First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So after a couple of weeks of driving, I noticed that the top bolts tend to shake themselves loose. Passenger door started making the clicking noise last week and found the top bolt pretty loose so tightened it up (bottom bolt was fine). This week the driver door started clicking and was once again a loose top bolt with the bottom one being fine.

This is my first "doors optional" vehicle so wasn't sure if this was a common issue or not. I guess it shouldn't be surprising since the bolt goes in upside down and gravity is a thing.
Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you taken the doors off yet? The first time I took of my doors and put them back on again I snugged the bolts and did not tighten them. After a few days, the drivers side came loose and made a popping noise when opening and closing. I went back and tightened all the door bolts and have not had any problems since (going on several weeks now).

RednWhite89

Badlands
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious if there is a torque spec for the door bolts. Anyone know?

OP
OP
Colt Bronco

Colt Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I picked it up from the dealer with the doors off, but I put them back on and tightened the bolts down. This is the first time I've retightened them so will wait and see if they walk on me again.

bbarnshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 1500 Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just had a bolt loosen and fall off while driving. Heard it hit off the running board. Thought it was loose change until I opened the rear door and it made the clicking noise. Noticed the top bolt had fallen out. Front doors haven't been on in a few weeks so I took one of those bolts and used it on the back door but now need to go find a new flange bolt at Home Depot.

Sponsored

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone find a fix for this?

jmadsen

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F350, 2017 Explorer, 1945 Ford GPW, 53 C6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Locktite, threadlocker? any reason not to use it?
I imagine you would never need to remove the bolts? or are we talking about the bolt that is used to remove the door from hinge or the bolt from hinge to body? I dont have my bronco yet so don't know exactly how this works.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Orange threadlock for removable bolts.??
Made to keep bolts from backing off but not a true thread lock lock.

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Concerning that they're loosening, but credit to Ford for engineering the early warning click that it's loose, or you didn't tighten it enough in the first place.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Colt Bronco

Colt Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since I really cranked them down they haven't re-loosened so there must be some minimum torque spec. We will see how they hold up now that colder weather is here.

EDIT: just saw the above post on the spec.

alexryer

Black Diamond
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond 4-Dr Soft Manual
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So after a couple of weeks of driving, I noticed that the top bolts tend to shake themselves loose. Passenger door started making the clicking noise last week and found the top bolt pretty loose so tightened it up (bottom bolt was fine). This week the driver door started clicking and was once again a loose top bolt with the bottom one being fine.

This is my first "doors optional" vehicle so wasn't sure if this was a common issue or not. I guess it shouldn't be surprising since the bolt goes in upside down and gravity is a thing.
The first time I put the doors back on, I tightened the bolts and there was no clicking. Then a week later I noticed the click click, so checked the bolts and they were loose by a half a turn or so.

I've been driving a lot with the doors off and a day after putting them back on, and I swear I tightened them down, my daughter opened the rear door and the bolt that mounts upside down actually fell out. I think it is the top long one. Note that the rear door did not click click even with the bolt missing.

It wasn't that long before the bolts loosened up to the point of falling out. I was going to put some blue loctite just because that's what I have. If I remember that is a medium thread lock.

It is a real head scratcher why that bolt screws in from underneath...

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The first time I put the doors back on, I tightened the bolts and there was no clicking. Then a week later I noticed the click click, so checked the bolts and they were loose by a half a turn or so.

I've been driving a lot with the doors off and a day after putting them back on, and I swear I tightened them down, my daughter opened the rear door and the bolt that mounts upside down actually fell out. I think it is the top long one. Note that the rear door did not click click even with the bolt missing.

It wasn't that long before the bolts loosened up to the point of falling out. I was going to put some blue loctite just because that's what I have. If I remember that is a medium thread lock.

It is a real head scratcher why that bolt screws in from underneath...
I wouldn't locktite it if I were you. Just bear down on the bolts, especially the top one. I've had the doors off and on numerous times, and the first time or two the bolts walked out a bit. But if you tighten them--I mean really tighten them---they don't back out.

alexryer

Black Diamond
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond 4-Dr Soft Manual
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

thanks - good advice!

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

All mine got loose today! Lol. Seriously tho my drivers lower one loosens up. It’s a slight pain but actually torquing them to spec is my next try. Seems ford could have made the ratchet they give you click like a torque wrench when the door bolts were tight enough.
Ford Bronco Door bolts loosening B425B399-7616-4E80-B4A3-3EB2333E3B7C
Sponsored