Sponsored

Does the roof have an inherent design/structural issue?

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If 4 door sas racks are magically being added to 2022 (according to ford), I sincerely believe they will be reinforcing the hard top internals (specific to the hard top not the actual body of the truck). Maybe around the C pillar and areas above the body crossbar. A cargo box is mounted to a rail, thats fixed to the windshield, and the upper C-pillar section of the hardtop. That load carries through the hardtop C pillar to the body's shoulder line. There is less flex on the 2 door, since theres less of a span between the A and C pillar. If they were attempting to fix this in the mod top, maybe they were unable to finalize it in time. And why have a production run in the last 2-3 months of the year for a mod top if they were only going to change for 2022 to accommodate roof rails.

I believe the clamshell will be slightly redesigned in 2022 for the MIC top, and mod top, which means portions of the MIC top will be a one and done....or possibly the only way to get rails for 2022 will be with the mod top and they leave the MIC top alone and it will never been compatible with rails on a 4 door sas. Which wouldnā€™t surprise me because they are practically giving away the mic top with the sound deadening deduction and people will be less disappointed after the fact.

They said if you want a 4 dr sas with rails then you "need to wait until 2022". Did they say that "you could buy rails in 2022 for your 2021"? No they didnā€™t. If that was true, they absolutely would have said that, since its much less of a blow to the consumer. Which means the fix resides in the hardtop (of possibly some other area) but not the rails. If could be something as simple as tweaking the mounting points for the rails which entails a different clamshell. And when Esteban enters a planned Q&A session to provide a major update you could bet your ass the the words ā€œyou need to wait until 2022ā€ were pre-scripted as he needs to carefully address that.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BTomorama

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Webasto built a factory just for this product and another for FCA. They've been doing this stuff for decades and should have had this sorted long ago.
I'm pretty sure they didn't anticipate a world pandemic. But hey, they should have had some tarot card readers and mystics on staff.

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Webasto built a factory just for this product and another for FCA. They've been doing this stuff for decades and should have had this sorted long ago.
I don't think the tops are the problem. The purpose built factory was just completed wasn't it, months behind schedule?

If they had the new factory up and running when it was supposed to be I imagine it wouldn't be much of an issue.

Iron Oxide

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Slave 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My 2Ā¢ as someone with plastic manufacturing experience:

Even under the best circumstances molding plastic is a finicky process. A mold that has made 1000s of parts without issue can suddenly start being a problem. This being a new, relatively complex part that has to interface with other parts of differing materials means that getting to QC goals is exponentially harder.

As to the original question, I doubt (or at least hope) that it's not related to the roof structure, as that would be a fundamental engineering problem. I think the chances of that are relatively low, but stranger things have happened.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Let me check:

Ford Bronco Does the roof have an inherent design/structural issue? 1616792132029

Weā€™re good.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You bring up a good point, and I had similar concern about lack of a center roll bar on the Bronco. Why? Because my CJ-7 had a rubber bumper on the top of the center rollbar, that helped support and dampen vibration and movement of the hardtop. And the Bronco will not have that option.

But ... I asked on the big thread, if the new Wrangler JLs have any similar contact/support between the center roll bar and hardtop, and I think it was forum member ZachDanger who informed me there is no contact. For that reason, I don't think it's necessary to have a center roll bar supporting the hardtop on the new Bronco, or leastways on current Wranglers Jeep doesn't need it.
There is probably some crown to each of the hard top pieces to help them fit snugly.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This has been touched on a bit in the big thread about the Painted Modular Top reservation change, but it seems like a big issue: did Ford screw up by designing the Bronco without a center cross bar for the roof panels? They made a big deal about not having one overhead being an advantage over the Wrangler, but itā€™s always been in the back of my mind that the connection point between the two front panels and the larger backseat panel (on the 4 door) might cause a problem, like flexing a bit when you fasten them together for example.

This problem would be decreased with a lighter top, like the MIC, but a heavier, more substantial top would need more support, it seems.

Itā€™s hard to believe that thereā€™s a materials problem limiting production, which would be the most innocent explanation. Ford has incredible manufacturing capabilityā€”couldnā€™t they build 10,000 tops quickly if necessary? Iā€™m really concerned that the problem is waterproofing and flex with the roof panels, and I think this problem could even exist with the MIC tops. Hope someone out there better informed and more engineering-inclined can easy my mind.
What is your FCA employee number?

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm pretty sure they didn't anticipate a world pandemic. But hey, they should have had some tarot card readers and mystics on staff.
Like others have said and I agree, you can only play that card so long. How is Webasto able to produce the MIC top, but not the mod? I'm more inclined to think there's an issue with the mod top that's taking a lot of time to sort out. There were some rumors of top panels flying off at speed. Not sure if that was the mod top or not.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't think the tops are the problem. The purpose built factory was just completed wasn't it, months behind schedule?

If they had the new factory up and running when it was supposed to be I imagine it wouldn't be much of an issue.
According to the former member here that worked at Webasto and was sharing TMI and suddenly realized his job might be in jeopardy claimed Ford and Webasto employees were huddled around mod tops months ago. That suggests the plant has been open for some time. Also, where are they producing the MIC top?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Betting they have leak, fit or flex issues because of all the extra openings.

I donā€™t think the JLs have the handled bolt that goes thru the bar and clamshell and into the freedom panel like the JKs do. What I donā€™t know is if the dogs that now hold the freedom panel on clamp onto the clamshell or the crossbar. I am guessing the basic design is pretty much like Jeepā€™s though.

Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ANSWER TO OP'S ORIGINAL QUESTION:

YES. THE ISSUE IS THAT IT WILL NOT BE ON A BRONCO I WILL OWN IN THE NEAR OR EVEN SORT-OF DISTANT FUTURE. I AM USING ALL CAPS ON PURPOSE. YOU ARE WELCOME.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went on record this morning in a different thread but I'll go on record here with my comment - my hunch is that they are having some issues w/ the mod tops and them sealing correctly w/ the added weight. Wouldn't surprise me if at some point, they say free soft tops for everyone who are ordering a MY21.

They would have easily seen the mod top demand in much earlier threads about the white mod top and shadow black tops. So I'm not taking that as an excuse. Just like I'm not taking the "we retested and found that the sound deadening headliner didn't affect the GVWR on some models", which is complete BS.
Sponsored