Sponsored

Drawing of driveway with dimensions. Will Sasquatch fit??

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This here is Bronco territory. We’re supposed to mow our own damn lawns.

The fancy pants dealer is down the street, with the Mercedes glamour squad box truck whateverthehellthosethingsare. I bet that one has a makeup mirror.

(I keed! I keed!)
Sponsored

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I have a 1930s house that had a very narrow driveway. A couple years ago we maxed out the width as much as possible. Not sure if the width of the Sasquatch will fit. What do you think?

We have a single file two car setup on the side of the house. The most important thing is we need to pull in and back out straight with enough room for strollers to maneuver through as well as gardeners with lawnmowers. Same with guys taking out trash. This is my only route to get access to the backyard.

My Subaru is 72” wide. And we have a just enough comfortable fit on either side. The gardeners have only nicked the side once in three years. However I was never planning on putting a Sasquatch in the driveway at 79.3”, 7” wider losing 3.5” each side.

What do you guys think? Is this going to get beaten to hell by lawnmowers and strollers?

DADA15EA-8510-4A08-9E55-87BE394EBDA2.jpeg

A3DC2E27-E3A5-4740-B242-F8AF1291045A.jpeg

E489FB2D-03EC-4219-BE31-B732D9E29ADB.jpeg

2A622566-F135-416F-9661-BD56E7DEF228.jpeg

F4F5DC87-951D-4389-A4CD-BB5910848E6B.jpeg

F022617D-FFB4-4B9A-91E0-2C52F1DB5DD6.jpeg

392BC8C9-0B71-4490-BBCA-3AF491FA6C67.jpeg

C57F442D-8A38-48C9-A4E1-97037C1749E4.jpeg
This is why in Michigan we build modest houses with super wide driveways and 4 car garages.

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don’t even mow my own lawn. I live in a shoe box, one of many shoeboxes with the same address, with an elevator.

I’m betting your town doesn’t allow overnight street parking, right? And I’d rather store the Bronco in the back where thieves cannot see it. But you may need to leave it in the front of the house rather than in the back. Turn part of your front lawn into a parking pad? Make it look really cool with rocks and stuff, play up the Bronco aspect?

I grew up with a long and narrow city driveway, like in 1920s Queens, or parts of Newark, Irvington, East Orange. Now way could a lawnmower fit through if a car were in the driveway. The family rule was to drive all the way back, make room for more cars. Kids go rearrange them in the evening for order of departure in the morning.

When dad got a big red pickup (I think it was an F250, not just a 150), that had to stay in the mouth of the driveway and was so long that the end of the truck bed would block part of the sidewalk.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is why in Michigan we build modest houses with super wide driveways and 4 car garages.
Garages here are surprisingly not as big of a deal. A lot of houses don’t even have them. Most housing stock in town is between 1880-1910. And the original driveways are 8-0” wide with big concrete curbs (which we removed). I’m actually one of the newer houses from 1930. We thought we were 1910 until we pulled out an original tub that had 1930 stamped on it. Crazy part is people new to town are more giddy if the house has a gas lamp over a garage. It’s the stupidest thing. I think we have a majority of gas lamps in the country still in operation. About 1 out of 5 houses have them. We do, but I could care less. Looks like this.

1DAD50E3-3613-4A18-BCD7-3987F98EC7CB.jpeg

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don’t even mow my own lawn. I live in a shoe box, one of many shoeboxes with the same address, with an elevator.

I’m betting your town doesn’t allow overnight street parking, right? And I’d rather store the Bronco in the back where thieves cannot see it. But you may need to leave it in the front of the house rather than in the back. Turn part of your front lawn into a parking pad? Make it look really cool with rocks and stuff, play up the Bronco aspect?

I grew up with a long and narrow city driveway, like in 1920s Queens, or parts of Newark, Irvington, East Orange. Now way could a lawnmower fit through if a car were in the driveway. The family rule was to drive all the way back, make room for more cars. Kids go rearrange them in the evening for order of departure in the morning.

When dad got a big red pickup (I think it was an F250, not just a 150), that had to stay in the mouth of the driveway and was so long that the end of the truck bed would block part of the sidewalk.
Absolutely no overnight street parking. Towns pretty strict. It’s so bad I’ve seen people move over a slate roof. It you have an original 100 yr house with a slate roof, you can’t replace with asphalt . Town wants you to spend triple to replace with slate. They won’t approve it. Also all replacement windows, garage doors etc must be wood, not vinyl. And if you build a new garage, you need special variances if the garage door faces or could be seen from the street. Because that’s the way they would have done it 100 years ago. Everything is very by the book for historic reasons.

Sponsored

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The town sounds beautiful, charming, and super annoying if you want to do anything practical.

Crazy idea, but maybe you can find a pic of an early adopter from the 1920s with a circular driveway? A parking pad from the Roaring 20s?

Some early garages were built with a trench inside, like going to the oil change guys, for exactly the same reason - early car drivers had to do their own work. That practical garage was a bonus feature, not a detriment.

if you can show that it’s actually historically accurate, maybe a variance can be obtained.

Good luck!

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The town sounds beautiful, charming, and super annoying if you want to do anything practical.
Yup. That is all accurate. Although it does work to your benefit if you’re picky about this stuff (which I am). Someone is flipping my neighbors house and wanted to extend the house in a big L shape along our property line while walling off my side lot. I was able to get the historic committee to overturn it, easily. Since the massing was not consistent with original structures. At least that was my argument. Ha!

Last edited:

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Sell the kids and you won’t have to worry about strollers...
Get a goat to mow the backyard...

You are welcome.

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I have a 1930s house that had a very narrow driveway. A couple years ago we maxed out the width as much as possible. Not sure if the width of the Sasquatch will fit. What do you think?

We have a single file two car setup on the side of the house. The most important thing is we need to pull in and back out straight with enough room for strollers to maneuver through as well as gardeners with lawnmowers. Same with guys taking out trash. This is my only route to get access to the backyard.

My Subaru is 72” wide. And we have a just enough comfortable fit on either side. The gardeners have only nicked the side once in three years. However I was never planning on putting a Sasquatch in the driveway at 79.3”, 7” wider losing 3.5” each side.

What do you guys think? Is this going to get beaten to hell by lawnmowers and strollers?

Ford Bronco Drawing of driveway with dimensions. Will Sasquatch fit?? 18855CB1-3B8C-4F60-88F9-4E13AA68DC99

Ford Bronco Drawing of driveway with dimensions. Will Sasquatch fit?? 18855CB1-3B8C-4F60-88F9-4E13AA68DC99

I don't know if the Sasquatch will fit, but I'll bet it will be fun pulling into your driveway with all those rocks on the right! You have your own off-road course right at home. Of course, your wife may not agree....... :)

Sponsored

Carbon Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 U15 Bronco New Lime 302ci
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Your house is beautiful and I am sure you will work it all out. Plan your work and work your plan.
I couldn't resist thinking this when I first read your post.?
Ford Bronco Drawing of driveway with dimensions. Will Sasquatch fit?? 1608827742411

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Love your house!!! I am sure you can make it work. Figure out exactly where the property line is where the bushes/trees are on the right side. Move the stones over as far as you can to be next to the property line but also meet town code. If the bushes/trees belong to the neighbor, any portion of them that cross the property line are yours and your responsibility. You can trim them back as far as you want (to the property line). I sell insurance in VA and the laws are a little different here. If a tree limb hanging over your property falls off of your neighbors tree and hits your car, it is not their responsibility... most of the time. If the tree was neglected and they were asked to do something about it, then it would be on their insurance.
So, Make as much room on the right as you can... if you have not already. I see the drive is paved so this may not be an option.
My wife and I could never visit and stay overnight at your house because there is no way my truck will get in your driveway!! LOL!!
Also, the landscape/lawn guys have Liability insurance. If they hit your car and scratch it, it is on them and they have to fix it. I use a push mower with a bagger on my yard because it looks better. They must be using a rider mainly to save time. ASk them if they would consider doing it with push mower. they would obviously charge you more, but it may be worth it to not worry about scrapes and dings.
I completely understand you being as technical as you are, my BIL is the same way.
I hope you can get exactly what you want. Again... LOVE your house. Great job on outdoor layout and landscaping. My home is always a work in progress.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Haha.

Maybe it’s not as bad as the dimensions on paper make it out to be? Subaru plus 3.5” on each side? It’s really the fenders and rails that stick out. The actual body of the truck is probably only 2” wider than the Subaru. So as far as getting inside the truck, the clearance of the door swing really isnt that much different than the Subaru.

Our stroller is 26” wide. And when the mow the backyard the switch over to a small push mower with bag that probably is the same width.

0F9356D8-A22E-4C9A-A15F-D2A5A4E981F0.jpeg

C7917047-C014-456B-95AB-574CD19CD9D3.jpeg

EA914672-AEDA-4E23-934C-3053F399C64A.jpeg

CBE90604-9278-4A06-A194-15C1DD122536.jpeg

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't know if the Sasquatch will fit, but I'll bet it will be fun pulling into your driveway with all those rocks on the right! You have your own off-road course right at home. Of course, your wife may not agree....... :)
I was thinking the same! Put those right side 35"s right on top of those boulders poser style!:cool:

splathead

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Acord
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Haha.

Maybe it’s not as bad as the dimensions on paper make it out to be? Subaru plus 3.5” on each side? It’s really the fenders and rails that stick out. The actual body of the truck is probably only 2” wider than the Subaru. So as far as getting inside the truck, the clearance of the door swing really isnt that much different than the Subaru.

Our stroller is 26” wide. And when the mow the backyard the switch over to a small push mower with bag that probably is the same width.
Don't park in the center of your driveway. Park far right. You and the kids get out on the driver's side. If you are with your wife, let her out first before parking right. You don't need a stroller to go to and from the car to the house.
Sponsored