First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a chance to camp on the beach the weekend. It’s called Oceano Dunes near Pismo in California. You can drive you vehicle right into the beach.

We have a 2021 Bronco Badlands 4-door. I’ve read that you should air down your tires to drive on sand. Is it necessary if I use the Sand mode? I am NOT good with mechanical stuff and would be afraid of damaging my tires or something else airing down then trying to inflate them again. Like pop them or go too low..I can’t exaggerate how mechanically disinclined I am. It is really intimidating, and air pulps also look expensive.

can I drive without airing down, or will I get stuck or cause other problems? It is a regular beach, and I will not go i to the dunes, just the beach front. Thank you for your advice.
Sponsored

E. Davis

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Velocity Blue
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My recommendation would be to practice this most basic of mechanical tasks and build your confidence in doing such things. Can you use a can opener in the kitchen? Can you twist a peanut butter jar lid open and closed? If so, you can adjust the air pressure in your tires. No special tools needed. Maybe for your first day at the beach, let 5psi out of your tires (to practice). Then you still have plenty of air to get to the next fill station and re-inflate without doing any harm at all.

I would also recommend building upon your newfound mechanical skill and learning how to change a tire. Yes, modern roadside assistance is great, but there may come a time / place where you need to do this.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a chance to camp on the beach the weekend. It’s called Oceano Dunes near Pismo in California. You can drive you vehicle right into the beach.

We have a 2021 Bronco Badlands 4-door. I’ve read that you should air down your tires to drive on sand. Is it necessary if I use the Sand mode? I am NOT good with mechanical stuff and would be afraid of damaging my tires or something else airing down then trying to inflate them again. Like pop them or go too low..I can’t exaggerate how mechanically disinclined I am. It is really intimidating, and air pulps also look expensive.

can I drive without airing down, or will I get stuck or cause other problems? It is a regular beach, and I will not go i to the dunes, just the beach front. Thank you for your advice.
You can roll the dice and not air down.
But it is just that, rolling the dice.
I Have done it in my youth, before I knew better, and lucked out.
I Would not chance it now (Tows off of a beach are quite expensive).
Airing down is not a big deal and is a lot of insurance and comfort to do so.

If it is something you plan on doing semi-often, go ahead and invest in a cheaper set of deflators (like $30 on Amazon), look into some sort of inflator (many different types/pricing ranging from $40 up to several hundred). Deflate down to about 15, drive and do your thing, reinflate back up to regular pressure.

Hundreds of online videos to self-teach.
No shame there. None of us are born with any knowledge.

350vudu

Raptor
First Name
350vudu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2019 Ducati V4S Corse
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have driven my GT350 onto the beaches in Galveston, TX. The bronco should be fine without airing down. This is also depending on the type of sand on the beach, if it is very loose sand or more hardpacked.

dan79

Big Bend
First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 f250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I love beach driving I air my sas down to like 15 16 psi works great u want to air down to give urself a bigger foot print in sand so u don't sink in and get stuck
U will be fine just inflate back up to what they were before. u can even try it in the drive way if u have a compressor

IMG_3207.JPG

IMG_3234.JPG

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Find out how to get the bronco dash to display your air pressures. That will help. Go down to like 28-30 and you can drive on sand or pavement without a problem. Fill back up when you're all done.

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

1. You need the gear. Get a small compressor. You also should get, at least, a tow strap and shackles. Shovel.

2. Practice first. Practice airing down and filling back up and you will think it is easy after a couple of tires.

Lots of other tips but these are easiest.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Do you know anyone who’s even a little bit of a ”car guy” who can show you the basics? You really should own a tire gauge and learn how to use it at the very least…

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
you drove your GT350 on the beach?

I have driven my GT350 onto the beaches in Galveston, TX. The bronco should be fine without airing down. This is also depending on the type of sand on the beach, if it is very loose sand or more hardpacked.

Sponsored

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I didn't see anyone mention it... YOU should have a friend in another Bronco / truck go with you and you can follow him for some experience. HArd packed sand is great, full throttle, have fun!!!

Dunes, soft sand is another story... proper gas pedal modulation can get you through, it can also bury your axles.

Go with a friend and bring a shovel. Good luck!

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't usually mention on this forum that I never air down 'cause I'll get flamed but, soft sand is the one exception. Definitely be prepared to air down.

projectbadlands

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you are at Oceano, you can drive on the sand without going into the dunes. The sand where everyone travels down the beach is usually compacted down and airing down is not necessary at all. I have even seen 2wd sedans going down this path without any issues.

Keep in mind, you will need a flag to go into the dunes or you will get a ticket.

Notmattwong

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There are a lot of smaller “beaches” that have little drive able paths where you can park on sand and walk a few feet to the water. Really nothing intense at all, you just have to know which ones are really rutted out and need a truck to access. I lived there for a year and drove a bone stock FJ cruiser down there. A lot of buddies with less capable cars were able to drive to the beaches with no problem.

350vudu

Raptor
First Name
350vudu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2019 Ducati V4S Corse
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yup. Had 0 issues. The sand was very hard packed. Might as well have been driving on concrete :ROFLMAO:. Drove on, took pics near the water then peaced out. Not all sandy beaches are the same.
Sponsored