Sponsored

Does the 2.7L Ecoboost require premium gas?

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This used to not be the case even 10 years ago. Knock detection and prevention systems were much more rudimentary and designed primarily to prevent catastrophic failure. In engines like those using a fuel type with octane ratings higher than recommended by a manufacturer was pointless because the engine simply could not utilize the extra detonation resistance.
So many people repeating the same BS they heard from their "car expert" uncle Cooter who drives an '87 Camaro and has no clue how modern stuff works.

As far as premium fuel being cleaner than regular. That's horseshit.
(y)(y)(y)
Sponsored

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What Laminar and Internally_Combusted said. Higher octane gas like 91/93 and especially E85 resist detonation by having higher flash points. You can run higher pressure and temperatures without preignition. Turbo cars can also use the wastegate to regulate boost levels along with the dynamic compression of the engine using the variable valve timing adjustments. Spark and fuel timing can be retarded and advance too, on an individual cylinder basis.

It's not uncommon for stations in my area to offer 100% gasoline 0% ethanol fuel. I've used it in many of my cars (5.4 F150, 5.0 Mustang, 3.6 Wrangler) and almost always get about 10% better mpg highway. That's not really a surprise because ethanol doesn't contain the same amount of energy as gasoline per volume. E85 compatible vehicles have to have injectors large enough to supply enough of the fuel to hit stoich air fuel ratio. Gasoline is around 14.7:1 air:fuel for stoich. E10 is 14:1. E85 is 9.85:1.

https://www.ecmtuning.com/wiki/e85fuel

CCross

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax, 2000 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the 2.7l turbo in my MKX and run regular. It puts your head back in the head rest in sport so never a need for premium fuel.

IMG_20200921_164048.jpg
Woo Pig

Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Title.

Since this motor is turbo'd, should I be running this ? on premium fuel?
If you want to get the advertised power out of the engine, then 93 is required. But the Ford engine computer will learn whatever you are using 87-93 and will operate fine at reduced power. In many areas 93 is not available (only 91 or 92). It is entirely your choice.

If you purchase an after-market tune, they are usually for a specific octane that you specify (the factory octane-learning is disabled), but you are rewarded with higher power. With aftermarket tune, you should never use lower octane fuel than specified by the tune.

Longshot

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
More interested in the cold air intake to boost it... On a side note, glad mine doesn't have the start/stop. I would bypass that as soon as I got home!
Me as well! I held off on the mods on my F-150, but some decent gains can be made on the 2.7... Will definitely be making some on the Bronco!

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I usually run 87 in my 3.5 ecoboost, but filled up with 89 my past few tanks. Believe it or not, I can definitely feel that the engine drives better, lugs less, etc. i don’t think i’ll go back to 87.

TOWMA8R

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ECOBOOST F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
With adaptive tuning and a turbo, it gets full EPA HP Performance in the highest Octane. If it has a turbo, it will have premium gas in my tank.... IMO

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If the horse power and torque ratings do not include the caveat "With 91+ octane" you should be good on 89.

Sponsored

Cool Hand Luke

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

what do you mean by this? Im fairly sure the bronco would have start/stop. every other ford seems to, every car on the market really... This link even comments on start stop for the 2.7L.
Not all Ford associated products do. The Lincoln MKX 2.7L doesn't. Could be a good reason they've said no V8 since there would be EPA issues.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

they added it to the MKX (Nautilus now), not sure what model year, maybe 19MY when the name changed.
That sucks. I did get to thinking that I saw the Overlander build in Tennessee. They drove it out of the unveiling to park with the other Broncos. It didn't start/stop but rather engine ran during all stops, forward and reverse. This is of course a pre-market build, but gives us a significant chance you're not going to be driving a 4x4 that will shut off while rock crawling.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

was just chatting in another thread about heated steering wheel and there is a clear shot of a start stop button in the controls, so its definitely equipped.
Then there will be a by-pass youtube video on a week from the first one rolling off the assembly line I bet.

Space Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 1st Edition, etc...
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have the 2.7l turbo in my MKX and run regular. It puts your head back in the head rest in sport so never a need for premium fuel.

IMG_20200921_164048.jpg
Another razorback on the loose... Dadgummit.
Sponsored