Sponsored

Downsizing from 35" stock sasquatch tires to 33'' later?

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I, too, have thought about this. I’m not worried about saving money on tires, but a decent ride quality without sacrificing much off road capability is the driving factor. Then, I just go back to the thought Ford has it mostly figured out, so maybe I shouldn’t mess about with it. I can only speculate.

If I do change the tire size, I’ll likely go to the 285/75R17. On average, only .5” smaller than the 315/70R17, but 10-12% lighter, and skinnier, which may help with MPG. Only problem here is that you’re limited to e load, which is fine for me, but may negate the benefits I was after.

here’s some links to (1) the 285/75R17 and (2) it’s 315/70R17 counterpart. Check the specs.

BFG All Terrain
285/75R17 E load

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO2&partnum=875SR7KO2
315/70R17 C load
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO2&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=17SR7KO2V2&tab=Sizes

Cooper Discoverer A/T3
285/75R17 E Load

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....SR7DAXLT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
315/75R17 E Load
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....White+Letters&partnum=17SR7DAXLTRWL&tab=Sizes

BFG Mud Terrain KM3
285/75R17 E Load

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Mud-Terrain+T/A+KM3&partnum=875QR7KM3&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
315/70R17 E Load
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Mud-Terrain+T/A+KM3&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=17QR7KM3&tab=Sizes

So what I will do? Probably just drive it and enjoy it as is.
https://tiresize.com/tires/Toyo/Open-Country-AT-III-285-75R17.htm

Check out load range SL also.
Specs are right in line or only very slightly heavier duty than C.
I'm still trying to work out the differences actually. They seem to be lighter in some cases.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

ryansbronco

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 f3506.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Couldn't find a thread on this and I can't be the only one thinking about future costs owning the bronco. I was wondering, 35's are going to look bad ass and all, but realistically replacing them with more 35's is gonna be a bit pricey and I'm wondering about when the time comes to get new tires, switching to maybe 33's. My question is would this affect anything at all on the bronco like rpms, etc? I figure 33's will be less expensive, a smoother ride, better mpg etc etc.
Well since the sas is gonna be geared with the 4.7 if you went auto, id say high rpms, less top end and not quite as fuel efficient

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Keyboard ninja? Putting "peace" at the end of an insult seems like a paradox to me.

cnr boring.jpg
Welcome to life. Im trying to help the OP by encouraging them to save money and not overbuy as they’re asking about what happens if they go backwards.
What is your intent? From my perspective I can’t say the same about your comments. Are you trying to help the OP, or just fuck with me out of boredom?

Time well tell.

PEACE

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can swap out tires easier than axles.
Which is exactly why even though I have concerns about whether or not it’ll fit in my garage with Sasquatch, I’m getting it. Figure worse comes to worse I’ll just swap out the tires.

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I believe I'll be going the opposite way when it comes time for new shoes. 37's are looking mighty fine. What's a few extra bucks when it comes to your Bronco. You know what they say " Go Big or Go Home"
Ford Bronco Downsizing from 35" stock sasquatch tires to 33'' later? 70EECE43-6153-4D70-BE7E-EC1290E87DE3
Ford Bronco Downsizing from 35" stock sasquatch tires to 33'' later? 2021 Bronco ProComp Rear Track Bar 4WP Shop 1

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have concerns about those things with my current truck of 8 years, and I still upgraded to bigger tires. It's perfectly NORMAL AND FINE to be concerned about costs and mpg. If you don't consider these things, you aren't a serious person.
I get a kick out of the people who say if you are concerned about MPG then you should get a Prius, not a Bronco. What a load of horse chit. You have to weigh everything into cost of ownership. Monthly note, insurance, fuel usage and maintenance costs. I'm pretty sure the Bronco will have decent MPG for its class. Should be around 20/24 with the 2.7 and only a little less with the 2.3. This is dependent on how heavy you are on the pedal obviously. I'm good with those numbers. Now if the Bronco was rated at say 12/14 it wouldn't even be on my radar.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now if the Bronco was rated at say 12/14 it wouldn't even be on my radar.
Oh , it'd still be on mine, but not for DD duties. LOL
Of course , we'd have to deal with 3506 new threads every week asking how to improve their Bronco's fuel mileage ..... and after the second week you'd be replying "If fuel mileage was a concern, you should've bought a Prius." LOL

Those posts are everywhere though, the Classic Bronco forums, the Super Duty forums.
"How can I lift my F350 Crew Cab gasser, run 37's and get better fuel mileage?"
Seriously? WTF? :rolleyes:

ResidualGenius

Wildtrak
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It will be interesting to see how it mounts. I can tell you my current rack on my Explorer is not something you would want to take on and off to get in your garage.
They have videos of its removal, very simple.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I get a kick out of the people who say if you are concerned about MPG then you should get a Prius, not a Bronco. What a load of horse chit. You have to weigh everything into cost of ownership. Monthly note, insurance, fuel usage and maintenance costs. I'm pretty sure the Bronco will have decent MPG for its class. Should be around 20/24 with the 2.7 and only a little less with the 2.3. This is dependent on how heavy you are on the pedal obviously. I'm good with those numbers. Now if the Bronco was rated at say 12/14 it wouldn't even be on my radar.
I am guessing it will be, at lowest, around the same as my F150. I usually get 17/20 depending on how fast I drive. It may be a little off because I have bigger tires and I have never recalibrated for that.

You know, even a Prius costs a lot to own. My former boss had one, and it was going to cost him $40k to get a computer fixed and it was out of warranty (just). I agree that all of the parts of ownership must be considered.

ScoutandBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 International Scout, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Counterpoint: The Base Sasquatch, especially with Manual, is a value and platform combination we probably won't see again. If there's even a chance you might want to use lockers down the line, the Base Squatch makes perfect sense. You'd be hard pressed to get that capability for near that cost down the road.
And for me I've been thinking of the SAS with the OBX and going back to 33's when replacement comes. Main reasons for me is I prefer the painted bits on the OBX (though I would lose the painted flares) and the interior of the OBX as well. Perfect world would have a baby between a OBX and a BL. Ideally, I would have the OBX with front and rear lockers and the Bilsteins with 33's. I will mostly be in sand and mud so the clearance is not as important as the lockers and shocks (and an inch higher ride height doesn't hurt). This is my main reason for still considering the SAS and the tire downsize in the future.

Also wondering if someone might want the takeoff 35's right out of the gate for their Badlands or someone going with aftermarket wheels and switch immediately. Those are my reasons for thinking SAS.
Sponsored