First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Street Scrambler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was thinking the same thing about do I need to air down to hit the trails. Going off roading for the first time for real this weekend in central Texas. Seems like air down to 30psi or so and then hit the trails. Then air back up when on the road?
Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Good video of a normal day at Pismo. With it going to be 100F+ in the valley it going to be a zoo and packed with cars. All these people have no clue that Pismo Beach is the cheapest place to camp on the coast. Its more of an offroad park. I hope the OP knows what he is getting into(people and crowd).

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Don't know how things are on other beaches but when I drove the beach in the NC OBX to the VA border in May it actually is the law to air down:

20 PSI for SUV’s & ½ ton 4X4
35 PSI for ¾ ton 4X4

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As the saying goes...you only get one chance to not get stuck. Air down at Pismo! Plenty of people to help if you do get stuck but why not just avoid the hassle? Depending on waves and tide there you may or may not have alot of hard packed sand to drive on especially with the crowds this weekend and if you are camping it will be soft. You definitely want to arrive at low tide because you have to cross a river and at high tide it is much deeper. Been stuck there myself along time ago. Closer to the water is harder sand but you will also be getting increased salt spray. Additionally one of the entrances is closed I believe so the line can get long and they only sell limited passes first come first serve. Its going to be a very popular weekend there. Have fun!

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good video of a normal day at Pismo. With it going to be 100F+ in the valley it going to be a zoo and packed with cars. All these people have no clue that Pismo Beach is the cheapest place to camp on the coast. Its more of an offroad park. I hope the OP knows what he is getting into(people and crowd).
Lol. Great find. Exactly what I was talking about! Good news is the Bronco won't get stuck if it's aired down and you keep momentum.

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd get a tire gauge, go to a Chevron where, at least here in Utah, they all offer free air, then practice airing down and back up again with the spare tire.

Your tire is probably in the 35-40psi range from the factory if not more. Check the air pressure before you do anything, then let air out of your tire to bring it down 5psi (e.g. bring it down to 35psi). Then use the Chevron air hose and inflate the tire back up 5psi, then practice airing down 10psi, then inflating back up 10psi and so on. Keep doing that until you get a feel for how long it takes to air down the tire to around 20psi which offers plenty of buffer to not screw anything up.

Sometimes the tire gauge will have a button or a depressor that will enable you to let air out at your own pace. Watch Youtube if you need to and don't worry about any danger. As long as you stay between 15 and 40psi, there's nothing to worry about, and that offers tons of buffer to insure you don't damage anything.
This is so much easier.

https://www.amazon.com/Myers-Digital-Heavy-Tire-Pressure/dp/B09TJTKK7Y/ref=sr_1_18_sspa

OP
OP

Kyuberto

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know it will be crazy, but they also have a reduced number of spots because of COVID (250 vs 500 per the website) so I hope it’s not too bad. I’m worried about getting something near a bathroom.

ERock62

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Zero experience with a Bronco since it's on order.

Been going to Glamis/Pismo for 20+yrs.

For my truck in my AV (17-F250 6.7L). I run low 20's. Momentum is key when in the sand. If you are towing a toy hauler. Momentum is even more key. Had a situation once when I had a good run towing out in Pismo and someone pulled in front of me. Was able to power out with the toy hauler.

Pismo is a coarser sand than Glamis. Make sure you clean everything after the trip. I mean everywhere.

JimCA

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good reading. What an awesome community! (y)

Sponsored

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You should carry a small shovel and traction boards with you at the very least if you don't plan on airing down and aren't going with someone who has a winch to get you out if stuck.
I was thinking exactly this too. It’s a relatively inexpensive insurance policy if you don’t want to take the time to adjust pressure.

I rock the X-Bull boards from Amazon with a strap and old shovel. I’m never in a place that’s not walkable to cell service so I feel comfortable driving right in.

bajabronco57

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have a chance to camp on the beach the weekend. It’s called Oceano Dunes near Pismo in California. You can drive you vehicle right into the beach.

We have a 2021 Bronco Badlands 4-door. I’ve read that you should air down your tires to drive on sand. Is it necessary if I use the Sand mode? I am NOT good with mechanical stuff and would be afraid of damaging my tires or something else airing down then trying to inflate them again. Like pop them or go too low..I can’t exaggerate how mechanically disinclined I am. It is really intimidating, and air pulps also look expensive.

can I drive without airing down, or will I get stuck or cause other problems? It is a regular beach, and I will not go i to the dunes, just the beach front. Thank you for your advice.

Been to Pismo a ton. Full size trucks pulling 5th wheels and motor homes can make it down the beach... but it depends.

If you are light on the throttle you should be fine without airing down if you stay on the beach in 4 High. Stay on the hard pack but don't drive in the water. Is the water crossing still there? Sorry been a few years, but if it is wait for someone else to go then follow their path.

If you do start to get stuck stop, air down, switch to 4 low, and just try and pull out slowly. If your wheels spin stop.

Now here is the less fun part. If you are going solo bring cash. Some people will pull you out for free because of karma, I never charge, but other guys will make you pay for a tug. If you have a buddy going with you then there isn't much to worry about, just bring a tow strap.

PSA: As soon as you get off the beach run your Bronco through a car wash. The salt water will destroy it.

Delli555

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was thinking exactly this too. It’s a relatively inexpensive insurance policy if you don’t want to take the time to adjust pressure.

I rock the X-Bull boards from Amazon with a strap and old shovel. I’m never in a place that’s not walkable to cell service so I feel comfortable driving right in.
Do you like the X-Bull? I was thinking going them over Max Trax when I get my Bronco this fall.

sbonomo

Wildtrak
First Name
stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M3/F-150 XL eco beast
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a chance to camp on the beach the weekend. It’s called Oceano Dunes near Pismo in California. You can drive you vehicle right into the beach.

We have a 2021 Bronco Badlands 4-door. I’ve read that you should air down your tires to drive on sand. Is it necessary if I use the Sand mode? I am NOT good with mechanical stuff and would be afraid of damaging my tires or something else airing down then trying to inflate them again. Like pop them or go too low..I can’t exaggerate how mechanically disinclined I am. It is really intimidating, and air pulps also look expensive.

can I drive without airing down, or will I get stuck or cause other problems? It is a regular beach, and I will not go i to the dunes, just the beach front. Thank you for your advice.
i didn't read the entire thread so sorry if this is a repeat. I have been to pismo many times. On the main drag you are fine not airing down. Just put it in 4-high and you can go anywhere. If you go back to the dunes you want to be at 14-15 lbs. There are filling station that charge you $1 per tire as you leave (they have industrial grade compressors so well worth the $$ to save the time). There is a group on FB called the Jerk Pirates that will rescue you if you are stuck (i am a member). The skinny peddle is a blessing and a curse on sand so drive within your comfort level. If you get stuck air down more and rock back and forth gently. Don't just floor it until you are on your frame. Have fun and report back!

62chad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I live close to pismo. Went out on the dunes about a month ago. You are fine on the beach not aired down. If you go in the dunes definitely air down. Make sure traction control is off.
Sponsored