First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Maybe you should advise Motor Trend how to test their vehicles? All I was trying to point out here that a very similar truck that weighed the same, with the same motor and transmission, that has similar brick shape, trumps this Bronco. Why? I guess time will tell, not you or me...
Motor Trend didn’t compare these two vehicles. You did.
Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Was the Bronco in sport mode? Not sure if FE’s have that or not. On boosted vehicles especially the modes can change the way and time in which power is delivered. Specifically, it may ramp up boost earlier in the rev range, or just deliver the full amount of boost period. Not sure on the Bronco but in “normal mode” some forced induction platforms won’t even deliver full boost at all.

Edit: to clarify where I’m coming from, I’m not in denial about the purpose of this vehicle, but the numbers don’t square. At altitude I would expect the Jeep with electric assist to win, but not by that much. 410 pound feet of tq is a lot for any vehicle. Shouldn’t feel as slow as some reviewers/forum members that have gone on test drives have mentioned. On the other hand, the CA owner who took delivery of a black badlands the other day said the Bronco feels as quick as his SQ5. That’s a completely different reaction than “can’t get out of its own way”. SQ5’s are quick vehicles.

Ideal situation is to put several on a dyno to see if they’re way off claimed HP/TQ. Other solution is Dragy times but I doubt many in the group have Dragy.
FEs do not have sport mode. TFL said on this thread that they tried different modes, which I assume included Baja and would likely have similar turbo performance as Sport.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They are not the same. Nothing about them except the engine (which are tuned differently) is the same.
Your totally right. Nothing is the same here. OMG...

ColonelAngus

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 07 BMW 335i, 05 Saab 9-5 Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Car & Driver has the first edition doing 60 in 7.... still kinda underwhelming, but I am def. not switching to a Mansquatch at this point if thats any indication... i'll have to be sad with an auto v6 and slap a big ol tune on it.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Too many people here think the driver will make a difference on an automatic car that can't even seem to spin the tires.

Sponsored

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Andre mentioned dirt and the end of the video, got me to thinking...Why don't they find a dirt track with some rocks and whoops and race them? Test them doing what they will used for.

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks but no thanks! This is a pointless video and I'm not pressing play. If I wanted to drag race I would order the new GT500....
Yeah but if you did that, think about all the MIC top discussions you couldn't have!!

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

So I should just keep my wife's FJ and buy a Mustang??? At least one of them has a white top :(.

Sponsored

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

🙋‍♂️ You found him. And how has your summer of off-roading been in your new Bronco ;)

In all seriousness folks we’ve tried different modes, different 4x4 settings, traction settings and look: it’s a 5,000 lb + vehicle on 35’s with 330 HP. No driver mod or mode or 4x4 setting is really going to have that big of a difference. It’s not exactly fighting for traction in a straight line in 2wd with tires wider than nebraska, at least not at our elevation.

Stay tuned for the off-road vid, that’ll be one to watch tomorrow. I wasn’t for the drag race but we’ve received an ungodly number of requests so there ya have it. -Tommy (skinny Waldo dude)
"you found him" that made me laugh

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I thought the turbos made up for the altitude issue? Don't they adjust automatically based on whatever the local atmospheric pressure is?
No, they reduce the loss but there is still a loss in power.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That really makes no sense; you will never take a miata or civic rock crawling; you will never take a 2 seater on large family trips; you will never drag race in reverse....but you WILL drive the Bronco 0-60 every single day you take it on the road. Every day. That's why people look at it...it's a daily task, and people want to see how it compares to it's off road peers in performing a task that is as common as it gets for the vehicle, even if not the reason it was built, or the reason to buy it. People want to know whether it is competent in a routine task.
But will you DRAG RACE IT? A mature driver doesn't drive like a bat out of hell. Do you really need to get up to 60 or 80 in 10 or 20 seconds, or will 25 do? Or "beat" the guy next to you to the next light? I'll answer that - many of my old vehicles are no where near as fast as todays, yet I get along on the highways just fine. My tongue in cheek analogy makes sense....if you aren't a racer.

Last edited:

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base
Glad I saved $2k and ordered the 2.3L for non drag racing use!! Someone just said the other day that there was no good reason to buy the 2.3L. Tell my accountant!! I know this 2.7 will fly, but apparently Ford sold it as a marketing ploy only on the Bronco. Maybe it is the 10R60 that's holding it back? IDK? Maybe those seeking fast 0-60 times should just buy the Jeep?

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
But will you DRAG RACE IT? A mature driver doesn't drive like a bat out of hell. Do you really need to get up to 60 or 80 in 10 or 20 seconds, or will 25 do? Or "beat" the guy next to you to the next light? I'll answer that - many of my old vehicles are no where near as fast as todays, yet I get along on the highways just fine. My tongue in cheek analogy makes sense....if you aren't a racer.
Those old vehicles cost $62k? Not arguing but there’s nothing wrong with wanting something peppy especially for the price ford is asking. I thought the point of the bronco was to set the bar above the wrangler not fall below it. In a lot of category’s it’s way better styling 100% and stability/steering but under power it fails. My point is if I’m going to pay a premium I want it to check all the boxes.
Sponsored