First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Now that quite a few people are receiving their Broncos, is anyone noticing dents on their doors from hyper extension under normal use?

This picture is from an old thread, and it’s a preproduction model, but this looks like the door dented where the hinges are located on the other side.

I’ve also noticed similar dents/creases on the rapid red bronco that Town and Country TV featured in their YouTube video where they were fitting the different tire sizes on badlands suspension.

Just thought I’d ask, as it’s something that would really bother me once I take delivery if this happens easily. Hopefully this door in the picture just caught a really bad wind gust, or was simply a preproduction issue.
Ford Bronco Door Hinge Dents? 5D9D9180-C43C-4A59-B3AD-56E2A0569B9A
Sponsored

Stache12

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Base
The door removal tutorials I've seen says to put in these rubber protectors on the edge of the door and door frame when removing. Maybe during all the demonstrations the pre production models have gone through they weren't used every time and caused the dent?

OP
OP
AMK610

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The door removal tutorials I've seen says to put in these rubber protectors on the edge of the door and door frame when removing. Maybe during all the demonstrations the pre production models have gone through they weren't used every time and caused the dent?
That’s a great point, thank you! That could definitely be the case, and maybe the door was bent as they were being taken off.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These preproduction models were also basically assembled totally by hand... so it's not out of the realm of possibility that these points were not reinforced enough and they are in the production version.

Or maybe this is a problem that will plague Broncos.

My point being; pre production units aren't a good indication of what production units are like. We need more data points before we should come to a conclusion.

OP
OP
AMK610

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
These preproduction models were also basically assembled totally by hand... so it's not out of the realm of possibility that these points were not reinforced enough and they are in the production version.

Or maybe this is a problem that will plague Broncos.

My point being; pre production units aren't a good indication of what production units are like. We need more data points before we should come to a conclusion.
Agreed, thanks. That’s why I’m hoping for some folks who have received their Broncos and have been using them under normal conditions for some time to comment, hopefully noting that they don’t have this issue

Sponsored
OP
OP
AMK610

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

i am sure most of these test mules were handled much rougher than what a real owner will do. so much of the damage could be attributed to over zealous testers, not someone who just ponied up 30-60k to buy their new ride. and if we see it happening on regular cars, there will be warranty and recall to address any defects. NO NEED TO PANIC...

Sponsored
OP
OP
AMK610

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
i am sure most of these test mules were handled much rougher than what a real owner will do. so much of the damage could be attributed to over zealous testers, not someone who just ponied up 30-60k to buy their new ride. and if we see it happening on regular cars, there will be warranty and recall to address any defects. NO NEED TO PANIC...
Not panicking, just curious if anyone’s experienced this issue. So far, no one has, which is great news.

Raptor.Tremor.Bronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak, 2014 Raptor, 2020 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
1st gen raptors/12th gen f150s have a similar issue where if the door gets opened a little too hard, the door hits the edge of the hinge causing little bends on the edge of the door. Hopefully that's not the case here

TRMFAM

First Edition
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 & 73 Bronco, 21 MDX A-Spec, 20 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Good question I had not seen this before and I don’t remember the runner protectors in the video. Maybe I need to get some of that memory boost made from jellyfish? I will go back and review the how to vids. Thanks for posting.
We have a good friend with a Jeep and in the process of taking off their doors they removed the limiting strap and gust of wind put nasty dent in the cowel from the mirror. They were so upset and the quote was $2k to fix!

Stache12

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good question I had not seen this before and I don’t remember the runner protectors in the video. Maybe I need to get some of that memory boost made from jellyfish? I will go back and review the how to vids. Thanks for posting.
We have a good friend with a Jeep and in the process of taking off their doors they removed the limiting strap and gust of wind put nasty dent in the cowel from the mirror. They were so upset and the quote was $2k to fix!
It may have only been in the official Ford video for the protectors, it should be on Ford's youtube channel

44 second mark, but it looks like it may be to protect the edge of the door and door frame more than anything.

Last edited:

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The vinyl door edge protectors won’t prevent that kind of sheet metal deformation. Those edge protectors are simply designed to protect the paint on potential contact points (leading edge of the door or the front fender panel) during door removal and installation.

IMO, the photo in the opening post appears to show bending of the door‘s external skin at the end of where the internal hinge block is attached, due most likely to unintentional over-extension caused by a strong gust of wind.
Sponsored