not 100% but I do believe with exception of diesels and f350s-f750s that all new ford and Lincoln’s have cap less filler necks.
Speaking of fuel, do we think the tank will be capless? My 2009 F-150 is capless. Did they keep this?

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Speaking of fuel, do we think the tank will be capless? My 2009 F-150 is capless. Did they keep this?
Ford Bronco Does the 2.7L Ecoboost require premium gas? 1600742471300

Looks like it to me.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's a good overview of the 2.7L Eco... It mentions as well that there is engine management that controls the power output based on the octane rating, however it specifically mentions the 3.5l in this case... So you could assume the same is true for any of the Eco's, but that may or not be the case...?
https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/ford-2-7l-ecoboost-engine/
More interested in the cold air intake to boost it... On a side note, glad mine doesn't have the start/stop. I would bypass that as soon as I got home!

SpecOpsHippie

Wildtrak
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Denali 2500HD, Audi Q5, Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It would surprise me if the premium didn’t make a difference in a modern engine (with late gen ECUs etc). The question I have for the SMEs out there is does it affect tour ECUs ability to learn your driving style? Does it interfere negatively at all with mapping?

Sponsored

SoccerDude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
According to Ford Edge Sport Forum (2.7L TT Engine) it does make a difference but it is unnoticeable. I cannot tell the difference personally but it is estimated to have up to a 15hp swing based on the fuel.

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The owners manual for my 2017 F150 recommends Top Tier fuel for the 2.7L. My understanding is that Top Tier fuel is certified for having a certain mix of detergents to maintain a cleaner engine.

Like others I do cycle premium fuel every few fill ups and notice a slight uptick in MPG.

ericmario

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
i've been using premium (91 octane here in toronto) since day one for my Mustang Ecoboost 2.3. Premium gas has less contaminants so I tend to look at cleaner gas being better for the longevity of the car more so than for performance

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes, unquestionably.

https://cdn.dealereprocess.org/cdn/brochures/lincoln/2018-mkx.pdf

Go to the bottom of page 4 and look at that tiny text at the bottom of the page:

Horsepower and torque ratings achieved with 93-octane fuel.
Ford's spark management is very sophisticated and constantly monitors for the indicators of knock on a per-cylinder basis, then advances or retards timing on individual cylinders to maximize power production. Running a lower octane fuel results in earlier knock, so power will be pulled. You are 100% fine and 100% safe running 87 octane, but you will not be making as much peak power/torque.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
i've been using premium (91 octane here in toronto) since day one for my Mustang Ecoboost 2.3. Premium gas has less contaminants so I tend to look at cleaner gas being better for the longevity of the car more so than for performance
How many contaminants do they allow in non-premium gas?
Sponsored