Drivetrain Failure in Bronco Badlands 2.3 Back with new engine after 4 months

bigtexyahoocom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 S2000
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I would have to agree that we tend to hear only the problems more vocally with an engaged and thoughtful group like this.

Also just an observation from OffRoadeo Texas - those Broncos are being BEAT TO SHIT all day, everyday for at least four months now and they were still kicking (no full-service ford auto tech shop on site that I was aware of, just light maintenance). I'm not sure my Bronco will experience in four years what those vehicles go through in a single week.
That’s very true. The problem in this case is that there are so few Broncos out there. You hear a few hundred posters with Camry problems and it’s .001% of what’s on the road being driven. That’s more like 5% of the Broncos in circulation right now. Things should become much clearer once we actually have a workable population of these on the road.
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do feel your pain. My Audi Q7 has been at the dealership for a solid month now with a few weeks to go, all over a stupid camera module. Said module keeps shorting out cameras at random.

Seems quality is hard to find at any price point these days.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looking at the engine bay on a Bronco , it probably would take the most seasoned mechanic six weeks to remove and install a motor. I feel for the tech who was given this task.
Me, I am letting them buy it back. I can wait for another Bronco before living with one like this.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They did assess the condition before and after so we could pay for any damage done.
Thans for the update and Offrodeo review!

Did you pay for the insurance I had read about here?

Now that you've been there, would you advise for/against the insurance for peace of mind?

I guess some felt it was a bit spendy.

bodie_38

First Name
Bodie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ELR, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'll join the "make Ford buy it back" crowd. If you keep it, as a potential buyer, I would never buy a vehicle that was less than 2 years old and had already had the engine and transmission replaced. At least not for anything close to the value of one that didn't. I would equate that to something with a salvage title.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Looking at the engine bay on a Bronco , it probably would take the most seasoned mechanic six weeks to remove and install a motor. I feel for the tech who was given this task.
Me, I am letting them buy it back. I can wait for another Bronco before living with one like this.
Once you get all the crazy turbo plumbing out of the way, it's less bad than it looks. The removal and installation of the plumbing part still sucks, especially when you are on a timeline.

OP
OP
Rcarpen22

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To your knowledge, had they actually charged anyone for damage?

From what I've read about the other locations, it sounds like unless you do something really stupid that seriously damages the vehicle they weren't charging anyone. Certainly not for cosmetic scrapes and such.

Seems really odd that they'd pay special attention to damaging the rock rails. I mean, that's essentially their purpose.
Good question. I don't know that they were charging anyone. I asked, but didn't really get a straight answer. My point about the rock rails was that a few guys bounced their Broncos off the rock rails and I went over the same obstacles in an Outer Banks that didn't have rock rails. Had I taken the same line, I'd have put a pretty good dent in the rockers. Fortunately, I didn't. Even with Squatch though (and some folks had Badlands on 33s), I did come very close to putting the body on some rocks.

Now that you've been there, would you advise for/against the insurance for peace of mind?

I did get the insurance and would probably do it again. They let us have more leeway than I expected. I was the second Bronco in line and our instructor rode with the first Bronco. There were times when he would get out to spot people through an obstacle and send us on up the trail. We went through some pretty good terrain by ourselves. I could easily see sliding sideways and putting the body into something or worse. To me, $75 is a very small price to pay to limit that liability.

Last edited:

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lots of mustang GT, owners take out or replace the clutch assist spring

gives the clutch a real weird feeling if you are not used to them..I have no idea if bronco has one

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Lots of mustang GT, owners take out or replace the clutch assist spring

gives the clutch a real weird feeling if you are not used to them..I have no idea if bronco has one
It absolutely does, and it's beefy. However After driving a stick Badlands I didn't mind it all.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd keep it, but I'd also not have a problem buying a used car that has a newer than the car engine and transmission in it, I'd just figure that was put in and tested with more care than the assembly line has time for. And less miles on it. It's not like the wheels will fall off next. Or not very likely at least :-D

Sponsored

Bob 07064

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 4x4 ranger, '17 edge 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Once you get all the crazy turbo plumbing out of the way, it's less bad than it looks. The removal and installation of the plumbing part still sucks, especially when you are on a timeline.
I agree. once you unplug the main harness from the pcm and disconnect all the turbo piping and other normally removed items prior to yanking it, it should just pull right out.

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

When I was at the NH off-roadeo over the labor day weekend they mentioned no Broncos had been damaged/charged yet. The extra insurance also does not cover the first $3500 in damage. I passed on it.

OP
OP
Rcarpen22

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
WOW!

The big print giveth; the little print taketh away.
Ha ha, I mean, everyone is different, but to me $70 was a pretty small price to pay to limit my liability to $3500. I imagine if I had come down hard on the rocker and smashed it in, that would get me right past that $3500.
Sponsored