Sponsored

Driving 80+ mph on highway with new Bronco?

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
It is.
In fact, if you get caught up in a fast group of cars, you might find yourself accidently going 95.
Swear, I was totally just pacing the traffic, cruise set at 78 .... looked down BOOM!!! 90+mph. :oops:
Straight line is one thing, but making a quick manuver at that speed in this type of vehicle could spell trouble. The key design features are kind of the opposite you'd incorporate when building a high speed pavement vehicle.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Straight line is one thing, but making a quick manuver at that speed in this type of vehicle could spell trouble. The key design features are kind of the opposite you'd incorporate when building a high speed pavement vehicle.
I was answering a specific question, as qouted.

Do you think this vehicle will be reasonably comfortable At 75-80 mph.
I stand by my answer.
It is comfortable. It is silky smooth ,so smooth in fact, you may find yourself accidently going faster than you intended.

As far as it being a high speed machine, I agree, it is not, especially a 2 door, but it is stable, comfortable and has zero issues FOR ME at 80mph on an Interstate.
None.
If I had Squatch, it may be different, but I have a low slung Base on 30's. It's not a Miata or Mini-Cooper by any means, but it's solid on the highway.

If that is too fast for you, by all means, slow down. (get in the right hand lane , please)
Nice signature by the way.
lol ;) (sorry , had to do it)

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I drive the i95 Long Island to N. Carolina 4or5 times a year. Do you think this vehicle will be reasonably comfortable At 75-80 mph.
Base with auto is totally comfortable at these speeds and above. This is with Falken 265/70r16 AT3Ws, which ha
I drive the i95 Long Island to N. Carolina 4or5 times a year. Do you think this vehicle will be reasonably comfortable At 75-80 mph.
Base with auto is totally comfortable at these speeds and above. This is with Falken 265/70r16 AT3Ws, which I picked for weight and 4 season AT capabilities. Remre ember this is an offroader and sudden / panic stops are rewarded with nosedive and unpredictable bouncy bouncy response.

wny pat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ; 2014 JK; 2020 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I would think I it’ll be perfectly safe and reasonably stable at 80MPH, heck my 2 door JL Rubicon is fine. As for noise, this from Car and Driver:

The off-road rubber starts singing at about 30 mph. Between 65 and 70 mph, wind noise overpowers tire roar. Even with the extra sound-deadening material on our First Edition's hard top, at 70 mph, the Bronco summons 73 decibels of interior racket, which is no quieter than a V-6-powered Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.

Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would think I it’ll be perfectly safe and reasonably stable at 80MPH, heck my 2 door JL Rubicon is fine. As for noise, this from Car and Driver:

The off-road rubber starts singing at about 30 mph. Between 65 and 70 mph, wind noise overpowers tire roar. Even with the extra sound-deadening material on our First Edition's hard top, at 70 mph, the Bronco summons 73 decibels of interior racket, which is no quieter than a V-6-powered Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.
Just because you think your Jeep is safe a 80MPH surly doesn't mean it is...

wny pat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ; 2014 JK; 2020 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just because you think your Jeep is safe a 80MPH surly doesn't mean it is...
“With 268 hp, the turbocharged 2 Liter 16v Inline 4 gasoline engine accelerates this Wrangler Unlimited 2.0 to 62 mph in 7.6 seconds and on to a maximum speed of 110 mph”

Not sure Id set the cruise control at 110MPH, but I set it at 83ish from time to time. Nice to know I’ve got another 35MPH to play with if I’m ever on the autobahn. The JL drives like a dream, admittedly not as quiet and serene as my Tundra Crewmax, but one handed relaxed interstate driving nonetheless minus the wind noise. Then again, I remember reading the Rubicon is actually quieter at highway speed than the Bronco.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was answering a specific question, as qouted.

I stand by my answer.
It is comfortable. It is silky smooth ,so smooth in fact, you may find yourself accidently going faster than you intended.

As far as it being a high speed machine, I agree, it is not, especially a 2 door, but it is stable, comfortable and has zero issues FOR ME at 80mph on an Interstate.
None.
If I had Squatch, it may be different, but I have a low slung Base on 30's. It's not a Miata or Mini-Cooper by any means, but it's solid on the highway.

If that is too fast for you, by all means, slow down. (get in the right hand lane , please)
Nice signature by the way.
lol ;) (sorry , had to do it)
Agreed it's not a high speed machine. It can be driven at 95 mph, but it's mostly the opposite design for that type of usage. Although no doubt high speed pavement driving, will be closest thing to "adventure" for some Bronco owners. ;)

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I set the ACC at 90mph. Max is 101mph.
Badlands Sasquatch is a sports car compared to my previous solid axle g-wagen.
No problem keeping up with the faster traffic on 95 heading into the city late at night or weekend traffic on the LIE. (85mph-95mph)
It's much closer to my previous-previous Porsche Cayenne Turbo than my previous g-wagen.

I just enabled Sport mode. Can't wait to see how that performs.

Leave extra room for braking. The 35" Sasquatch tires don't bite as hard as smaller and/or less 'off-road' tires.
It's only a matter of time until I get a speeding ticket in this thing. It's been decades since my last...

VGK_Fan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Audi S5 Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Took my 2-door BL with stock 33" tires to AZ to break it in. Used ACC and changed up the speed regularly but I probably averaged 80 mph, and spent a good time at 85 and above. Even goosed it to 100 for a second and it was fine. Not recommending people drive that fast but on a straight highway with no other cars around it was stable. You might have to raise your voice or the radio volume to cover the wind noise (MIC) at higher speeds but it was tolerable.

Sponsored

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Took my 2-door BL with stock 33" tires to AZ to break it in. Used ACC and changed up the speed regularly but I probably averaged 80 mph, and spent a good time at 85 and above. Even goosed it to 100 for a second and it was fine. Not recommending people drive that fast but on a straight highway with no other cars around it was stable. You might have to raise your voice or the radio volume to cover the wind noise (MIC) at higher speeds but it was tolerable.
Good to know. I’m trading an S3 which spends time on occasion at 90-100 on FL interstates. Hoping I don’t miss it too much

VGK_Fan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Audi S5 Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good to know. I’m trading an S3 which spends time on occasion at 90-100 on FL interstates. Hoping I don’t miss it too much
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. We picked up a S5 for the wife a month before the Bronco arrived so I was debating which rig to drive the 800 mile roundtrip to AZ. Decided on the Bronco to break it in and test the road manners. Also got to do some moderate off-roading while I was down there. Your Bronco will be louder and bumpier than the S3 obviously but I was happy with how well it did on the freeway at higher speeds. The ACC worked great, too

GreenMtnBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BadSquatch; 13 Wrangler JK; 04 Lifted Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just took my 4dr BL Squatch to VT for the weekend from Rockland County NY. 3 1/2 hr drive, mostly Interstates. I had an audi S5 Cab that I turned in 2 years ago, I'd typically drive that between 65&90 on this route... no horrible noise from the soft top, gets up to speed and slows down quickly.

then I turned in the audi because of the pandemic and was driving a Wrangler JK 2dr with 2" lift & 35s, that was scary at anything over 80 in most places. There's some bad resurfacing in northern mass across a couple of bridges on I 91, if I wouldn't slow to high 60s, I'd likely lose it there.

the Bronco was very comfortable at all speeds, mileage suffered very obviously over 65. Those bad pavement bridges? no issues at all in the Bronco. I have a BL-Squatch-Soft top. Road noise is what it is. I had a hardtop on the wrangler and hoping I find a way to get one in the next 6 months on the Bronco.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

With AT tires YES, its comfortable .... Mud Terrains? HELL NO