Sponsored

Does your (fully down) soft top bounce up and down?

Race Red Badlands

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
Tonight I took out the windows and put the soft top all the way down. This was maybe the 3rd time I’ve had it all the way down.

I took a short drive to Walgreens, going between 25-40 mph, and noticed that the top was bouncing up and down a lot. One speed bump in particular, but really any slight bump in the road had it going up and down. It wasn’t doing this the last time I had the top down, or maybe I just didn’t notice. Is this normal?

It made me think that I need to start using the straps to tie it down, but I’ve never felt like they were needed before.

If this isn’t normal, are there any fixes anyone suggests?

Edit: I added a pic and video just in case what I described isn’t clear. The bottom is latched and stays down, but the part that I’m moving in the video is what’s bouncing up and down.

7AD62250-45A7-4C2B-A5E1-7C022FC48C99.jpeg

Sponsored

Last edited:

tobands

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX , 2014 Escape Titaimium
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Think you answered your own question... "It made me think that I need to start using the straps to tie it down, but I’ve never felt like they were needed before. "

OP
OP

Race Red Badlands

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
Think you answered your own question... "It made me think that I need to start using the straps to tie it down, but I’ve never felt like they were needed before. "
I get that part, but I’m just wondering if this is normal. I’m 95% sure that this wasn’t happening before.

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There’s a latch on each side you need to manually latch down after you take it all the way back. do that and no bouncing for me at least.

it’s similar to the latch above the rear seats that you need to latch in order to get the top all the way back on.

edit: I’ve never used the straps either, but those make sense to use if you only put the top part way back with the windows in place (I just take the extra 2 minutes to remove the windows and put the top all the way back bc I think that part way configuration looks really goofy)

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Race Red Badlands

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
There’s a latch on each side you need to manually latch down after you take it all the way back. do that and no bouncing for me at least.

it’s similar to the latch above the rear seats that you need to latch in order to get the top all the way back on.

edit: I’ve never used the straps either, but those make sense to use if you only put the top part way back with the windows in place (I just take the extra 2 minutes to remove the windows and put the top all the way back bc I think that part way configuration looks really goofy)
But it’s just the bottom part that latches, right? When latched, are you still able to lift the top like I am in this picture? Or is that supposed to be locked in place?

14DF8002-695C-41FB-A4A1-3142C685D7FC.jpeg

Slacker93

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The top part should lock/latch as well. I have to take the extra min to slightly slam the top part so it gets latched.

OP
OP

Race Red Badlands

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
The top part should lock/latch as well. I have to take the extra min to slightly slam the top part so it gets latched.
Thank you, I thought the top part was latching before. Glad I’m not going crazy. Any chance you can show me a picture of where/how the top latches? No matter how hard I push down on it, the top part isn’t latching anymore.

omg_bbq

Black Diamond
First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thank you, I thought the top part was latching before. Glad I’m not going crazy. Any chance you can show me a picture of where/how the top latches? No matter how hard I push down on it, the top part isn’t latching anymore.
Did you ever resolve this? My '22 BD Sas doesn't latch exactly like you're describing

OP
OP

Race Red Badlands

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you ever resolve this? My '22 BD Sas doesn't latch exactly like you're describing
No, I haven’t been able to get the top part to latch the way Slacker93 described.

Fortunately the bouncing hasn’t been too bad. Its noticeable driving at slower speeds, especially over speed bumps in my neighborhood. But at faster speeds I barely notice it move at all.

Sponsored

omg_bbq

Black Diamond
First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No, I haven’t been able to get the top part to latch the way Slacker93 described.

Fortunately the bouncing hasn’t been too bad. Its noticeable driving at slower speeds, especially over speed bumps in my neighborhood. But at faster speeds I barely notice it move at all.
Definitely agree with folks that it should fully lock down. I know some people on here needed the top adjusted by their dealers. Maybe that’s our course of action too

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine does the same so I’m interested in some helpful replies. I only found this issue out when I brought the top down for the first time a couple of days ago. It’s been a cold start to the summer up here in Calgary!

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This ^^

MikeyFrog

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Don't think the first part latches, just the second part, which is why Velcro straps are included. Don't think there's any harm unless you end up in a weird wind situation?

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Don't think the first part latches, just the second part, which is why Velcro straps are included. Don't think there's any harm unless you end up in a weird wind situation?
Mine definitely lock
Sponsored