Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
10 seconds? That's fing depressing.
Heck the Bronco Sport and the Explorer (grocery getter) both run in the high 5's.
The Tahoe runs in the 6's and weighs more than the Bronco.
10 seconds is unacceptable. Where is all that HP and torque going?
Something doesn't add up here.

foremi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, T1 V10, T7, YXZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
10 seconds? That's fing depressing.
Heck the Bronco Sport and the Explorer (grocery getter) both run in the high 5's.
The Tahoe runs in the 6's and weighs more than the Bronco.
10 seconds is unacceptable. Where is all that HP and torque going?
Something doesn't add up here.
Sure, it doesn't add up if you intentionally ignore all of the factors that matter.

Where is all that HP and torque going?
35in tires
315 wide tires
4.70 diffs
4.71 first gear
Aero of a brick.....

Sponsored

DesertEagle1776

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old-Timey Bicycle
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
🙋‍♂️ You found him. And how has your summer of off-roading been in your new Bronco ;)

In all seriousness folks we’ve tried different modes, different 4x4 settings, traction settings and look: it’s a 5,000 lb + vehicle on 35’s with 330 HP. No driver mod or mode or 4x4 setting is really going to have that big of a difference. It’s not exactly fighting for traction in a straight line in 2wd with tires wider than nebraska, at least not at our elevation.

Stay tuned for the off-road vid, that’ll be one to watch tomorrow. I wasn’t for the drag race but we’ve received an ungodly number of requests so there ya have it. -Tommy (skinny Waldo dude)
Way to take it in stride. Forums can be rough and most of us are just sitting in the background watching the arguments unfold. :LOL: I like your vids even if I'm given information I don't like. :ROFLMAO: Plus, it's not like other people won't test out these Broncos in different situations, so we'll get a general idea over time how elevation and model specs play a role. Looking forward to your off-roading vid!

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Haven’t driven a Bronco but I’m getting a 2 door and will also assume the C&D tests are more accurate…6-7 second 0-60 and quarter mile around 15 seconds. Perfect for this kind of vehicle. With a tune it will rip for what it is.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Obviously I'm an idiot, but i was betting on the bronco being great off the line due to gearing, etc. and then running out of steam on the top end. Looks like it's the exact opposite. Trying to line up a demo test drive now.
Heavy vehicle + large tires = challenging to get moving. Objects at rest tend to stay at rest...

Add in that the engine doesn't put out its maximum power until the turbos are spooling, coupled with the speculated torque management in low gears, and you get a start that isn't great.

The fact that it has real go above 40 shows that the engine isn't the issue...

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

To all of the Ford owners-

Could it be detuned because of their transmission choice (which some believe is inferior)?
I'm 100% sure the factory calibration limits torque to limit wear on the transmission and related drivetrain parts.

Not apple to apples, but the 10 speed in the Super Duty's can be tuned to unlock 200+ (yes 200) additional ft-lbs of torque just by raising torque limiters. In factory trim, the PCM can calculate the input shaft torque and defuel the engine as necessary to stay within the limits. I have never tuned just the transmission on an F-150, but trans tuning can make or break how the trucks accelerates regardless of what the HP/TQ numbers are.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Heavy vehicle + large tires = challenging to get moving. Objects at rest tend to stay at rest...

Add in that the engine doesn't put out its maximum power until the turbos are spooling, coupled with the speculated torque management in low gears, and you get a start that isn't great.

The fact that it has real go above 40 shows that the engine isn't the issue...
My problem is the fact that i don't need the real go over 40. I'll take decent go over 40 at most. I'll reserve judgment until i drive it myself.

Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Irrelevant to the Bronco purpose. Some more suggested tests outside of what the vehicle is made for:

1. Miata vs Civic in off road rock crawling competition
2. Best two seater for large family trips
3. Drag racing Corvette vs Mustang, in reverse gears
That really makes no sense; you will never take a miata or civic rock crawling; you will never take a 2 seater on large family trips; you will never drag race in reverse....but you WILL drive the Bronco 0-60 every single day you take it on the road. Every day. That's why people look at it...it's a daily task, and people want to see how it compares to it's off road peers in performing a task that is as common as it gets for the vehicle, even if not the reason it was built, or the reason to buy it. People want to know whether it is competent in a routine task.

foremi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, T1 V10, T7, YXZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm 100% sure the factory calibration limits torque to limit wear on the transmission and related drivetrain parts.

Not apple to apples, but the 10 speed in the Super Duty's can be tuned to unlock 200+ (yes 200) additional ft-lbs of torque just by raising torque limiters. In factory trim, the PCM can calculate the input shaft torque and defuel the engine as necessary to stay within the limits. I have never tuned just the transmission on an F-150, but trans tuning can make or break how the trucks accelerates regardless of what the HP/TQ numbers are.
My guess is its more related to axles and cv's in the bronco than it is the trans itself. With 4.70 diffs you are talking about almost 10k ft-lbs applied to the axles in 1st gear. That's not even low range.

BFizzy

Big Bend
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
2021 Ford F-150 Sport 4x4 EcoBoost SpecificationsBASE PRICE$45,500PRICE AS TESTED$59,655VEHICLE LAYOUTFront-engine, 4WD, 5-pass, 4-door truckENGINE2.7L/325-hp/400-lb-ft twin-turbo DOHC 24-valve V-6TRANSMISSION10-speed automaticCURB WEIGHT (F/R DIST)5,270 lb (58/42%)WHEELBASE145.4 inLENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT231.7 x 79.9 x 77.2 in0-60 MPH6.1 secQUARTER MILE14.7 sec @ 94.7 mphBRAKING, 60-0 MPH122 ftLATERAL ACCELERATION0.79 g (avg)MT FIGURE EIGHT27.9 sec @ 0.61 g (avg)EPA CITY/HWY/COMB FUEL ECON19/24/21 mpgENERGY CONS, CITY/HWY177/140 kWh/100 milesCO2 EMISSIONS, COMB0.93 lb/mile
I don’t know why you’re still trying to compare a specific f-150 that was tracked who knows where to a FE bronco in a different location with a different driver and who knows all the other variables.

bigtexyahoocom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 S2000
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This video is trash…. They drag race while the bronco is in 2 high with traction control on… it’s for the views and to make FCA happy. Like I said trash.
Not every negative thing that ever happens is someone shilling for a competitor. Be realistic about the product. It’s going to have some flaws. The Bronco just is. Not. Fast. It was never going to be. People got high on their own farts over the HP and TQ numbers and forgot to check the weight, aero, tire size, transmission limitations, and other factors. The “launch” they did is far more indicative of everyday use than the launch you apparently wanted, which was TC off and all conditions optimal. It just isn’t going to be quick for everyday use. It’s fine.
Sponsored