Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Long story short the factory fill on my rear differential was 10oz low. Not sure if it was an oversight on the line, QA/QC or dealer PDI. Maybe all three.

Long story long. A couple of us went out to Hackett Gulch (CO) last Sunday with a storm rolling in. It's a difficult trail on a good day and the snow wasn't helping. The lockers on my stock BL were getting a workout and 3/4 into the trail I received an alert to check my locking differential. (This was before getting to the river for anyone familiar). I gave the lockers a rest, the error went away after a few minutes and I completed the trail without issue. Love my Bronco.

As a follow up, today I checked my rear diff fluid. To be honest I was more concerned about the water crossing than the warning light but I'm glad I did. When I removed the fill plug I wasn't met with any dripping gear oil. I stuck my finger in and was eventually able to retrieve some oil. Not milky, so that was good, but definitely low.

Buying a quart of gear oil wasn't as easy as I expected. Bronco Nation provides two spec fluids and capacities for the differentials but they don't reference front or rear. 1) 80W-90 Premium REAR Axle Lubricant and 2) 75W-85 Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lube. Before consulting my owners manual I had assumed the rear axle lubricant went in the rear. Nope, I think it's counterintuitive and it's the hypoid that goes in the rear and the rear axle lube that goes up front. An unlucky draw at the dealership parts department didn't provide any answers(75W-140?!?) so I'm following the owners manual. Let me know if anyone knows better.

PXL_20220424_210810178.jpg

PXL_20220426_180024533.jpg
Sponsored

MUDLVR

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, thanks for letting us know this...I'm on my way to check mine now! I think you're right though - the 75W-85 would go in the rear.

Teke

Base
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
agreed. Ford does not have a drain plug on their diff cover so you have to completely remove the cover to drain it.

On my GEN1 and GEN2 Raptor I replaced the diff cover. Here's the cover on my GEN2

Ford Bronco Double check your rear diff factory fluid level. 1651084373621

I have never understood why this isn't standard. All of my Tacomas have had this ability. Makes maintenance so much easier.

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
every car forum someone always mentions this guy.

ran an afermarket diff cover on my GEN1 raptor for 40K and never had an issue. Sold my GEN1 to my brother-in- law and another 15K and still no issue.

Banks just wants to sell you his cover.

For all of you thinking of installing a different rear diff cover watch this first please.

Teke

Base
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For all of you thinking of installing a different rear diff cover watch this first please.

Basically all he is saying is that flat back covers aren't good. Really has nothing to do with aftermarket diff covers as he is promoting his own aftermarket diff cover.

OP
OP
4xFord

4xFord

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have never understood why this isn't standard. All of my Tacomas have had this ability. Makes maintenance so much easier.
I agree with you and I think the design is done intentionally to draw people into the service department.

BlueBoy

First Edition
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Bronco 351W
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Does Banks sell a diff cover for the Bronco?

Sponsored

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Saltlife4shore

Big Bend
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You can always use a fluid extractor / vacuum to get the gear oil out. You can get them as cheap as 20$ or all the way to like 300$.

DougP.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Basically all he is saying is that flat back covers aren't good. Really has nothing to do with aftermarket diff covers as he is promoting his own aftermarket diff cover.
the problem i have with the vid is that he put a piece of flat lexan on to the cover and didn't account for the internal ribs or, and i am just guessing here but from watching it, it also looks like he didn't account for the actual depth of the flatback cover with the ribs.
Sponsored