Sponsored

Does the universal garage door opener function when the vehicle is off?

Quinn_the_eskimo

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep Scrambler, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’ve never had a vehicle with one built in like the Bronco will have. How exactly do they work? How are they programmed? I have an Overhead Door garage: https://www.overheaddoor.com/ Will it work with that company? My opener is currently just a visor attachment.
It's a bit like those universal remotes for televisions. Point, learn, use.
Sponsored

DLJohnson

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Harley Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How does the ACC mode work with push button starts? Genuine question, I've never owned one.
For most (if not all) push button start vehicles, the only difference is whether or not your foot is on the brake pedal. Foot on pedal=engine turns over. No pedal=acc only

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Why do we have to go all the way to LUX for a simple garage door opener though?
It really is a mystery. Maybe there is some kind of obnoxious patent royalty involved with them that we don’t know about.

OP
OP
JHawk

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can get universal garage door openers for $20 off of Amazon. The Lux package is egregiously expensive if all you want/care for out of it is garage doors openers.

With that, it is ridiculous that only the Lux packages come with garage door openers...
I agree. There are some feature that I like (active cruise) but the price does not justify the features that I would like to have. I put the money in other options instead.
I was just curious on how it functions. I have an opener on my key chain and never leave a functioning opener in a car left on the driveway. My phone can also open/close the doors but I mostly use it to check the status....OCD......"Did I close the door when I left?" I guess I am getting old :)

Sponsored

Fatdaddy

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Exactly. When my gf was shopping for a new car I said 'You make enough money that you shouldn't have to physically pull a key from your pocket and put it in an ignition' (very inexpensive vehicles have push button ignitions these days). The thought of NOT having a garage door opener from the factory on a brand new vehicle is insane to me
Yeah. This thing comes with a garage door opener but a Bronco doesn’t unless I up for Lux package?? The Rockstars need to explain that with a straight face. Come on man..

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/2294e9f3

Ford Bronco Does the universal garage door opener function when the vehicle is off? 1617854404834

Last edited:

Fatdaddy

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I agree. There are some feature that I like (active cruise) but the price does not justify the features that I would like to have. I put the money in other options instead.
I was just curious on how it functions. I have an opener on my key chain and never leave a functioning opener in a car left on the driveway. My phone can also open/close the doors but I mostly use it to check the status....OCD......"Did I close the door when I left?" I guess I am getting old :)
Hell my physical garage door opener and sensor barely even works when I click my button. Don’t want to spend the money to fix and rather just click it 74 times until it opens. But by all means let me spend $4k extra to get a garage door button included. I also don’t like how the dash usbs are only on Lux.. another topic covered in many threads already so I’ll digress...

Quinn_the_eskimo

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm assuming you have the myq app/opener. If you're not too old, you should be able to figure out how to use the Google assistant or maybe Alexa or Siri to do it. I have mine set up to open/close using voice commands through android auto (available through Sync head units). I don't use "open the garage door" as the command, though, or someone else would be able to shout that loud enough through my front door so the Google home hears it to get the garage door to open.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My SuperDuty and wife’s F150 both work with the truck off, it would be super annoying if it didn’t.

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I plan to try and replicate the factory look from the parts counter. Won’t know for sure until we see the wiring diagram for Bronco.

DLJohnson

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Harley Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm assuming you have the myq app/opener. If you're not too old, you should be able to figure out how to use the Google assistant or maybe Alexa or Siri to do it. I have mine set up to open/close using voice commands through android auto (available through Sync head units). I don't use "open the garage door" as the command, though, or someone else would be able to shout that loud enough through my front door so the Google home hears it to get the garage door to open.
Not everyone has their garage door opener linked to their assistant of choice (yet). I'd argue that very few people do at this point even though I do. I know it's a possibility but I laugh at the thought of someone going to every house on a block screaming 'open the garage door!!' until one finally opens

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I plan to try and replicate the factory look from the parts counter. Won’t know for sure until we see the wiring diagram for Bronco.
Careful or you might turn into Buzz Lightyear.

Quinn_the_eskimo

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not everyone has their garage door opener linked to their assistant of choice (yet). I'd argue that very few people do at this point even though I do. I know it's a possibility but I laugh at the thought of someone going to every house on a block screaming 'open the garage door!!' until one finally opens
Absolutely. I've had this Craftsman for 6yrs now and only just figured out how to do it. Would've been easier with a dumb opener/smart switch, myq has really messed up their integration. It takes a ridiculous combination of a hub, custom code, and IFTTT. But hey, at least there's finally a use for IFTTT.

If it ever gives me trouble, I'm moving to opengarage.io.

DLJohnson

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Harley Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Absolutely. I've had this Craftsman for 6yrs now and only just figured out how to do it. Would've been easier with a dumb opener/smart switch, myq has really messed up their integration. It takes a ridiculous combination of a hub, custom code, and IFTTT. But hey, at least there's finally a use for IFTTT.

If it ever gives me trouble, I'm moving to opengarage.io.
Honestly I can't tell you how many times I shut my garage then get 2 blocks from my house and think 'oh shit did I shut my garage?' and check my app. That's really all it's good for...
Sponsored