Sponsored

Drag race between 2.3 vs 2.7 of same configuration.

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My son has a 2.3 Ranger FX4, I have a 2.7 F150. The F150 beats it in a drag race, the difference is not as much as I expected, about the same as between my 2.7 and the Coyote 5.0 F150, (which I have also owned and drag raced) similarly equipped and geared.
True but isn't the Ranger a few hundred pounds lighter (I am only assuming since its a mid size truck). Therefore if you and your son both had Broncos with the two different options I would hope the 2.7 would have a bit more on the 2.3 (weight being equal).

I did my own test drive a month or so ago with the exact same vehicles and engines at my dealership. Of course I drove each separately but just the "seat on the pants" feeling I had was the 2.7 was much quicker, including that important midrange. My biggest problem with them is I didn't know how to disable the auto start feature (and the sales guy told me I couldn't) so initial launches were disappointing.
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you want an off-roader take check Loren Healy's FB. In one of his posts he askes what everyone is getting 2.3 or 2.7 and in his comments he makes it quite clear he is all about the V-6. (tried to post the link but it seems to not work)

He has been driving the Fun-Haver Ranger 2.3 Auto.

Ford Bronco Drag race between 2.3 vs 2.7 of same configuration. 1610908829422

it is the post after this one that he comments about the V-6. This video has him beating the crap 'outta the new Bronc. Trail turn, almost airborne, etc.

This is the actual post but it seems not to transfer correct.

fb://photo/1550061481843632?set=a.242673669249093&sfnsn=mo

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hoofnmouth

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you want an off-roader take check Loren Healy's FB. In one of his posts he askes what everyone is getting 2.3 or 2.7 and in his comments he makes it quite clear he is all about the V-6. (tried to post the link but it seems to not work)

He has been driving the Fun-Haver Ranger 2.3 Auto.

Ford Bronco Drag race between 2.3 vs 2.7 of same configuration. 1610908829422
I remember one of the engineers was asked same question and was disinterested in talking about the 2.3.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

True but isn't the Ranger a few hundred pounds lighter (I am only assuming since its a mid size truck). Therefore if you and your son both had Broncos with the two different options I would hope the 2.7 would have a bit more on the 2.3 (weight being equal).

I did my own test drive a month or so ago with the exact same vehicles and engines at my dealership. Of course I drove each separately but just the "seat on the pants" feeling I had was the 2.7 was much quicker, including that important midrange. My biggest problem with them is I didn't know how to disable the auto start feature (and the sales guy told me I couldn't) so initial launches were disappointing.
Seat of the pants the 2.7 definitely feels stronger, particularly in the mid range. Same vehicle the difference would definitely be more. All sorts of variables, including final drive ratio with tires and gears factored in. I was most surprised at how little actual difference there was in actual straight line performance. Off road, both with stock tires, the difference was even smaller. Power wise on the trails there was no advantage to the 2.7 (other than really kick ass donuts the F150 does with the TC off). Bigger tires, heavier loads, more cargo the difference will be more noticeable. I am just trying to give people my perception of the two to help them decide. I keep going back and forth. BTW, this weekend on my semi regular cabin trip. Mixed 80mph freeway, 60 mph two lane and a little two track exploring, 22.6 mpg per the computer on 87 octane. Pretty awesome for a crew cab 4x4 with over 300HP! Stop start has a button on both the F150 and Ranger btw, easy to defeat, though not necessarily obvious on a test drive I am sure.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

To me it's not about the speed, it's about the long-term durability. And I believe the V6 will probably be better than the four.

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Engines are like tires, the bigger they are the smaller your..

just kidding kinda
Unless your a car enthusiast. I can see that with some guy that just goes out to buy something to impress his friends but has no idea the pros, cons or takes advantages of those extra large tires and horsepower :)

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seat of the pants the 2.7 definitely feels stronger, particularly in the mid range. Same vehicle the difference would definitely be more. All sorts of variables, including final drive ratio with tires and gears factored in. I was most surprised at how little actual difference there was in actual straight line performance. Off road, both with stock tires, the difference was even smaller. Power wise on the trails there was no advantage to the 2.7 (other than really kick ass donuts the F150 does with the TC off). Bigger tires, heavier loads, more cargo the difference will be more noticeable. I am just trying to give people my perception of the two to help them decide. I keep going back and forth. BTW, this weekend on my semi regular cabin trip. Mixed 80mph freeway, 60 mph two lane and a little two track exploring, 22.6 mpg per the computer on 87 octane. Pretty awesome for a crew cab 4x4 with over 300HP! Stop start has a button on both the F150 and Ranger btw, easy to defeat, though not necessarily obvious on a test drive I am sure.
Good stuff. I have to say, you have been doing about as good a comparison as we can right now until the Bronco comes out. Good to know about the off road comparison.

Haystack

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Base
Unless your a car enthusiast. I can see that with some guy that just goes out to buy something to impress his friends but has no idea the pros, cons or takes advantages of those extra large tires and horsepower :)
Agreed. I don't actually think that way, just poking fun at the old saying ;)

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only drag race that interest me would be seeing if the 2.3 can keep up with the 2.7 after the warranty period expires .
Well said. I honestly think I'd only really need the 2.3, but once I pack gear for a road trip, I just don't see that i4 being trouble free for 8-10 years under load.

Magoo

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
At 1:06 in that video, looks like the rock rail is either really scratched or split?

PhoenixM3

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2018 Fiesta ST, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I second this idea!
Agree that it’s a simple motor and probably more reliable, but boost is what I need at 7500’ elevation.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I want the extra torque. When I loaded up the family and all our gear in my 4Runner it was a dog. Especially heading up the hill to Tahoe. I would have to floor it to maintain speeds on the steep hills. V6 it is for me.

bpurtz

First Edition
First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Rubi, Sierra Denali, Taco TRD Pro, 4Run LTD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
At 1:06 in that video, looks like the rock rail is either really scratched or split?
Yeah - door has a pretty good rash above the rail too.
Sponsored