Sponsored

Driving without doors - rules / laws / common sense things to consider?

rlondeen

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've never driven a vehicle with the doors removed. What are the rules / laws / common sense things to consider? Seems like you're open to more debris on say highways and such. Do you just drive without doors on rural roads or on the trail or can they also be removed in high speed situations? I assume passengers are still protected from side collisions by the external frame?

I've read that only the two front doors fit in the back of the 4-door. Is this true? ~ I suppose if you have nowhere to store them on roadtrips, you have to forgo removing the back doors?

Edit: Also, is the vehicle much more open to theft if the doors are off? Is there some additional security feature to help protect it against theft when the doors are off? I'd be super insecure about parking it anywhere, even if I had my eyes on it.

Also, is the leg prop outside the door frame a sign of dominance? ;)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not even a golf cart?

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've never driven a vehicle with the doors removed. What are the rules / laws / common sense things to consider?....

There is only common sense, nobody has passed laws for such, even kalifornia.

My only advice would be to make sure your vehicle inside is clean before taking off. There will be flying debris. Either that, or take a quick spin with just yourself, you'll will be expecting it your passengers may not.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have not bothered looking for laws in NJ, or anywhere else for that matter. I probably should, because pleading ignorance rarely works where the law is concerned. I picked up a 1971 FJ40 in early '20, and that was my first vehicle with removeable doors. I took the doors (and the top) off in June, and put them back on the end of October (garage parked). Couple thousand miles, and no issues with police. I did feel a bit nekkid, and some passengers expressed nervousness without doors, so I added tube doors in September. Felt a little better, and had a place for my arm to chill. Still a very open experience, I enjoy it a lot.

The Bronco will not be garage kept, but the doors will be much easier to remove and put back on, compared to the FJ40, so I think they'll be off and on depending on rain in the forecast. I'll likely get tube doors for that as well. I'm willing to bet all tube doors are advertised as, "for off-road use only", simply to protect the Manufacturer. I didn't have any doors on any of the motorcycles in my past, so I suppose it's a risk of personal preference. Maybe some Jeep peeps can chime in with what the Owner's Manual states in regard to door removal?

Edit: The leg prop on the door sill, for me, is more of a because I can thing, rather than should I. It's also pretty comfy. I liken it to hwy pegs/bars on large cruiser bikes. Laid back, carefree. Even with my tube doors, I'm able to stretch my foot under and onto the door sill.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, passengers are not as well protected. Doors are structural components, with an "intrusion" beam under the door skin (thin "sheet" metal) to help protect in side impacts.

Driving on the trail with doors off means your interior will have whatever dirt/debris the trail has on it. If you were using a leaf blower to blow trail dust into your vehicle, it's similar to that.

ETA, if there are things on the doors, you may need those to remain on the vehicle, like mirrors (as an example, not specific to the Bronco); else, you are fine.

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe some Jeep peeps can chime in with what the Owner's Manual states in regard to door removal?
The verbiage used regarding the doors and roof is usually "for weather protection only". If that was not stated then State laws would prevent you from removing them and driving.

Side note: I can't wait for a PDF of the owner's manual to be available, any other nerds out there looking forward to this?

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The verbiage used regarding the doors and roof is usually "for weather protection only". If that was not stated then State laws would prevent you from removing them and driving.

Side note: I can't wait for a PDF of the owner's manual to be available, any other nerds out there looking forward to this?
Lol you just brought back good memories of how so many people lost their minds over the fact they weren’t getting a paper manual.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've never driven doors off either, at highway speed I can't imagine that being much fun and in stop and go traffic in the summer heat I'd rather have doors blocking the exhaust noise of those cars next to me and the heat radiating off the pavement.

I will take them off sometime just to see how that feels, but most if the time I expect them to be on. Plus I want something for my left arm on.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also, is the leg prop outside the door frame a sign of dominance? ;)
It's pretty fun and comfy.
Gives you even more of a laid-back look AND perspective. I loved my foot peg on my Jeep.
Also helps you lean to the center so you can rest your arm on the console.
Without doors you don't want to lean too far to the outside. June bugs don't feel good at 60mph.
Sponsored