Sponsored

Does the Bronco stand a chance against the 4Runners reputation

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They're pretty different vehicles. It depends on what you want. Toyota will be fine though. They have an almost cult like following.
Almost?

Every conversation with a toyota person goes like this:

Why do you like toyotas?
They're good cars.
What makes them good?
They're very reliable.
You do realize they are pretty much the record holders in number of recalls right?
That just shows they care about their customers.
Recalls are mandated about the NHTSA, they don't do them as free upgrades for their customers...
They're good cars and are very reliable.

every. single. time... lol.

I can remember some of their funniest flops... The tundra tailgate crumbling when they released the big bad new tundra... their kneejerk reaction was to say their tailgate was designed to hold 200lbs. To which every guy was like "Wtf, I have to get a running jump to get in my truck now?".

Then there were camshafts snapping in the tundras. And tie rods failing in the land cruisers, and a bunch of them accelerating for no reason because they couldn't design a throttle by wire pedal like every other manufacturer out there with 2 sensors... All very serious and mostly safety related recalls, yet their owners are oblivious. Not to mention they all feel like a tin can, and not quite mercedes vault-door closing kind of feeling that you expect from hearing their owners talk about them...
Sponsored

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Almost?

Every conversation with a toyota person goes like this:

Why do you like toyotas?
They're good cars.
What makes them good?
They're very reliable.
You do realize they are pretty much the record holders in number of recalls right?
That just shows they care about their customers.
Recalls are mandated about the NHTSA, they don't do them as free upgrades for their customers...
They're good cars and are very reliable.

every. single. time... lol.

I can remember some of their funniest flops... The tundra tailgate crumbling when they released the big bad new tundra... their kneejerk reaction was to say their tailgate was designed to hold 200lbs. To which every guy was like "Wtf, I have to get a running jump to get in my truck now?".

Then there were camshafts snapping in the tundras. And tie rods failing in the land cruisers, and a bunch of them accelerating for no reason because they couldn't design a throttle by wire pedal like every other manufacturer out there with 2 sensors... All very serious and mostly safety related recalls, yet their owners are oblivious. Not to mention they all feel like a tin can, and not quite mercedes vault-door closing kind of feeling that you expect from hearing their owners talk about them...
I didn’t realize I was so annoying, being a Toyota owner. Hopefully I’ll be cured when I get my Bronco.

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I didn’t realize I was so annoying, being a Toyota owner. Hopefully I’ll be cured when I get my Bronco.
It's usually the corolla or camry owners that are like that. You have probably the most fun 'yota made in the past 15 years... The rest of their lineup is really as exciting as swimming in wallpaper paste.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's usually the corolla or camry owners that are like that. You have probably the most fun 'yota made in the past 15 years... The rest of their lineup is really as exciting as swimming in wallpaper paste.
Very true. My 4Runner has been great, but the Bronco is so much more exciting. If it were not for the bronco coming out, I would just keep the 4Runner. I’m excited for a little more power.

SoccerDude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a 2007 4runner rwd that is my daily driver until I get the 2dr base Bronco Sasquatch. The thing is the 4runner is a beast in reliability at 150k miles and runs like new after shock, strut, and brake change. Used it today to get tons of wood for a playground I am almost done building, that cab can hold more long wood than most trucks.

I only had to add to the 4runner led lights, rear camera, pioneer DVD, subwoofer, and raptor line the vehicle due to fading paint....but it's perfect now.....until the Bronco comes then it will be saved forever for the kiddos.

4runnera are so boring...but reliable for sure. Bronco here I come.

Sponsored

RickyBobby

Badlands
First Name
Glynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350, 2017 F150, 1996 Grand Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does the Bronco have a chance against the 4Runners reputation? Would Toyota guys be foolish to leave their tried true Dependable 4x4’s for something American? Thoughts ? ?
I for one think American cars are much better than Japanese cars or trucks. Plus I’d find it embarrassing driving any kind of foreign vehicle as I am an American! Finally, this Bronco May be the best thought out, designed and engineered production vehicle ever.

PELS82

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Toyotas are great and their reputation is what it is for a reason. 4 runners, Tacomas. Great reliable vehicles but they’re just so boring. Tech is always outdated. The coolest thing about the TRD Pro is the damn hood scoop and it doesn’t do anything. So yes they’re reliable. But man they’re just really boring.

WldOne

Outer Banks
First Name
Jillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I had a 2018 4Runner TRD OffRoad. I modified it some. I loved the SUV, the space was great, and I thought it looked great. But, it was slow, had old technology, and I averaged 17 mpg combined city/hwy with only 32” duratracs and a mild lift. Those parts I didn’t like about it.

I’ve been waiting for this Bronco since I heard the original announcement back a couple years ago. The Ecoboost engine are quick and fuel efficient. The look is like the classic Bronco, has more technology, and can fit bigger tires with less lift. Plus, the modular roof is awesome!

My biggest debate right now is 2 vs 4 door and Sasquatch package vs customize with aftermarket parts.

72C2BA29-67DC-4406-B69A-DCEF86C2ACE4.jpeg

SoccerDude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am fighting off the wife from a 5th gen 4runner as reliable as they may be. As a 4th gen owner the 5th gen feels so damn slow and heavy, I refuse the 5th gen for that alone. I am not sure I will win this battle, I am still pushing her towards a 4dr Bronco to match my 2dr Bronco.

millsra13

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150, 2019 Toyota 4runner, 2003 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Current 4runner TRD OR owner with a badlands reserved. Although I’m not a 4runner cult follower, I am keeping the 4runner just due to how dependable it is. It will be the wife’s vehicle. Yes they are 100% boring, but that’s also why they hold their value so well...they don’t change. There is no reason to buy a new one when a 10 year old used one has the same tech.
I don’t think they really compete in the same space though. Like has been mentioned before, it’s more for over landing/camping/family stuff. I don’t think Bronco will steal anywhere near the folks from 4runner as they will from Wrangler.

Sponsored

Rogue Tarheel

Badlands
First Name
Catherine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW T2, C10, Silverado, 4Runner, Camaro, Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We've got a '02 4Runner, RWD that's got almost 240,000 miles on it. Never had any issues. I refuse to get rid of it. It's not exciting, but that's not why we bought it. It's our dog/lake truck that will be our kid's DD in the next year or so. We recently drove a 2019 Tundra, but I wasn't excited about it. Definitely looking forward to driving a 2 door Bronco!

FatThunder84

Raptor
First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Dodge Ram W250, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If Toyota would've updated the 4Runner in 2018 or 2019, Id be driving one of those right now. They are waaaay too outdated for the price, same goes for the Tacoma.

If they ever decided to reboot the FJ to be similar to the Bronco (removable top, FJ40 remake, not the cruiser), Id definitely give it a hard look. Thats where Jeep has completely owned the market: the ability for open air riding along with off road capabilities.

kje22kje

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 4Runner TRD Off Rd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Came from a 2006 F150 that I would still have if I didn't fall victim to the 5.7 Triton problem. Went from that to currently own a 2017 TRD Off Road partially because I really like the vehicle and partially because I was p.o'd at Ford and didn't want to go back to F150. Have held off on making any major changes (tires/lift) while waiting out the Bronco. I've got a B.D. reserved and will wait and see where it comes in on $$$. I really want the Bronco, I don't need it. In the run up to Bronco being available, if Toyota were to launch/announce the 6gen Runner with more open air capability (panoramic roof, keeping the drop down rear window) and keep the exterior design cues plus NOT use the Tacoma transmission I might be convinced to wait longer and stay Toyota.

Dmk08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I sold an 08 4wd limited w/ 138,000 miles to buy the Bronco. I sold it prematurely because I got offered an insane amount of money for it in my opinion.

Nothing but regular maintenance, a gas cap, and 1 wheel bearing the entire life.

I do not expect the Bronco to have the 4runners resale or reliability. It's a Ford after all. Its just something I had to accept. (I have owned 5 Fords in the past)

If a turbo V6 6th gen drops before the Bronco lands I could be running back to Yota :)

Maxmillian1

Badlands
First Name
Roscoe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The cult of 4Runner reliability is unflappable. Those that have been indoctrinated literally care about nothing else. T4r.org is a fairly active forum and has had maybe a dozen posts (posts, not threads) about the Bronco since the reveal and they're mostly, "yeah, but what about reliability!"

That being said, plenty of people move away from 4Runners because they think they're boring. The Bronco will not be boring. We'll see, but I expect the Bronco to steal away some 4Runner buyers/owners, but not a ton.
I'm an owner of a 2002 4runner Sport and it is still running and looking like it's new. The reason I haven't bought a Newer 4runner is because why buy a new $40,000 truck for the same reliability and MPG that I already have with NO new bells and whistles. I've had remote start and a touch screen with more and better speakers for YEARS now???? So I'm hoping the Bronco will be a breath of fresh air in my garage, Come on FORD I'm counting on you!!!!!!
Sponsored