John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 F-150, '13 Golf TDI, '21 GX460
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If a turbo V6 6th gen drops before the Bronco lands I could be running back to Yota :)
I’m with you. Wife and I love the 2021 Bronco. That said the upcoming 2022 4Runner is our Plan B if Bronco launch goes sideways. Expecting traditional conservative Toyota evolution rather than radical redesign. However updated power train options, driver aids and latest infotainment. We have had two 4runners, handed down to kids who still drive them, and still bulletproof. Ford and Toyo trucks both high in my book.
Sponsored

WildTrak

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m with you. Wife and I love the 2021 Bronco. That said the upcoming 2022 4Runner is our Plan B if Bronco launch goes sideways. Expecting traditional conservative Toyota evolution rather than radical redesign. However updated power train options, driver aids and latest infotainment. We have had two 4runners, handed down to kids who still drive them, and still bulletproof. Ford and Toyo trucks both high in my book.
Well said. Pretty much my way of thinking as well. Ever since I saw this picture, I would be happy with any of them. Looked at a Land Cruiser once and couldn't believe the sticker price and forgot about it. But this picture makes me appreciate the timeless classy look... but only when outfitted for the trails/overland lifestyle.

Ford Bronco Does the Bronco stand a chance against the 4Runners reputation 1596749642382

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I believe the most recent rumors are that the next gen 4Runner will be on the new TNGA-F platform that will underpin all Toyota body on frame models. That means a complete re-design and possibly whole new manufacturing strategy, in other words, it may be built alongside Tundra and Tacoma in North American plants rather than in Japan.

So basically, not a conservative evolution, lol.

Roundabout

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was researching the 4runner as my next vehicle when Ford finally made the Bronco look like it was actually going to happen.
The 4runner probably offers everything I need for my wilderness trips but....look, it's a Bronco!.
Still, if it looks like I won't take delivery past next summer I might swing back to the 4runner. Not putting my life on hold for a vehicle.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My gas millage with it lifted and 33s is 13.9mpg. That is its average over the last 5 years of owning it. I am hoping the Bronco does better. I don't think my roof rack helps either.

Sponsored

John B+9

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 F-150, '13 Golf TDI, '21 GX460
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

That means a complete re-design and possibly whole new manufacturing strategy, in other words, it may be built alongside Tundra and Tacoma in North American plants rather than in Japan.

So basically, not a conservative evolution, lol.
Good point. I’ve read the same, plus potentially Land Cruiser on the same platform as well. Evolutionary in the sense of familiar body on frame architecture utilizing lessons learned from previous generations. Not a body-cladded Highlander with AWD and black painted wheels. ?

Hans

Outer Banks
First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm ditching my 2016 4Runner TRD Pro for the Bronco. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my 4Runner but it is pretty boring. We actually own 2 Pros so I'll still have one in the garage. The 6 Gen 4Runner is coming but I'm not expecting anything life shattering though. They do have a cult like following but I think many like me will leave do to them being so conservative and not giving us what we want. I got Banned from the Pro FB page just for saying that I ordered a Bronco and if anyone else was jumping ship. It started a shit show. :ROFLMAO:

side.jpg
One of the online shop techs figures the bronco not lasting . The turbo 4
Banger will fade at 90k miles .

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm ditching my 2016 4Runner TRD Pro for the Bronco. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my 4Runner but it is pretty boring. We actually own 2 Pros so I'll still have one in the garage. The 6 Gen 4Runner is coming but I'm not expecting anything life shattering though. They do have a cult like following but I think many like me will leave do to them being so conservative and not giving us what we want. I got Banned from the Pro FB page just for saying that I ordered a Bronco and if anyone else was jumping ship. It started a shit show. :ROFLMAO:

Ford Bronco Does the Bronco stand a chance against the 4Runners reputation 1596749642382
Are you located around Roseville Ca? I believe I have seen your 4Runner a few times.

SoccerDude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
In all seriousness, nothing will out do the 4runners reputation with longevity. The thing never changes over a 10+ year time frame. Close Thread :p.

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One of the online shop techs figures the bronco not lasting . The turbo 4
Banger will fade at 90k miles .
I seriously doubt that but I'm getting the 2.7L with has proven to be a damn good engine. It's no Toyota 4.0L but taken care of properly I don't foresee a problem.

Are you located around Roseville Ca? I believe I have seen your 4Runner a few times.
No I'm in South Louisiana. Farthest I've been that way in the 4Runner is Ouray Co.

In all seriousness, nothing will out do the 4runners reputation with longevity. The thing never changes over a 10+ year time frame. Close Thread :p.
You are correct there. The 4.0L is damn near bullet proof and that old antiquated 5-speed is stout and reliable.

Sponsored

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No I'm in South Louisiana. Farthest I've been that way in the 4Runner is Ouray
well sir, the. You have a 4runner doppelgänger here in CA. I’m going to take a pic of it next time I see it.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does the Bronco have a chance against the 4Runners reputation? Would Toyota guys be foolish to leave their tried true Dependable 4x4’s for something American? Thoughts ? ?
Meh..with the advent of robotics, computer simulation using AI, and all other advancements the differences in dependability is nill. I have no idea what component percentage Toyota 4Runner has if any, manufacturered in China, but a lot of their other vehicles are increasing dramatically. With the new USMCA..a lot of the Chinese stuff is getting cut out of American vehicles, The component % of USA made parts in Trucks has to be 70%, all other vehicles @75% from North America (USA, Mexico, Canada) Chinese made stuff is just junk..just using replacement parts as an example, the fit is terrible, quality is subpower and sometimes you have to return parts 2-3 times to get one that's right.

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Meh..with the advent of robotics, computer simulation using AI, and all other advancements the differences in dependability is nill. I have no idea what component percentage Toyota 4Runner has if any, manufacturered in China, but a lot of their other vehicles are increasing dramatically. With the new USMCA..a lot of the Chinese stuff is getting cut out of American vehicles, The component % of USA made parts in Trucks has to be 70%, all other vehicles @75% from North America (USA, Mexico, Canada) Chinese made stuff is just junk..just using replacement parts as an example, the fit is terrible, quality is subpower and sometimes you have to return parts 2-3 times to get one that's right.
There is a couple of things that make the current 4Runner so damn reliable. First of all it's proven ancient technology. They are using the same near bullet proof 4.0L from 2002 and a solid old 5-speed auto. Along with this, the tech stuff is antiquated as well. whether you consider this good or not the fact is it's proven. Secondly, like very few Toyotas now, the 4Runner is still completely built in the Japan factory. The assembly process and attention to detail is far superior to most others. Curious to see what the 6th gen 4Runner will bring but I'm betting it won't be as a solid of a vehicle any longer.
Sponsored