First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Ford Bronco (project)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've had my doors off one time since I took delivery in January 2022. As exhilarating as the weekend was, I now notice my doors will occasionally make the "warning pop" sound ever since I've put them back on (correctly). I'll grab the tool kit and sure enough, one or both bolts will be barely finger tight, even after making sure they were tight previously. It's all doors, not just one, and it's happened 3 times since I had them off. I guess the next step will be loctite.

I'm guessing that's the purpose of the engineered "warning pop" sounds. You'd never know until the door fell off. Maybe this issue was to be expected?

I'm interested if anyone who has not yet or doesn't plan to remove their doors comes across this issue after some use.

Apologies if this is a repeat topic, I tried searching the threads before posting this.
Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am guessing your definition of tight isn't tight enough when reinstalling the door bolts. I have taken my doors off a few times and only had the loose bolt problem the first time I reinstalled them. I then realized they need to be torqued a bit more. Maybe put a bit more oomphf behind your wrench turning next time.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had my doors off one time since I took delivery in January 2022. As exhilarating as the weekend was, I now notice my doors will occasionally make the "warning pop" sound ever since I've put them back on (correctly). I'll grab the tool kit and sure enough, one or both bolts will be barely finger tight, even after making sure they were tight previously. It's all doors, not just one, and it's happened 3 times since I had them off. I guess the next step will be loctite.

I'm guessing that's the purpose of the engineered "warning pop" sounds. You'd never know until the door fell off. Maybe this issue was to be expected?

I'm interested if anyone who has not yet or doesn't plan to remove their doors comes across this issue after some use.

Apologies if this is a repeat topic, I tried searching the threads before posting this.
Use a blue (medium-strength) thread locker like Loctite on the bolts, which can be removed with normal hand tools like the ratchet and socket provided in the Bronco toolkit.

Blue thread locker is very commonly used on vehicles like off-road SUVs and off-road motorcycles which vibrate a lot, and the fasteners can be re-used and additional threadlocker can be reapplied as needed anytime in the future. (Don’t use a red, high-strength threadlocker, which requires heat for removal.)

I carry a small plastic bottle of blue threadlocker in the tank bag on my motorcycle just to deal with loose fasteners like these.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mbryant1985

mbryant1985

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Use a blue (medium-strength) thread locker like Loctite on the bolts, which can be removed with normal hand tools like the ratchet and socket provided in the Bronco toolkit.

Blue thread locker is very commonly used on vehicles like off-road SUVs and off-road motorcycles which vibrate a lot, and the fasteners can be re-used and additional threadlocker can be reapplied as needed anytime in the future. (Don’t use a red, high-strength threadlocker, which requires heat for removal.)

I carry a small plastic bottle of blue threadlocker in the tank bag on my motorcycle just to deal with loose fasteners like these.
Agreed. Great minds think alike.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mbryant1985

mbryant1985

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am guessing your definition of tight isn't tight enough when reinstalling the door bolts. I have taken my doors off a few times and only had the loose bolt problem the first time I reinstalled them. I then realized they need to be torqued a bit more. Maybe put a bit more oomphf behind your wrench turning next time.
Break it loose or break it off...I like it.

OP
OP
mbryant1985

mbryant1985

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Alright buddy...a bit more oomphf has just been applied. We'll see what happens in the near future and check back.

Appreciate the help.

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I would not use loctite. You'll be ratcheting forever like 5 degrees at a time until you clean all the loctite out. You probably won't be able to get the alignment pin in/out by hand either.

Just tighten it harder. I found that rocking the door a little when tightening near the end helps get it seated easier. Once you get it seated then give it a little muscle.
Sponsored