Sponsored

Dr. ColorChip paint chip repair kit! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

(Short Version: I HIGHLY RECOMMEND trying the Dr. ColorChip paint repair kit for your Bronco’s rock chip damage! I used today for the first time & am AMAZED with the results!)

Full version:

We all know how susceptible our Broncos are to paint damage from stone and rock chips. Especially when equipped with the factory “Goodyear rock-chucker” Sasquatch tires.

I’ve always been disappointed when trying to “touch up” paint chips using the traditional bottle of touch up method. A chip usually just becomes a “blob”. Neither looks good.

I remember being mortified at the sound of the first rock being hurled against my front door only a week after receiving my beautiful new Lightning Blue FE back in 2021. Since then I’ve acquired several more stone chips.

Despite adding mudflaps, full length side steps, AND changing the tires, I continue to notice additional chips accumulating on my daily driven Bronco.

Last weekend I finally ordered a paint repair kit that I’ve been eyeing from Dr. Colorchip. I chose the “Squirt & Squeegee Plus” kit and added a bottle of panel cleaner as well although they say you can just use rubbing alcohol to prep. There was a coupon or discount at the time and I ended up spending $75.74 including sales tax and shipping. It arrived yesterday and I found time today to try it out.

My initial reaction is OVERWHELMINGLY POSITIVE. “5 stars”. I’m not being paid or sponsored by the manufacturer in any way, I’m just very happy with the results. Best $75 bucks I’ve spent on my Bronco so far!

For me, flat panels produced the best results. (Although I may just need to improve my technique on curved surfaces)

Here are some photos of my results as a first timer.

Passenger front door chip close up.
Ford Bronco Dr. ColorChip paint chip repair kit!  HIGHLY RECOMMEND! IMG_4140

Passenger front door BEFORE:
Ford Bronco Dr. ColorChip paint chip repair kit!  HIGHLY RECOMMEND! IMG_4119

AFTER:
Ford Bronco Dr. ColorChip paint chip repair kit!  HIGHLY RECOMMEND! IMG_4130

The passenger front door chip was my first and therefore most painful. It is now basically INVISIBLE from 12” away (& from even closer from most angles).

Ford Bronco Dr. ColorChip paint chip repair kit!  HIGHLY RECOMMEND! IMG_4136

Ford Bronco Dr. ColorChip paint chip repair kit!  HIGHLY RECOMMEND! IMG_4137

Driver 2nd row door underside of door handle BEFORE:
Ford Bronco Dr. ColorChip paint chip repair kit!  HIGHLY RECOMMEND! IMG_4115

AFTER:
Ford Bronco Dr. ColorChip paint chip repair kit!  HIGHLY RECOMMEND! IMG_4127

Driver front door BEFORE:
Ford Bronco Dr. ColorChip paint chip repair kit!  HIGHLY RECOMMEND! IMG_4111

AFTER:
Ford Bronco Dr. ColorChip paint chip repair kit!  HIGHLY RECOMMEND! IMG_4126

3 chips at bottom of Left/Driver-side doors BEFORE:
Ford Bronco Dr. ColorChip paint chip repair kit!  HIGHLY RECOMMEND! IMG_4110

AFTER:
Ford Bronco Dr. ColorChip paint chip repair kit!  HIGHLY RECOMMEND! IMG_4124

Passenger side rear quarter panel BEFORE:
Ford Bronco Dr. ColorChip paint chip repair kit!  HIGHLY RECOMMEND! IMG_4118

AFTER:
Ford Bronco Dr. ColorChip paint chip repair kit!  HIGHLY RECOMMEND! image

The lower doors, and quarter panel were the most challenging because of the curvature of the panels.

For only $75 (their base kit is only $45) I am MORE than satisfied.

My tips/suggestions:

1) READ AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS! (& watch the YouTube videos. Although some people are still doing it wrong).

2) Don’t be afraid of the touch up paint. It wont hurt the surrounding areas. Use a good size drop of paint. Don’t just try to keep it inside the chip. Don’t be afraid of over applying, you actually want to overlap around the chip. You will smooth it down flat after it dries in the next step.

3) Use PATIENCE and NOT PRESSURE when using the “SEAL-ACT” product to remove the excess paint. I promise that even if you over do it and it looks bad (scary pic here)
Ford Bronco Dr. ColorChip paint chip repair kit!  HIGHLY RECOMMEND! IMG_4122
DON’T PANIC!, the excess WILL come off with patience and gentle low pressure motion. My kit came with a little green wedge block in addition to the larger green squeegee. I wrapped the white cloth around the green block and used it like a small sanding block so my fingers didn’t apply too much pressure and pull paint back out of the chip beneath the surrounding paint surface. I REPEAT, do not apply pressure, you aren’t trying to use abrasion to sand the excess paint away, let the “sealact” product do the work and it will eventually wash away the excess!

The best part is, if you aren’t completely satisfied with the result, you can always go back and re-apply and add more paint to continue filling the chip later!

Good luck & sorry for the lengthy post!

https://drcolorchip.com/
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jason

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands & 2023 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the write up. It’s a great product, and your post reminded me to order a kit.

In case it helps anyone ordering soon, I used coupon code C&D10 for 10% off.

EOSeabee

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for the tip! Going to order a kit right now.

3People1Body

Wildtrak
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, F150 and Taurus.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just ordered with the 10% code! $68.31 ... Thanks guys (ignore if that's not your pronoun)!

OP
OP
SuperFord

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

@Administrator or if anyone is interested in helping this along, I reached out to Dr. Colorchip to let them know how pleased I was with the results of their product.

I asked them if they might be interested in becoming a sponsoring vendor here and participate in the Bronco community since we have lots of potential paint repair customers.

Here was the response I received from Tony @ Dr. Colorchip:

Hello Chris!

WOW! What a well written and thorough review!

We are most grateful for your kind words and review. You did an excellent job with the application and process of our product, which easily explains how our product can work.

Yes sir, if you have a contact at the Bronco Forum we would be interested in helping your fellow owners, especially with the Goodyear tires!

We can create a code for your group and would be most grateful for the support!

Thanks again for the very nice review.

Sincerely,
Tony Pando
Dr. ColorChip Corporation
Global Business Development
Sponsored