Sponsored

Does the 2.7L Ecoboost require premium gas?

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How many contaminants do they allow in non-premium gas?
I would also like to know.
I run 93 in my Turbo Acura because it says so in the manual and on the inside of the fuel door.
Runs great.
I run 93 in my C10, and used to run it in my VTX.

I remember the days where you could go to Amoco and they had sight glasses on the handles.
You could watch the fuel.
And I distinctly remember AMOCO Ultimate was as clear as water, and the 87 was dark amber.

I've been sold on 93 ever since and run it everywhere possible, even in my Cub Cadet mower (which is probably a waste of $ but I try and take care of my stuff).
Sponsored

OP
OP
KindaOrange

KindaOrange

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None... hurry up Ford!
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I run premium with every third fill up on my 3.5... You can tell a difference.
A worthwhile difference? Like vs the price change (reg. v prem. about 30% higher cost?)

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Yes, unquestionably.

https://cdn.dealereprocess.org/cdn/brochures/lincoln/2018-mkx.pdf

Go to the bottom of page 4 and look at that tiny text at the bottom of the page:

Ford's spark management is very sophisticated and constantly monitors for the indicators of knock on a per-cylinder basis, then advances or retards timing on individual cylinders to maximize power production. Running a lower octane fuel results in earlier knock, so power will be pulled. You are 100% fine and 100% safe running 87 octane, but you will not be making as much peak power/torque.
Ford site says the same when they quote HP and torque numbers.
Screenshot_20200922-125003.png

robo

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi hatch, CG 2022 Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If your car is tuned for 91/93, then you need it. if not, you'd be wasting your $$ on the higher grade.

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

no but I run 92/93 in my 3.5 as the gas mileage goes way up.

SoccerDude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
no but I run 92/93 in my 3.5 as the gas mileage goes way up.
I am pretty sure gas mileage has no effect from the fuel type, I think it was tested on projectFarm or Mythbusters. I sure as heck do not see a difference with the 2.7L TT ecoboost.

robo

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi hatch, CG 2022 Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Question for those in the know about this kind of stuff... even if premium grade fuel is not required on the 2.7L engine, does the engine perform any better with higher grade fuel than it does with standard?
Mike, in normal day to day operation I would say no. I've tried it before in an F-150, and the only difference I felt was in my bill fold. :)

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If it goes up enough, I guess it'd be worth it.
in pure form, its the same cost argument on flex fuel vehicles, there is a price point where running E-85 is cheaper (not lately since gas prices are down quite a bit). I run 92 in my F150 for several reasons not just for the added mpg. These ecoboost engines have some pretty smart timing and fuel trim maps based on octane usage.

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I remember the days where you could go to Amoco and they had sight glasses on the handles.
You could watch the fuel.
And I distinctly remember AMOCO Ultimate was as clear as water, and the 87 was dark amber.
I remember when gas was pink because it was "government gas" and they put a red dye in it. It was also 10 cents a gallon.

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Speaking of fuel, do we think the tank will be capless? My 2009 F-150 is capless. Did they keep this?
I saw one in a YouTube video that was capless!

ericmario

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
How many contaminants do they allow in non-premium gas?
I don't have concrete numbers to back my claims, so I'm not even going to try to quantify it haha.

On a high level, most of my mechanic friends tells me to use higher octane if possible if you want your fuel system, engine, etc., to last, especially FI (turbo) engines as higher octane/cleaner gas prevents engine knocks.

Fuzion2Bronco

Base
First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have the 2.7l turbo in my MKX and run regular. It puts your head back in the head rest in sport so never a need for premium fuel.

Ford Bronco Does the 2.7L Ecoboost require premium gas? Screenshot_20200922-125003
Even Lincoln MKZ requires Regular Unleaded which was economical to maintain.

Internally_Combusted

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy C10
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There is a lot of misinformation around fuel octane ratings and how engines respond to them. The octane rating is a measurement of detonation resistance and nothing else. Most modern high compression turbo engines will make slightly more power from premium fueling due to octane and knock sensors allowing for very accurate timing adjustments so the engine can run safely on lower octane fuel if the owner so desires. These timing changes may very well lead to increased mpg when using premium fuel (though likely very minor) due to increased thermal efficiency (particularly at cruise load where a higher grade fuel will also allow the engine to run leaner without detonation).

This used to not be the case even 10 years ago. Knock detection and prevention systems were much more rudimentary and designed primarily to prevent catastrophic failure. In engines like those using a fuel type with octane ratings higher than recommended by a manufacturer was pointless because the engine simply could not utilize the extra detonation resistance.

As far as premium fuel being cleaner than regular. That's horseshit. Modern fuels all contain adequate detergents to keep modern fuel systems clean. You are much more likely to experience a fuel contamination issue because a particular station has poorly maintained tanks, old gas (low turnover of gas in their tanks), or a bad batch (fairly rare).
Sponsored

Last edited: