Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey all, I was finally able to secure a bronco in Pennsylvania during Labor Day Weekend.

Ford Bronco Drive it like you stole it: PA to LA in 3.5 Days, meet the Red Bandit Bronco IMG_5714-Pano

I reached my 1 year reservation milestone and realized I wouldn't get a build date for possibly another 6 months to a year, not feasible in my situation. So I scoured the dreaded new retail bronco listings and found a hot pepper red, v6, 2 door badlands Sasquatch, high, with the sunrider top for 5k adm. My order was for a black 2 door form a dealer who was already charging 2.5k in "theft protection, nitrogen farts" I was hesitant about the major color change, but I'm really happy with the hot pepper red.

I made the deal at 10:30am on Thursday and rounded up a buddy to fly to Pennsylvania with me by 3:30pm the same day. We both had to be back in LA by Monday to get to work on Tuesday. We landed late and managed to get a hotel near the dealer. By 10:30am the next day and after a quick PDI. I was the proud new owner of a Bronco.
Ford Bronco Drive it like you stole it: PA to LA in 3.5 Days, meet the Red Bandit Bronco Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 12.01.40 PM
Ford Bronco Drive it like you stole it: PA to LA in 3.5 Days, meet the Red Bandit Bronco IMG_5502

From Horsham Pennsylvania we hit the road immediately on our way to visit a friend in Burlington North Carolina, but not before we got a Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich.
Ford Bronco Drive it like you stole it: PA to LA in 3.5 Days, meet the Red Bandit Bronco 9208D2BA-F1F0-449B-A59D-24C15D7E8249_1_105_c

Once we got on the freeway, we started to get unbearable wind noise from the top. We drove to North Carolina to visit friends this way and then stuffed rags to get the noise to stop. Dealer is notified and it's being looked at by a local dealer here. Hopefully they sort it out and I dont have to go back for more adjustments. The only thing keeping me from losing my lid, pardon the pun, was the amazing dinner and cake that was waiting for us when we arrived at my friends house in North Carolina.
Ford Bronco Drive it like you stole it: PA to LA in 3.5 Days, meet the Red Bandit Bronco IMG_5537
Ford Bronco Drive it like you stole it: PA to LA in 3.5 Days, meet the Red Bandit Bronco IMG_5533

From North Carolina we dashed to Nashville, where we had a datsun roadster sighting. I was ecstatic, being a roadster owner myself we had to pull over and meet the owner.
Ford Bronco Drive it like you stole it: PA to LA in 3.5 Days, meet the Red Bandit Bronco IMG_5553

We then made a small detour to Missouri to visit friends and family in Kansas City, on our way we faced heavy rains. Our makeshift rag seal for the bestop started soaking up water, but didn't leak... much....
Ford Bronco Drive it like you stole it: PA to LA in 3.5 Days, meet the Red Bandit Bronco IMG_5574

From there we headed west through Kansas on our way to Denver. We enjoyed the power of the v6 twin turbo so much that the Colorado Sheriffs decided to have a chat with us. Soon after I was the proud owner of a new speeding ticket. Sheriff was very friendly and we apologized profusely.
Ford Bronco Drive it like you stole it: PA to LA in 3.5 Days, meet the Red Bandit Bronco IMG_5621
Ford Bronco Drive it like you stole it: PA to LA in 3.5 Days, meet the Red Bandit Bronco IMG_5624

While in Denver we decided that we should probably visit Moab, because why not. So that's what we did. Drove to Moab, got a hotel late night, visited Arches national park at sunrise. We then dashed to Sand Flats Recreation Area to do a "first dirt" on 40 psi tires lol. The ticket agent at the gate was super friendly and understood our mission and didn't charge us an entry fee. We got our "for the gram" pics and quickly made our way to Monument Valley.
Ford Bronco Drive it like you stole it: PA to LA in 3.5 Days, meet the Red Bandit Bronco IMG_5628
Ford Bronco Drive it like you stole it: PA to LA in 3.5 Days, meet the Red Bandit Bronco IMG_5648
Ford Bronco Drive it like you stole it: PA to LA in 3.5 Days, meet the Red Bandit Bronco IMG_5672
Ford Bronco Drive it like you stole it: PA to LA in 3.5 Days, meet the Red Bandit Bronco IMG_5690

Driving Monument Valley was a real treat. It was my first time.
Ford Bronco Drive it like you stole it: PA to LA in 3.5 Days, meet the Red Bandit Bronco IMG_5745

On our way to St. George we missed a turn that led us to driving through Marble Canyon.
Ford Bronco Drive it like you stole it: PA to LA in 3.5 Days, meet the Red Bandit Bronco IMG_5798-Pano

Then passing through Kaibab National Forest. All of it was amazing and jaw dropping. Glad we missed our turn.

Once in St. George we face bumper to bumper traffic due to road construction. 2.5 hours for 7 miles. It was brutal. So we pulled over and fired up our portable CB radio we got from Flying Js and started chatting with the truckers.
Ford Bronco Drive it like you stole it: PA to LA in 3.5 Days, meet the Red Bandit Bronco IMG_5827

From there we ended up passing Las Vegas and filling up fuel in Primm Nevada. By now the broncos front end was full of bugs and we were exhausted. My buddy said that there might be a semi-truck car wash open at 1am. We drove up and sure enough... we were able to get a wash in. This was the boost we needed to get through the remainder of our drive. (yes it leaked) I didn't realize a shower of high pressure water was part of the wash lol

Ford Bronco Drive it like you stole it: PA to LA in 3.5 Days, meet the Red Bandit Bronco IMG_4714
Ford Bronco Drive it like you stole it: PA to LA in 3.5 Days, meet the Red Bandit Bronco IMG_5836

After 3500 Miles and 60 Hours she is home.
Named "Red Bandit"
Ford Bronco Drive it like you stole it: PA to LA in 3.5 Days, meet the Red Bandit Bronco IMG_5841
Ford Bronco Drive it like you stole it: PA to LA in 3.5 Days, meet the Red Bandit Bronco Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 12.05.21 PM

IMG_4714.jpg

IMG_5843.jpeg

IMG_5843.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
KT_bronco

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Scape Goat I would. It did the long haul well and didn't destroy my body in the process. My rear was swampy though with vinyl seats. I'm thinking of doing a plaid cloth insert, kind of a vintage style. I'm curious if anyone has done this yet.

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for sharing excellent road trip write up and photos. I like how you took control of your Bronco destiny. Found it across country and picked it up. I call this a two door score. Welcome to the two door club

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Was this an order someone bailed on?
You said Horsham, so I am assuming this was from Chapman Ford and @DealerInsider

Sponsored

Murfman

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WildTrak, Cyber Orange soft top
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Would you do a cross country trip in the bronco again? From a comfort/road noise standpoint.

I enjoyed the post and pictures! Looks like fun!
I did 4867 miles in July and Aug, in my 4 door. It was a very comfortable ride and averaged 17.25 mpg. Soft top went through torrential rains in W. Illinois and Ky, no leaks. Yes, I'd do it again!

BWepps

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Beaut of a Bronco and what an excellent adventure!!

OP
OP
KT_bronco

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was this an order someone bailed on?
You said Horsham, so I am assuming this was from Chapman Ford and @DealerInsider
Yes, it was a special order that a customer didn’t pick up from Chapman. I didn’t mention the name of the dealer cause I didn’t want to throw them under the bus for the poor install of the bestop. My contact there reached out after I complained and had me take it to a local dealer in LA where it sits now.

Last edited:

SasquatchMansquatch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 door basquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Damn, he got you in the unmarked. That's illegal in some states for safety reasons, but not in Colorado. It really should be illegal everywhere, every once in a while you hear about somebody impersonating police to abduct/assault/extort people.

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 1967 Bronco U-14, 1993 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, it was a special order that a customer didn’t pick up from Chapman. I didn’t mention the name of the dealer cause I didn’t want to throw them under the bus for the poor install of the bestop. My contact there reached out after I complained and had me take it to a local dealer in LA where it sits now.
Congrats!!
Try this out for the hardtop noise, looks like its working for a lot of people.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...d-top-owners-wind-noise-reduction-hack.46473/

Sponsored
OP
OP
KT_bronco

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Congrats.

OP
OP
KT_bronco

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Damn, he got you in the unmarked. That's illegal in some states for safety reasons, but not in Colorado. It really should be illegal everywhere, every once in a while you hear about somebody impersonating police to abduct/assault/extort people.
Yeah I agree, but he was nice enough and allowed us to take a pic. This was the only time I was happy the bronco tops out at 101. Kept us out of even more trouble.

OP
OP
KT_bronco

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

:rolleyes: you say drive it like you stole it but it took you 3 and a half days that could be done in 48 hours or less 🤪 nice looking ride.(y)
It can also be done in 27hrs at an average speed of 120mph. Check out these guys, unreal how they got it done.

Sponsored