Sponsored

Driving without doors - rules / laws / common sense things to consider?

Southside_Ray

Base
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Speaking from Iowa, while commuting to & from work on highways I will always see jeep drivers going down the road at 70ish with their leg hanging out of the door-less vehicle.

Not 100% but I believe that there is no door-less law here, other then the side mirrors needing to be on (which is not a problem for us Bronco folks)!

Speaking of the safety part, of course doors on is more safe then off. Though I will be participating in the leg hang that our jeep cousins currently take advantage of lol
Sponsored

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My CJ-7 has not had doors on it , or a hard top for that matter since I bought it in 2010. Lives in the garage or under a cover. Drive it everywhere like that. Never been an issue with “the law” in NY

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Doors off period. In a Jeep, it makes it feel so much bigger. The bronco already has a wide body so that won’t be an issue.

As others have said, get everything off the floor as it will get sucked out or end up in your eyes.

I actually prefer doors completely off vs open windows at highway speeds as the wind noise seems less.

I’m one of those people that prop a leg up outside. Especially with shorts on. Keeps the nether-regions dry.

Driving in rain kinds sucks when the rain gets sucked in and sticks on the INSIDE of the windshield. I ride motorcycles all the time too so getting soaking wet and going 70 is nothing new. The best thing about wet pants is you can pee yourself and no one knows.

Phone connected to the stereo will help. I about lost my phone a few times when it bounced out of clamp mount on the windshield.

I about ended up with a bull elk in my passenger seat one day. That was fun.

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
No, passengers are not as well protected. Doors are structural components, with an "intrusion" beam under the door skin (thin "sheet" metal) to help protect in side impacts.

Driving on the trail with doors off means your interior will have whatever dirt/debris the trail has on it. If you were using a leaf blower to blow trail dust into your vehicle, it's similar to that.

ETA, if there are things on the doors, you may need those to remain on the vehicle, like mirrors (as an example, not specific to the Bronco); else, you are fine.
Dirt, debris, virtual leaf blower ... Does that mean that I should reconsider the free headliner for the MIC top? Right now I'm getting a Badlands MIC with MGV, but I'm sure there's time to decline the headliner (which I already requested).

Sponsored

Zenithon

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Dodge Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Had a 73 Bronco and took the top off every summer. One summer I took the doors off too. That lasted a couple of weeks. It wasn't as enjoyable as I thought it would be. Maybe it's because my job at the time included highway driving. Maybe it's because I live in the high desert and it still gets cold late at night and morning. With the doors on, windows up and heat blasting a cold morning isn't so bad. With the doors off, you better bundle up. I'm sure I'll give it another shot at some point, but my gut tells me they'll stay on most of the time.

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you really asking the right question there? I think the correct question is "what KIND of alcohol was involved"
Tequila gives me a lot of bad ideas... I’ll go with that

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Found this for folks in British Columbia:

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 12.38.48 PM.png
Only pre-86 CJs, that discriminates against 1G Bronco Roadsters, which did not come with doors.

Doorless is illegal in WA but the Jeepers all flout it.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dirt, debris, virtual leaf blower ... Does that mean that I should reconsider the free headliner for the MIC top? Right now I'm getting a Badlands MIC with MGV, but I'm sure there's time to decline the headliner (which I already requested).
Well, I'm getting the headliner too, and I'll take the doors off. As a matter of fact, I think I'm throwing them in the creek behind the house. I can't imagine ever needing them. The headliner will be filthy, but that's the life of a desperado.

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Legality depends on state, In PA where I'm from it's illegal to drive without doors. But that is why I ordered Tube doors!
I fully plan to follow the lead of our Lt. Governor and ignore this law

fetterman.jpg
Sponsored