Sponsored

Driving 80+ mph on highway with new Bronco?

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Regularly use a Toyota FJ for 500 mile trips back home and no issues with 80+ and stock 265 Nitto AT's. Weight is about the same as a 2-door Bronco and same with clearance height but HP and torque are both way up even on the base 2.3 so I don't see either engine or package option not being able to effortlessly cruise at 80 in comfort.

Noise might the only concern, top down/up too along with seat comfort and what those 35's do for tracking/stability.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yukon xl
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I plan on taking mine cross country several times. So being able to cruise at 75 to 85, depending on the state is quite important. I hadn't even thought of it being an issue outside of road/wind noise.
Thats one of my biggest worries. If it drives like a jeep, we're screwed.

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I drove a JL Rubicon from Atlanta to Nashville and back in the same day. I was ready to jump off a cliff by the time I got home. Noise wasnt bad but the ride and drift were horrible.
Amen to that, I had a 97 on 33 inch mts and I drove it from Winter Park to Daytona about an hour trip and I was absolutely terrified the whole time because everytime a truck drove by we got pushed a good foot to the side, now that was also with no top or doors but the sliding isn't as fun when you're on the highway. But with a modern vehicle that isnt using 20 plus year old hardware it should be much better.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Amen to that, I had a 97 on 33 inch mts and I drove it from Winter Park to Daytona about an hour trip and I was absolutely terrified the whole time because everytime a truck drove by we got pushed a good foot to the side, now that was also with no top or doors but the sliding isn't as fun when you're on the highway. But with a modern vehicle that isnt using 20 plus year old hardware it should be much better.
Based on research, your 1997 Jeep weighed around 3100 pounds. The Bronco weighs around a literal ton more. That will make a difference with wind.

My 1985 Z-28 would get pushed when I drove past a tractor trailer and it weighed about the same as your Jeep. My 2011 F-150 weighs around 5,000 pounds. No problem with wind 99% of the time.

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I really don’t see a reason why it wouldn’t drive as good or better than an F-150 at those speeds. I’m not even slightly concerned about it.

I am curious about the brakes though...is Ford planning to use the same brakes across the board on the Bronco? I don’t know anything about brakes so I’m genuinely curious. It seems like the lightest Bronco at ~4300 lbs should have different brake capabilities than a heavy one at 5300 lbs.

Sponsored

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Based on research, your 1997 Jeep weighed around 3100 pounds. The Bronco weighs around a literal ton more. That will make a difference with wind.

My 1985 Z-28 would get pushed when I drove past a tractor trailer and it weighed about the same as your Jeep. My 2011 F-150 weighs around 5,000 pounds. No problem with wind 99% of the time.
I sure as hell hope so because I have a 45 minute commute to work on the highway lol

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I really don’t see a reason why it wouldn’t drive as good or better than an F-150 at those speeds. I’m not even slightly concerned about it.

I am curious about the brakes though...is Ford planning to use the same brakes across the board on the Bronco? I don’t know anything about brakes so I’m genuinely curious. It seems like the lightest Bronco at ~4300 lbs should have different brake capabilities than a heavy one at 5300 lbs.
THIS!!!!!

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I plan on taking mine cross country several times. So being able to cruise at 75 to 85, depending on the state is quite important. I hadn't even thought of it being an issue outside of road/wind noise.
Going with 2-dr manual. Driving cross country music will drown out my wind and road noise. Speed will depend on how wound up the revs are at 80+. My Mitsu Lancer w/5-speed manual at 80, 3.5k revs sounds about at it's limit.

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
THIS!!!!!
Perhaps the brake hardware itself is physically designed for stopping all Bronco weights. Then maybe Ford uses a brake by wire system where they can adjust the input needs for certain brake outputs depending on weight. Again, I have no idea. Talking out of my ass here lol.

“Scaling” is what those I&E programmers call it I believe.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Are you worried about the lighter Bronco having too good of brakes or the heavy Bronco not having enough brake?

I'm not concerned at all. I expect that Ford is putting on brakes capable of stopping the heaviest version. Everything these days is computer modulated, and I would expect the brakes to be as well. They will work as designed for whatever model you have.

Just don't think anything on 35s at 80mph is going to stop on a dime though.

Sponsored

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Are you worried about the lighter Bronco having too good of brakes or the heavy Bronco not having enough brake?

I'm not concerned at all. I expect that Ford is putting on brakes capable of stopping the heaviest version. Everything these days is computer modulated, and I would expect the brakes to be as well. They will work as designed for whatever model you have.

Just don't think anything on 35s at 80mph is going to stop on a dime though.
Yup, you’re probably dead on with that take. I’m sure whatever the solution they have will work just fine regardless.

HideoutBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Defender / 1985 Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I drive the i95 Long Island to N. Carolina 4or5 times a year. Do you think this vehicle will be reasonably comfortable At 75-80 mph.
Had my cruise set to 95 for most of the last few days….drove awesome!

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Driving at 80 with Sasquatch is one thing..........what's the breaking like on those things at 80 mph?

I think I'd just try and realistically commit to driving a little slower, leaving a little earlier to get there.
Do you mean braking or do you mean breaking?

Both are bad at 80 MPH...

Last edited:

Ronaldo

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71bronco67cvMustangFFRCobra97Viper93RX7R1
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I drive the i95 Long Island to N. Carolina 4or5 times a year. Do you think this vehicle will be reasonably comfortable At 75-80 mph.
My advice to you is to rent a jeep wrangler and make the drive. The next ride take the Bronco. You will think the bronco came from heaven and built by the Lord himself to safely comfort you on your journey!
#IFScloud. #straightaxlesatan

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is.
In fact, if you get caught up in a fast group of cars, you might find yourself accidently going 95.
Swear, I was totally just pacing the traffic, cruise set at 78 .... looked down BOOM!!! 90+mph. :oops:
Sponsored