Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It actually wasn't the TB. They replaced the clutch and that didn't fix it. Going on 3 weeks now with no resolution. The last time I talked to them, they did not know what the problem was.
With a new release vehicle like the Bronco one would think the dealership would replace the entire clutch assemble, and not dick around with a piece by piece fix. But, as stated before there aren't any real mechanics left. They just replace parts step by step as recommended by the computer manual. Sad......sad indeed. Good luck sir. I will say you are much more calm than I would be at this point. Good on you.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's been years since I've done a clutch, but don't you normally replace the clutch, pressure plate and throw out as a "kit"? Maybe even resurface the flywheel?

Seems idiotic to take it all apart and not replace the parts that actually make up the "clutch"

Sponsored

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It actually wasn't the TB. They replaced the clutch and that didn't fix it. Going on 3 weeks now with no resolution. The last time I talked to them, they did not know what the problem was.
Did they say why it wasn't the throw-out bearing? If they replaced the clutch assembly, pressure plate and all, and it still makes that noise, than it's hard for me to think that it isn't.

Unless the factory didn't install the flywheel correctly and the whole thing is wobbling, but you should feel that immediately. That or catastrophic engine failure (thrust bearings in the engine are shot). But these are very, very unlikely.

Point is that there's still more to check in to, and I would have really hoped that they threw a new TOB in there if they were already doing a clutch.

OP
OP
Rcarpen22

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I assumed they did the TB if they replaced the whole clutch assembly, but I don't really know for sure.

Denny Swift

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 Spyder, 992 GTS, Citroen 2CV, Husky FE350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My guess is a broken anti-rattle (anti-judder) spring on the clutch plate. It didn’t seem like a release bearing to me. But if you say they replaced the ”clutch” I’m assuming that means the clutch plate, the pressure plate, and the release bearing. They also must have refinished or at least inspected the flywheel for trueness. If they did all that, and it didn’t change, then this is really strange. Manual transmissions have been around in the same basic form since dinosaurs roamed so troubleshooting them should be straightforward. Best of luck! I’m sure they will get to the bottom of it soon.

Last edited:

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The whole damn thing should be replaced, Flywheel, pressure plate, disk, TB. its all mechanical. When there is a failure or bad part, all of it needs to be replaced, its all surface contacted enagement.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I assumed they did the TB if they replaced the whole clutch assembly, but I don't really know for sure.
I'd get on the phone with the service advisor and find out exactly what parts have been replaced, numbers and all. Something sounds fishy.

If you get it back or get a chance to check it out again, take a video of you pressing the clutch with your fingers. If it starts as soon as you feel pressure, then I'm on the right track. The noise is caused by pressure from the TOB on the clutch assembly, not the clutch itself. When you apply this light pressure the TOB starts making contact with the release fingers on the pressure plate. It also pushes the entire clutch/flywheel/crankshaft assembly forward just a hair, putting some pressure on the thrust bearing. Like I said, though, that's a rare problem. It's also hard to believe that a tech would have missed a misaligned flywheel. And if the pressure plate was already replaced, meaning that the release fingers are brand new, then there's only one rotating part left that it could be.

Throw-out bearing.

Sponsored

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The whole damn thing should be replaced, Flywheel, pressure plate, disk, TB. its all mechanical. When there is a failure or bad part, all of it needs to be replaced, its all surface contacted enagement.
That's not how warranty works, unfortunately. Warranty departments are the ultimate forms of cost-cutting exercises. The failed part, and only the failed part, gets replaced. Otherwise the dealer isn't getting paid for their claim.

OP
OP
Rcarpen22

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yo. I have contact information for the chief engineer on the super duty program. He *MIGHT* be able to direct you to the bronco Chief if you’d like
That would be fantastic. Thanks.

OP
OP
Rcarpen22

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's not how warranty works, unfortunately. Warranty departments are the ultimate forms of cost-cutting exercises. The failed part, and only the failed part, gets replaced. Otherwise the dealer isn't getting paid for their claim.
So, I talked to my service advisor again today. They now believe the problem is in the engine. I know, can't make this stuff up. He says they are just waiting on Ford to tell them what to do. So, almost three weeks in (I had it for about a week before this happened), and they still don't know what's wrong and have absolutely not the slightest idea of when I may get it back. I am now to the point where I am going to press my customer service contact on options. I think we're past what is reasonable for a brand new vehicle.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

can you share which dealership is 'fixing' this issue?

i'm maryland based and might want more diagnostic capability than this dealership seems capable of.
Sponsored