Sponsored

Driving without bedlock beauty rings installed? And torx bolt size?

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I want to paint my beauty rings. Does anyone know if I can drive around without the rings on? Any beadlock implications? I asked my sales rep, who as you can imagine didn’t know. She got the service manager and she said that they are not true beadlock so I can drive with them off without issue and said the only downside is it might look weird…

lastly, does anyone know what size tork they are? I tried to back out one of the bumper ones butthe kit they include does not hav me the correct size.
Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes you can drive around without them on. I did, while mine were being powder coated.

Just be careful removing the bolts. I stripped two and each bolt was $25 CDN from Ford (thankfully I got them slightly cheaper, but still…).

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

lastly, does anyone know what size tork they are? I tried to back out one of the bumper ones butthe kit they include does not hav me the correct size.
Torx 45 (T45). Standard Torx, not Torx Plus. TP45 will not fit.

OP
OP

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes you can drive around without them on. I did, while mine were being powder coated.

Just be careful removing the bolts. I stripped two and each bolt was $25 CDN from Ford (thankfully I got them slightly cheaper, but still…).
Thanks, by be careful do you mean remove by hand or do you think power tool would be better? How did you strip them?

broncoky

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR CB OBX SAS & 2000 Lexus LS400
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes, they are strictly cosmetic. I drove around for 3 days or so without them. From a distance it don't really look much different.

This is the T45 bit I used to remove and replace the bolts.

https://www.autozone.com/screwdrivers/driver-bit/p/duralast-3-8in-drive-t-45-torx-bit/864636_0_0

I used an impact. Just be sure to push firmly to ensure it don't try to jump. Out of all, there were 4 or 5 that took a little more finessing than others. As with anything, just take your time and pay attention.

Sponsored

mykoljay

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I just removed my rings and brought them to a local powdercoating shop where they are changing them to glossy black for $25 each ($125 total). taking 3-4 days.

FYI, I recommend you loosen every bolt manually (3 times) and then use a drill or impact. There's been cases of stripping. It was very easy this method.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks, by be careful do you mean remove by hand or do you think power tool would be better? How did you strip them?
It takes a Torx Plus bit, not Torx. But my issue was there was so much locktit on each bolt, I was using hand tools and just wasn’t careful I guess.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, they are strictly cosmetic. I drove around for 3 days or so without them. From a distance it don't really look much different.

This is the T45 bit I used to remove and replace the bolts.

https://www.autozone.com/screwdrivers/driver-bit/p/duralast-3-8in-drive-t-45-torx-bit/864636_0_0

I used an impact. Just be sure to push firmly to ensure it don't try to jump. Out of all, there were 4 or 5 that took a little more finessing than others. As with anything, just take your time and pay attention.
I thought it was a Torx Plus bit that was widely agreed upon being what was required?

broncoky

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR CB OBX SAS & 2000 Lexus LS400
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I thought it was a Torx Plus bit that was widely agreed upon being what was required?
I had no issues with the standard T45 from AutoZone. All were removed and replaced with no stripping in about 10-15 minites each way. I used a battery powered impact for every bolt and let it do all the work. Others have reported that all the bolts were damn near impossible to remove. Thankfully that wasn't the case for me.

Sponsored

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

and make sure you realign the valve cutout on the ring with the valve lol. First time I took them off I didnt even notice, next day went to fill up my tires and lesson was learned.

I stripped a few using my impact driver so be steady. I started to tighten with the impact and finish with the wrench just to be safer.

BBoyM3

Raptor
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota Corolla LE
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Can anyone confirm the proper Torx bit to use for the Beauty Rings? I see both without any actual confirmation. Is is T45 or TP45?

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can anyone confirm the proper Torx bit to use for the Beauty Rings? I see both without any actual confirmation. Is is T45 or TP45?
Yeah would be nice to have a definitive answer

Dave-O

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150/Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My question is…do they have to come off when you get new tires?
Sponsored