Sponsored

Don't underestimate the 27mm rear strut bottom nut...

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It was no problem for an old man and a 3 foot breaker bar. It's farmer tight.
Sponsored

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why the fuck would that be torqued to 350ft/lbs??
Jeezus...
Likely to get clamping force. The larger the thread, the higher the torque needed to attain the same force. FWIW, I retorqued mine to 250 ft-lb. Hasn't moved in a few weeks. Thought about borrowing a wrench from work as we have a few that go over 1000 but then I'd need to find a 3/4" drive socket...

350 pound feet of torque. FWIW, Jesus nut, that holds the rotor blades on a Cobra or Huey helicopter is 710 pound feet.
Ahhh, the "Jesus Nut".
3 or 4 mechanical locks on that nut, but if it comes off...you're going to go meet Jesus.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Looking to get the M18 myself..waiting for a black friday sale :)

What gets me is the 3/8 drive cost more than the 1/2 but I want the 3/8.

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I planned ahead, the rear was the easy part of the project.

Ford Bronco Don't underestimate the 27mm rear strut bottom nut... 34633441-8DFC-425D-A19C-74A22F59D589

El Diablo

Badlands
First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tesla Model 3 and 2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Glad I read through this thread before installing my DV8 rear shock skids. One of the reviews suggested lifting the body with a jack to release some tension from the shock to the bottom mount. Not sure if this holds any merit. Regardless I will be prepared with a breaker bar and a good impact driver. Torquing it back to 325-350 ft-lb is another story.

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Glad I read through this thread before installing my DV8 rear shock skids. One of the reviews suggested lifting the body with a jack to release some tension from the shock to the bottom mount. Not sure if this holds any merit. Regardless I will be prepared with a breaker bar and a good impact driver. Torquing it back to 325-350 ft-lb is another story.
Triple tap the impact!

Last edited:

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Gotta ask, are y'all trying to remove the bolt from the head end or simply removing the nut first. If the bolt is in contact with compressed rubber shock mount you would have trouble even with the nut removed. Orif through a metal bushing that can also cause problems. Or is the nut staked to a slot in the bolt as are axle shafts?

I don't plan on removing that particular bolt myself but have in the past on the LR3 I had and in fact jacking up vehicle and relieving pressure on the bolt always helped.

I have never completely broken a 3/4" breaker bar with a 4' pipe but 1/2" with 3 all the time.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Gotta ask, are y'all trying to remove the bolt from the head end or simply removing the nut first. If the bolt is in contact with compressed rubber shock mount you would have trouble even with the nut removed. Orif through a metal bushing that can also cause problems. Or is the nut staked to a slot in the bolt as are axle shafts?

I don't plan on removing that particular bolt myself but have in the past on the LR3 I had and in fact jacking up vehicle and relieving pressure on the bolt always helped.

I have never completely broken a 3/4" breaker bar with a 4' pipe but 1/2" with 3 all the time.
Nut is staked. I used a 3/4 breaker with a 1 1/16 socket and 4 foot cheater with the weight off of it. Told my son to use the same amount of oomph to retorque

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Pretty sure mine came from Ice Mountain (has salt/grit on the underside), 4ft cheater pipe had no effect. I am a pretty big guy too... Currently soaking with PB Blaster.

Only takes a couple of double taps with an impact to go fully overboard.
AeroKroil ftw

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had to loosen mine for the same reason. I used a 1/2" ratchet with a 3ft cheater and it worked well. Used the cheater to reinstall too, close enough to torqued for me.
Sponsored