First Name
Aric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Does the Bronco have a chance against the 4Runners reputation? Would Toyota guys be foolish to leave their tried true Dependable 4x4’s for something American? Thoughts ? ?
Sponsored

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The cult of 4Runner reliability is unflappable. Those that have been indoctrinated literally care about nothing else. T4r.org is a fairly active forum and has had maybe a dozen posts (posts, not threads) about the Bronco since the reveal and they're mostly, "yeah, but what about reliability!"

That being said, plenty of people move away from 4Runners because they think they're boring. The Bronco will not be boring. We'll see, but I expect the Bronco to steal away some 4Runner buyers/owners, but not a ton.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I currently own 2 Toyotas and have bought 5 new. I don't see where the Bronco competes with anything in the current Toyota lineup. If they decide to bring back the FJ concept, then yeah, but for now I'll be keeping my Toyotas and getting a Bronco as they have different purposes.

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I currently own 2 Toyotas and have bought 5 new. I don't see where the Bronco competes with anything in the current Toyota lineup. If they decide to bring back the FJ concept, then yeah, but for now I'll be keeping my Toyotas and getting a Bronco as they have different purposes.
I loved My FJ, I wish they would bring it back...

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I loved My FJ, I wish they would bring it back...

I loved my FJ, but for whatever reason it was easy to let go. I'm hoping the 2 door Bronco does everything it did, but better.

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
People have definitely cross shopped 4Runners and Jeeps. Many in the 4Runner off road community are Jeep converts. I don't know how many go the other way.

It's arguable that the Bronco is too similar to the Wrangler to cut into the 4Runner market too deep. 4Runner off roaders tend to lean towards overlanding, and besides reliability the 4Runner's cargo space, payload, towing and ride comfort are advantages over the Jeep. Other than ride comfort, the Bronco is basically the same as a Jeep in all of those areas.

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm ditching my 2016 4Runner TRD Pro for the Bronco. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my 4Runner but it is pretty boring. We actually own 2 Pros so I'll still have one in the garage. The 6 Gen 4Runner is coming but I'm not expecting anything life shattering though. They do have a cult like following but I think many like me will leave do to them being so conservative and not giving us what we want. I got Banned from the Pro FB page just for saying that I ordered a Bronco and if anyone else was jumping ship. It started a shit show. :ROFLMAO:

side.jpg

Zeke013

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would 100% buy a Land Cruiser redone in the old school open-air style, even over a Bronco.

Ford Bronco Does the Bronco stand a chance against the 4Runners reputation 1970-toyota-land-cruiser

But they're nowhere near doing that.

Wildtrak it is.

Broncc

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Base
Having worked within the Toyota brand for ten years, it's extremely disappointing that the current generation 4Runner has seen NO changes since its release in 2010, and no drivetrain upgrades since 2005. The thing is an antique by current standards, and unless they do something crazy with the next generation, I'll be giving Ford a shot.

Toyota's mechanical reliability is one thing, but it's pointless when it hasn't changed fundamentally in 15 years.

Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m coming from an FJ...and it’s an easy move. 4Runner would be even easier.

dpav02

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does the Bronco have a chance against the 4Runners reputation? Would Toyota guys be foolish to leave their tried true Dependable 4x4’s for something American? Thoughts ? ?
I'll be honest, I don't think it will and I'm not expecting it to.

I have a 2006 4Runner with 176,000 currently and that thing has been the best vehicle I've ever freaking owned.

It's just that the new Broncos will have basically everything I want. All the cool tech, offroad ability, ability to take the doors and roof off etc.

The new 2020 4Runners are almost the same as my 2006 except for a small crappy screen and rearview camera.

So yes they're reliable and tough as hell. But old and boring and lack power with only 5 gears in the auto transmission (they don't even offer a manual).

OP
OP
MadJawa889

MadJawa889

Black Diamond
First Name
Aric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The cult of 4Runner reliability is unflappable. Those that have been indoctrinated literally care about nothing else. T4r.org is a fairly active forum and has had maybe a dozen posts (posts, not threads) about the Bronco since the reveal and they're mostly, "yeah, but what about reliability!"

That being said, plenty of people move away from 4Runners because they think they're boring. The Bronco will not be boring. We'll see, but I expect the Bronco to steal away some 4Runner buyers/owners, but not a ton.
Solid answer ??

OP
OP
MadJawa889

MadJawa889

Black Diamond
First Name
Aric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
People have definitely cross shopped 4Runners and Jeeps. Many in the 4Runner off road community are Jeep converts. I don't know how many go the other way.

It's arguable that the Bronco is too similar to the Wrangler to cut into the 4Runner market too deep. 4Runner off roaders tend to lean towards overlanding, and besides reliability the 4Runner's cargo space, payload, towing and ride comfort are advantages over the Jeep. Other than ride comfort, the Bronco is basically the same as a Jeep in all of those areas.
I could definitely see this.

OP
OP
MadJawa889

MadJawa889

Black Diamond
First Name
Aric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm ditching my 2016 4Runner TRD Pro for the Bronco. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my 4Runner but it is pretty boring. We actually own 2 Pros so I'll still have one in the garage. The 6 Gen 4Runner is coming but I'm not expecting anything life shattering though. They do have a cult like following but I think many like me will leave do to them being so conservative and not giving us what we want. I got Banned from the Pro FB page just for saying that I ordered a Bronco and if anyone else was jumping ship. It started a shit show. :ROFLMAO:

Ford Bronco Does the Bronco stand a chance against the 4Runners reputation 1970-toyota-land-cruiser
Lmao savage
Sponsored