Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update #6 11/3/21
I finally, after four months, have my Bronco back. The dealer finished installing the new engine and I picked it up this afternoon. It seems good. There’s still an airbag fault, but I will take it back in when those parts arrive. It seems that Bronco parts are especially hard to come by. The final missing piece was the front driveshaft bolts. The service manager was very nice and I am beyond happy to have a Bronco back in my garage.

Unfortunately the news today was not all great. The GM apparently told Ford he did not intend to cooperate with a buy-back or replacement. Of course, this comes after I already placed the order. I am hoping his intent is not to try to mark it up for a big profit, but who knows. I have an email from the salesman stating no ADM and specifying MSRP plus $500 doc fee. I very much hope they honor that without a lot of fuss. We’ll see what happens on that front. In the meantime, I intend to enjoy the Bronco and hope for a few more good top down days before winter. Here’s a pic of the new 4-banger installed.

Ford Bronco Drivetrain Failure in Bronco Badlands 2.3 Back with new engine after 4 months C74AC7AD-CCC3-4200-8377-7E71FDFD6169

Update #5 9/16/21
Well, I finally have some resolution. Ford is going to replace my Bronco. I used my early reservation (day 2 i think) and placed an order. When the new one comes in, I swap them for the defective one (assuming the dealer actually gets it fixed). I ordered another 4 door Badlands with soft top so it will schedule quickly. The reacquired vehicle team representative has been great to work with. On the other hand, I was in the dealership Monday and they told me the new engine had been there for a week and they hadn’t started installing it. The service manager said it would be 2 more weeks because they’re having staffing issues🤨.

Update #4 8/26/21
Well, my Bronco has been in the dealership's service center for a month now. A few days ago, I finally got to talk to a Ford powertrain engineer. He was super nice and more knowledgeable than anyone else I have talked to. He evaluated my video and showed it to people from the Bronco/Ranger and Mustang powertrain divisions. They are supposed to be providing a resolution to the dealer by 8/31. However, under Maryland law, it will qualify legally as a lemon as of tomorrow because it will have been out of service for 30 days. Technically, they'll be on the hook to replace it or buy it back.

UPDATE #3 8/6/21
So, the story is getting worse. After 10 days at the dealer, I still don’t have the Bronco back. They put a whole new clutch in, but that did not solve the problem. Now they cannot figure out what the issue is. I can’t get in touch with anyone at Ford that has any authority to do anything, so I guess I am stuck. So if anyone has had any success getting in touch with anyone at Ford about issues, please let me know who you called.

UPDATE #2:
It’s officially with Ford for service. No idea how long it will be in there, but I’ll keep this thread posted for anyone who’s interested.
Ford Bronco Drivetrain Failure in Bronco Badlands 2.3 Back with new engine after 4 months C89485F3-DF2F-480C-AB53-8822835EC3CA

Ford Bronco Drivetrain Failure in Bronco Badlands 2.3 Back with new engine after 4 months 7B9650D2-D2DE-42F4-B207-539BF17CA1B2

UPDATE:
I got in the Bronco to take a quick spin and the issue came back and is worse. I can hear the juttering even when I’m not pushing in the clutch. The Bronco is not driveable, so looks like I’ll be having it towed to the dealer. @Ford Motor Company I’d love your input.

So, I am 620 miles into Bronco ownership and have had three issues so far with the latest being potentially the most troubling. The first issue occurred immediately. The airbag light came on day 1 and I’ve had a driver’s side airbag circuit fault ever since. I was going to hold off taking it in for work until the break-in period is over because I don’t trust the dealership to respect the “take it easy” mandate in the manual. The second issue was a minor one. The driver window will not go all the way up on one touch. It stops halfway up every time. Also not urgent. Then last night I was cruising home and I slowed to make a turn and pushed the clutch in. It immediately started doing this weird “juttering” kind of thing. I could feel the jutter coming through the clutch pedal and I could hear whatever it was. It did not feel or sound good. I was still able to shift. It did this for the next three shifts and then went back top normal. I’ve not driven it since, but I figure if it happens again, I will have to suck it up and go to the dealer. I really wanted to get the break-in period accomplished before putting it in the hands of dealership mechanics. So, about the issue itself, does anyone know if the clutch has any kind of electromechanical assist to make the pedal easier? If so, it could have been the solenoid or motor binding or hangin up. That’s really all I can think of that would have felt like that. It certainly wasn’t a hydraulics issue (if the clutch is hydraulic). Thoughts? Again, I expected issues on an early build, so I’m not freaking out or anything and after two weeks of driving the 2.3 with the 7-speed, I wouldn’t take the 2.7 and 10 speed even as a free upgrade. The manual is so much fun. @Ford Motor Company any ideas what this could be?
Sponsored

Last edited:

LandCruiser

Base
First Name
Bocephias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It sounds like your clutch is not engaging fully and there is something wrong with the cylinder or assist, or something like that.

What you’re describing it sounds like it’s slipping instead of fully engaging for some reason.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That sucks, sorry to hear. Did the clutch pedal feel any different?

OP
OP
Rcarpen22

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That sucks, sorry to hear. Did the clutch pedal feel any different?
Yes. It felt like pushing it over a washboard. Like a small motor was pushing back against it. Never felt that in a clutch.

foremi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, T1 V10, T7, YXZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you feel it in the pedal? Was it when the pedal was in that it shuddered or was it when you were off the clutch?

Look at the manual (or maybe someone else is more familiar with fords than I am) but you should be able to "recalibrate" the windows. It should be in the manual.

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes. It felt like pushing it over a washboard. Like a small motor was pushing back against it. Never felt that in a clutch.
Having zero experience with this clutch I would guess slave cylinder related. I'm not sure how the ECU interacts with the MT, I suppose that could effect the clutch in some form or another.

OP
OP
Rcarpen22

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you feel it in the pedal? Was it when the pedal was in that it shuddered or was it when you were off the clutch?

Look at the manual (or maybe someone else is more familiar with fords than I am) but you should be able to "recalibrate" the windows. It should be in the manual.
Yes, I felt it in the pedal while pressing the clutch in. Once the pedal was to the floor, I think it stopped juttering. Did it several times, then stopped. Thanks for the tip on the window. Will definitely look that up.

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
There is a window reset sequence with the power window button. I believe you roll it all the way down and hold the button. Then roll it up all the way and hold the button. I think it just needs to relearn the window location. Let me google it...

foremi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, T1 V10, T7, YXZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, I felt it in the pedal while pressing the clutch in. Once the pedal was to the floor, I think it stopped juttering. Did it several times, then stopped. Thanks for the tip on the window. Will definitely look that up.
Did the CAR jutter or just the pedal?

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
There is a window reset sequence with the power window button. I believe you roll it all the way down and hold the button. Then roll it up all the way and hold the button. I think it just needs to relearn the window location. Let me google it...

Carry out all steps within 30 seconds of starting the sequence:

1. Close the window.
  2. Press and hold the window control switch until the window is fully open. Keep the window control switch pressed for a few seconds.
  3. Lift and hold the window control switch until the window is fully closed. Keep the window control switch held for a few seconds.
  4. Press and hold the window control switch until the window is fully open. Keep the window control switch pressed for a few seconds.
  5. Lift and hold the window control switch until the window is fully closed. Keep the window control switch held for a few seconds.
Note: Repeat the procedure if the window does not close when you use one-touch

Sponsored

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I wonder if it was some of the 4WD driveline components rolling over? Just a guess.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sounds like a report it to the dealer shop issue.

OP
OP
Rcarpen22

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it happens again, I’ll take it in. My local dealership hasn’t even gotten a Bronco yet, so I anticipate there will be people crawling all over it and it may get some unnecessary “test drives.” 🙁