Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm just curious, I'm about to receive a 2 door with the hard top. I'd imagine I'm going to need to hang things out the back occasionally (think rake, shovel, piece of wood, etc). Has anybody had any trouble driving with the rear windshield raised? Has Ford said anything about that?
Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't think Ford has an official position on driving with the rear window open. Nothing I could find in the manual anyhow. However, I used to do this all the time in my JKU and have done it several times in my wife's Bronco at highway speeds and while off-roading It is not an issue. Congrats on the Bronco.

OP
OP

rusty603

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don't think Ford has an official position on driving with the rear window open. Nothing I could find in the manual anyhow. However, I used to do this all the time in my JKU and have done it several times in my wife's Bronco at highway speeds and while off-roading It is not an issue. Congrats on the Bronco.
Thanks a lot @BlueBronco ! I really appreciate your help!

Chris_Derksen

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Sienna
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've also drive mine for many miles around town with it open. No issue at all.

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you also have your side windows open it shouldn't be a big deal.

When you look at the way air flows over the vehicle, it curls towards the ground after coming off the roof when at speed. So, If you have all the windows shut and the back window open, the inside of the vehicle will fill with exhaust fumes.

I believe my '85 Bronco had a warning about driving with a rear window down without the air deflector on the removable roof.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seen a few posts about the glass shattering. Not sure I would put the tension on the fittings. Would probably shatter.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
At low speeds on smooth hard surfaces, maybe.

My rear window (and everything else on the rear) is covered with dust, so I'm not in any hurry to suck that into the cabin.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Seen a few posts about the glass shattering. Not sure I would put the tension on the fittings. Would probably shatter.
would be my concern too. that or some force/wind bouncing the window off the spare tire. low speeds (under 20) probably fine.

i really wish they would have done a motorized window. would have been great for general usage, throwing gear in, and top removal. i know there are design issues, but one can dream.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I drive around with it open all the time around town - typically when I need to grab a few pieces of lumber or take the dogs somewhere. I do close it if I need to go out on the freeway though.
Sponsored