Sponsored

Does the Bronco Transmission Shift Faster than a Porsche PDK (Dual Clutch)?

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Seems likely.

No reason to believe the Ford version of the jointly developed transmission (10R60) doesn't shift just as fast as GMs 10R80 version. The latter is faster than (most likely) the 2017-ish Porsche PDK dual clutch.

Quicker shifts than a dual-clutch transmission – Testing has shown faster upshift times than the Porsche PDK dual-clutch transmission. In fact, the 1-2 upshift is 36-percent quicker than the PDK, while the 2-3 and 3-4 upshifts are 27-percent and 26-percent quicker, respectively.
Quoted here from GM.

As a *HUGE* fan of the PDK in my 911, I can't wait to row the 10R60 through the gears in my Raptor.
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No reason to believe the Ford version of the jointly developed transmission (10R60) doesn't shift just as fast as GMs 10R80 version. The latter is faster than (most likely) the 2017-ish Porsche PDK dual clutch.
Fords 10R60 and 10R80, are 2 different transmissions. Although still very similar.

The Ford 10R80 and the GM 10L80 are basically the same.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OP
OP
swamp2

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Sponsored
OP
OP
swamp2

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Good find. The detail that these trans run hot is interesting. Their normal operating temp is above the peak I'd like to see in other rigs!
Yeah, the 10 speeds do normally operate pretty hot. But that's a pretty normal temperature for all newer ford transmissions. Most are at operating temperature around 190 degrees or higher.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Seems likely.

Quoted here from GM.

As a *HUGE* fan of the PDK in my 911, I can't wait to row the 10R60 through the gears in my Raptor.
@damarble is rolling in his grave

OP
OP
swamp2

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Seems likely.

Quoted here from GM.

Yep a 6 figure car shifts slower than a $40k truck. Yep Porsche didn't spend millions on a PDK.

Sponsored
OP
OP
swamp2

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yep a 6 figure car shifts slower than a $40k truck. Yep Porsche didn't spend millions on a PDK.
Hmmm. I'm a big Porsche and PDK fan (and owner). Sure they made a large investment in their PDK development. That said, GM and Ford did the same for their jointly developed 10 speed. This transmission will be used for more years and end up in more vehicles than the PDK. A large R&D budget was absolutely justified.

Automatic tranny's have also gotten so much better in general in the last decade+. It could be that some lower end vehicles specifically have software which makes for slower shifts. It is all down to the software these days automatic or dual clutch, the 10 speed hardware should all permit very fast shifts.

In short, I believe the GM reference and don't see any technological reason it is improbable or unlikley.

Last edited:

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Seems likely.

Quoted here from GM.

Not much reason to believe it does shift that fast either....Gm does not build a 10R60 to my knowledge and the presumption that it shifts the same as a GM is a stretch. Having owned 4 porsche, I have to say that the broncos auto does NOT feel like it shifts anywhere near as fast as my Macan did. Also as you mentioned, the shift logic is far superior in the porsche. In upshifts the porsche RPMs drop virtually instantly ....while the Bronco seems to rpm-hang on upshifts. Down shifts are similar tho as I can be rolling along at 15-20mph and floor the Bronco and it will bark the 40s tires loose on dry pavement! Impressive firm, fast downshifts.

If you think your Braptor your waiting for will shift as good as your porsche, I think you'll be sorely disappointed.

Even in the f150 forums which do use the transmission you mentioned, I see more complaining about shift points than bragging about porsche-like-shift speeds.

OP
OP
swamp2

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Not much reason to believe it does shift that fast either....Gm does not build a 10R60 to my knowledge and the presumption that it shifts the same as a GM is a stretch. Having owned 4 porsche, I have to say that the broncos auto does NOT feel like it shifts anywhere near as fast as my Macan did. Also as you mentioned, the shift logic is far superior in the porsche. In upshifts the porsche RPMs drop virtually instantly ....while the Bronco seems to rpm-hang on upshifts. Down shifts are similar tho as I can be rolling along at 15-20mph and floor the Bronco and it will bark the 40s tires loose on dry pavement! Impressive firm, fast downshifts.

If you think your Braptor your waiting for will shift as good as your porsche, I think you'll be sorely disappointed.

Even in the f150 forums which do use the transmission you mentioned, I see more complaining about shift points than bragging about porsche-like-shift speeds.
The 10R60 is part of a family of transmissions jointly developed and sold by both GM and Ford. Other than a difference in peak torque capacity this is a family so their performance should be quite similar. Maybe a better way to say that is that their theoretical peak performance should be very similar.

It is also safe to assume that TCU software between Raptor and non-Raptor are significantly different. Thus your Bronco very well may not be a match transmission performance wise compared to the Raptor.

Ultimately do I expect Braptors to match or exceed a PDK overall, no, but I also believe GMs press release on shift times.
Sponsored