Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2012 Ford F150 FX2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I saw a post on here recently with a very similar idea for door storage, so I decided to give it a shot this weekend because I got tired of hefting my doors around the garage to get to my cabinets...

My garage doubles as my workshop and floor space is at a premium, so instead of making a large 4 door cart, I made 2 2-door carts, that way I can store them more easily when they're not in use. Plus I rarely take off the rear doors (small kids) so I figured this way I can keep one cart up on a storage rack until I need it. Total cost for 2 carts was about $180, including 2 furniture dollies I got at Harbor Freight. The cost of PVC is crazy right now, so fittings are expensive, but overall for my convenience and piece of mind, a very easy $180 to spend.

Anyway, for the important part...

Materials (per cart):
  • one furniture dolly ($17.99 from Harbor Freight)
  • (2) - 3/4" thick scrap wood to fill in sides of dolly, to prevent PVC from sagging
  • (3) - 10' lengths of PVC pipe, I used 1-1/2" ** if you're making 2 carts, 5 lengths will do!** ($30.36)
  • (2) - T-fitting ($8.34)
  • (10) - 90* elbow fittings ($28.50)
  • (4) - 2" pipe straps ($3.12)
  • PVC primer & glue ($10.57)
PVC Pipe Cut List:
  • (6) - 36" - for the vertical pieces
  • (3) - 14" - for the top horizontal pieces
  • (4) - 11" - for the base
I'm still thinking about adding pool noodles for extra insulation, despite having the door bags, but for now they're much more protected than they were leaning against one of my work benches.

Cart 1.jpg

Cart 2.jpg

Cart 3.jpg

Cart 4.jpg

Cart 5.jpg

Cart 6.jpg

Cart 7.jpg

Cart 8.jpg
Sponsored

FormerJeepJunkie

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So I did this for my jeep years ago and here are some upgrades that will help:
  1. cut some pool noodles to cover the pvc on the bottom and sides. This will prevent the door from resting on a hard surface. (Plus you don’t have to use the bag each time if you don’t want to)
  2. I’d also use a bungie cord around the entire thing once you have the doors in it. Sometimes the weight of the doors will crack your pvc if they are leaning against the unsupported sides (ends). Last thing you want is to have a nice domino chain of your doors

FormerJeepJunkie

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Oh, and you can get a cheap trolly from harbor freight (they are blue) that is completely flat. Half the price of the wood/carpet option and you can drill directly into the plastic or use zip ties. During the summer I take it apart and store it, so zipping it has been helpful.

ED0984B1-2569-4FF0-BE3D-5D14FF6462B6.jpeg

75956784-EA1F-4F28-A666-7813217FCF96.jpeg

OP
OP
ShopGirl24

ShopGirl24

Badlands
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I did this for my jeep years ago and here are some upgrades that will help:
  1. cut some pool noodles to cover the pvc on the bottom and sides. This will prevent the door from resting on a hard surface. (Plus you don’t have to use the bag each time if you don’t want to)
  2. I’d also use a bungie cord around the entire thing once you have the doors in it. Sometimes the weight of the doors will crack your pvc if they are leaning against the unsupported sides (ends). Last thing you want is to have a nice domino chain of your doors
Yes, thank you!! do you believe I couldn't find pool noodles in a store near me in Tampa?? They're on my list tho for sure. And I considered putting a board across the top, attached with the pipe straps again to sure up the ends, and allow storage, but it'll make it harder to store them when not in use, so I love your bungee cord idea! Thanks!

Sponsored

madbaird

Wildtrak
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nice job @ShopGirl24! Will be adding the pool noodles too. Lots of places around us! I am in the Land O Lakes area.

B_Dmatt

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nice work man, love to see DIY projects like this. Like Jeep Junkie suggested, I would recommend pool noodles or some foam for padded protection.

OP
OP
ShopGirl24

ShopGirl24

Badlands
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh, and you can get a cheap trolly from harbor freight (they are blue) that is completely flat. Half the price of the wood/carpet option and you can drill directly into the plastic or use zip ties. During the summer I take it apart and store it, so zipping it has been helpful.

ED0984B1-2569-4FF0-BE3D-5D14FF6462B6.jpeg

75956784-EA1F-4F28-A666-7813217FCF96.jpeg
Love it! I did not see that dolly at my HF, only the two wood/carpet ones and a "hardwood" one lol.
Nice work man, love to see DIY projects like this. Like Jeep Junkie suggested, I would recommend pool noodles or some foam for padded protection.
thanks! And yes finally found some pool noodles today (they were out of stock in 3 different stores I tried this weekend), they’ll be going on this week for sure.

Stomper

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Dont go with the really old pool noodles like i did because they start to shed everywhere.

Sponsored

luvtofish

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 King Ranch F150 Supercrew.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m going to make a couple of these. Thanks for sharing.

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I saw a post on here recently with a very similar idea for door storage, so I decided to give it a shot this weekend because I got tired of hefting my doors around the garage to get to my cabinets...

My garage doubles as my workshop and floor space is at a premium, so instead of making a large 4 door cart, I made 2 2-door carts, that way I can store them more easily when they're not in use. Plus I rarely take off the rear doors (small kids) so I figured this way I can keep one cart up on a storage rack until I need it. Total cost for 2 carts was about $180, including 2 furniture dollies I got at Harbor Freight. The cost of PVC is crazy right now, so fittings are expensive, but overall for my convenience and piece of mind, a very easy $180 to spend.

Anyway, for the important part...

Materials (per cart):
  • one furniture dolly ($17.99 from Harbor Freight)
  • (2) - 3/4" thick scrap wood to fill in sides of dolly, to prevent PVC from sagging
  • (3) - 10' lengths of PVC pipe, I used 1-1/2" ** if you're making 2 carts, 5 lengths will do!** ($30.36)
  • (2) - T-fitting ($8.34)
  • (10) - 90* elbow fittings ($28.50)
  • (4) - 2" pipe straps ($3.12)
  • PVC primer & glue ($10.57)
PVC Pipe Cut List:
  • (6) - 36" - for the vertical pieces
  • (3) - 14" - for the top horizontal pieces
  • (4) - 11" - for the base
I'm still thinking about adding pool noodles for extra insulation, despite having the door bags, but for now they're much more protected than they were leaning against one of my work benches.

Ford Bronco Door Storage Holder PVC Cart for Garage - DIY Instructions & Photos 75956784-EA1F-4F28-A666-7813217FCF96

Ford Bronco Door Storage Holder PVC Cart for Garage - DIY Instructions & Photos 75956784-EA1F-4F28-A666-7813217FCF96

Thanks for this just finished mine. I’d prefer to hang them on the wall but have zero space.
here’s the cut list for five 10 foot sticks: (2 carts worth)
3 sticks: 2@36”, 2@14”, [email protected]”
2 sticks: 3@36”, [email protected]”.
My dollys were $34 each, most expensive part. But I like the poly versions. Total less than $300, cheaper than a door ding.
And yes, the 10 footers fit in a 4 door.
Ford Bronco Door Storage Holder PVC Cart for Garage - DIY Instructions & Photos 747B3460-924E-4B2B-9D65-097E8EBA05D5

Wheelin72

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've seen pool noodles at the dollar store.. super cheap!

defiant2

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2-door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Based on the insight and input from this thread, I tried to tackle it, albeit with an added use. Thanks to those who did this and inspired me to attempt!

Seeing a lot of folks drop their doors on re-install (not too many on taking them off), I figured I could shrink the distance from door base to surface below by utilizing a version of this framework and an existing dolly/cart I had laying around. I have the door bags and would place the doors in the bag, before any removal/re-install to give extra protection as well.

I didn't realize how quickly the primer/glue set, so one of the elbows was cocked two degrees off, throwing the entire rack a bit wonky when the two half's are joined, but oh well. No extra parts or patience to rectify! (But it does place lateral pressure on the two horizontal pipes joining the two half's at least when assembled in full... I'll probably still take a ratchet strap around the entire base to hold together, just in case since I want to leave the modularity in place for loading/unloading.)

I left two joints unglued, so I could have a "storage" full (for when both doors are off and sitting in the garage) and a "removal/reinstall" half version (for active removal or reinstall.)

I plan on actually testing it out tomorrow as I ran out of time today, but here's what it looks like based on my crappy drawing and actuals:
Ford Bronco Door Storage Holder PVC Cart for Garage - DIY Instructions & Photos PVC frame to set on dolly cart w approx dimensions

Ford Bronco Door Storage Holder PVC Cart for Garage - DIY Instructions & Photos IMG_8268

Ford Bronco Door Storage Holder PVC Cart for Garage - DIY Instructions & Photos IMG_8267

MiamiDad

Badlands
First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco 2D Badlands MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Based on the insight and input from this thread, I tried to tackle it, albeit with an added use. Thanks to those who did this and inspired me to attempt!

Seeing a lot of folks drop their doors on re-install (not too many on taking them off), I figured I could shrink the distance from door base to surface below by utilizing a version of this framework and an existing dolly/cart I had laying around. I have the door bags and would place the doors in the bag, before any removal/re-install to give extra protection as well.

I didn't realize how quickly the primer/glue set, so one of the elbows was cocked two degrees off, throwing the entire rack a bit wonky when the two half's are joined, but oh well. No extra parts or patience to rectify! (But it does place lateral pressure on the two horizontal pipes joining the two half's at least when assembled in full... I'll probably still take a ratchet strap around the entire base to hold together, just in case since I want to leave the modularity in place for loading/unloading.)

I left two joints unglued, so I could have a "storage" full (for when both doors are off and sitting in the garage) and a "removal/reinstall" half version (for active removal or reinstall.)

I plan on actually testing it out tomorrow as I ran out of time today, but here's what it looks like based on my crappy drawing and actuals:
Ford Bronco Door Storage Holder PVC Cart for Garage - DIY Instructions & Photos IMG_8267

Looks good. Like the idea of keeping it a little higher.

Can anyone tell me the minimum width needed ( between the horizontals ), so that the door can slide in??
Sponsored