First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai tucson
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
EVEN if it was 3.7 gears it would be fine, i've been running my FJ Cruiser on 35s for 6 years on 3.73 gears, yeah it's not the best mpg wise, but does fine in trail. No need to panic...
What this video....
He exain why.....

Might not be a big issue in short term
Depend also what king of trail you do...
Also if you have a manuel you have more control of yohr shifting rpm....but regarless in long run it bad for your mechanic with bigger tire and not regearing.... last thing yiu want in couple year is premature mechanicd failure in the middle of no where
You will fine out the petty saving of the have proper gear ......

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Any gear ratio advice for someone looking to put 20inch wheels on the Bronco
Wheel diameter doesn't make a difference, only tire diameter.

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

People over think this.

The amount of transmission gearing in these new trucks more than makes up for a slightly larger tire.

I had 37s on my super duty for a while and only had 3.55 gears. It had a 10 speed, which more than made up for it.

OP
OP

Mdeamon

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai tucson
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
People over think this.

The amount of transmission gearing in these new trucks more than makes up for a slightly larger tire.

I had 37s on my super duty for a while and only had 3.55 gears. It had a 10 speed, which more than made up for it.
If you only mallcrawling and your mechanic fail prematurly because you don't have proper gear to match your tire weaker Axle improper rpm shifting with auto, more stress on the torque converter, etc......

At the mall the towing will only cost you maybe 150$.....

If the mechanic fail in trail like moab it could cost you upward of 2k to recover your bronco and that don't include the repair......

In long term it better to get proper gear ratio with your tire.

For 5k it look pretty cheap to have 35 tire better suspension better axle and less wear and tear on all the releated c
Mechanic componen and probaly avoid very costly recovery in the trail..... and repair
😎🤔🤯

Just watch the video ......

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you only mallcrawling and your mechanic fail prematurly because you don't have proper gear to match your tire weaker Axle improper rpm shifting with auto, more stress on the torque converter, etc......

At the mall the towing will only cost you maybe 150$.....

If the mechanic fail in trail like moab it could cost you upward of 2k to recover your bronco and that don't include the repair......

In long term it better to get proper gear ratio with your tire.

For 5k it look pretty cheap to have 35 tire better suspension better axle and less wear and tear on all the releated c
Mechanic componen and probaly avoid very costly recovery in the trail..... and repair
😎🤔🤯

Just watch the video ......

Absolutely. There are always exceptions. I was simply stating that if you have 33s on your truck and put 35s on it, its not a huge deal.

There is no proper gear ratio for a given tire. It's all what you desire as the final drive ratio and all of that is impacted by the transmission and differential gearing. I will give you that the fact when you upgrade to a big heavy, tire you will wear out parts more quickly. A "wrong" ratio will just make your engine spin faster/slower depending on which way you go with your tire size. The crawl ratio on a badlands manual transmission is so low that a slightly larger tire is going to make no difference. Sure, if you have 3.15 gears and put 40s on your truck over the stock 31s, you are going to probably have a bad experience. If you are going to put 37s on a bronco, you are going to be breaking other things before the gear ratio is going to hurt anything (CV angles, tie rod ends, ball joint issues). A 35, over a 33, on a stock bronco with stock gears is going to have less issues when hard wheeling than one of these 3 inch non diff drop lift kits I am seeing out there with 37s on them. Proper suspension geometry is far more important than a slightly not ideal gear ratio.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mdeamon

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai tucson
Your Bronco Model