Sponsored

Driving without doors - rules / laws / common sense things to consider?

TimmH

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've had the doors and top off the Jeep a few times, but in South Florida, between the heat, humidity and suddenly showers, it's something I plan in advance.

It's a cool feeling, a little weird the first time, even as a motorcycle rider, Jeep with doors off was just a little odd. I think because on a bike you're much lower, and in the Jeep the road feels so far away. You also get a lot of wind coming up from below, which can be uncomfortable at higher speeds, and if you're girl has a loose shirt, she might want to tuck it in. :)

But it is something I suggest everyone experience at least once.
Sponsored

SuckItMcGee

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB, 2020 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I bought my first jeep about 6 weeks ago since I'll be waiting awhile for my MY22 Bronco. My soft top has been down/uninstalled and doors removed as soon as the temps outside hit 60*. Mine is garage kept, but something I do wish I had thought of..... we got hit by pollen HARD this year, which means I had gobs of the yellow stuff on every single inch of the interior. I've got a cloth interior, this is making me think log and hard about switching from Basesquatch to BD Squatch or just BL. Really wish I had the ability to hose out the interior of my jeep right now.

chicknwithabeer

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon unlimited 2015 Ford f150 3.5 E
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought my first jeep about 6 weeks ago since I'll be waiting awhile for my MY22 Bronco. My soft top has been down/uninstalled and doors removed as soon as the temps outside hit 60*. Mine is garage kept, but something I do wish I had thought of..... we got hit by pollen HARD this year, which means I had gobs of the yellow stuff on every single inch of the interior. I've got a cloth interior, this is making me think log and hard about switching from Basesquatch to BD Squatch or just BL. Really wish I had the ability to hose out the interior of my jeep right now.
Just pull the plugs out the floor and wash away.

SuckItMcGee

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB, 2020 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just pull the plugs out the floor and wash away.
It's the cloth seats i'm worried about. Should I not be? Obviously they'll dry eventually, but all i picture is the seat foam soaking it all up like a sponge.

Edited to add: and also pulling carpet to get to the plugs sounds like a giant pain in the ass. I'd rather just take a roll of paper towels to it.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is only common sense, nobody has passed laws for such, even kalifornia.

My only advice would be to make sure your vehicle inside is clean before taking off. There will be flying debris. Either that, or take a quick spin with just yourself, you'll will be expecting it your passengers may not.
Open doors are a good way to clean the dust out of a vehicle. I do it between trails with my RZR all the time. A few seconds with the door open at 50 on the highway and you're ready to open the cooler or pockets without getting them full of dirt.

Sponsored

brocotect

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
Legality depends on state, In PA where I'm from it's illegal to drive without doors. But that is why I ordered Tube doors!
This only works if they consider the tube doors as original equipment. If you're buying from ford I suppose this might workout that way but tube doors generally aren't legal in PA either according to the way the law is framed.

I don't think any cop is actually going to care though.

PecOBX

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have driven Jeeps with the doors off plenty (and I live in PA without anyone ever pulling me over). I love driving with the doors off and do so as much as weather allows (rain). The heat doesn’t bother me in summer - still prefer open air and I drive plenty on highways. The Bronco frameless doors will be nice and should be just like having half doors on a wrangler.
As for personal things - I have learned to just not keep anything of value in the vehicle. If the glove box locks great but my CJ7 did not have door locks (I live in a Phila suburb) and never had a problem.
Good luck and enjoy the experience.

Reactions: KAQ

TimmH

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's the cloth seats i'm worried about. Should I not be? Obviously they'll dry eventually, but all i picture is the seat foam soaking it all up like a sponge.

Edited to add: and also pulling carpet to get to the plugs sounds like a giant pain in the ass. I'd rather just take a roll of paper towels to it.
Wait for a nice warm sunny day and hose it out, then let it sit and dry. I had the top off during a Florida downpour. Pulled the plugs when it stopped, and let it sit in the sun, a couple hours later it was dry.

Although pollen ay take some scrubbing as well.

WadeWolf76

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Wrangler JK Willy's, 67 Ford Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Only doorless law I'm aware of is you have to have mirrors. Which is a none issue on the Bronco.

I have tube doors for my Wrangler just because the feeling of no doors freaked out my son to much for him to ride in the front.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We still laugh about gfs first ride top off no doors she jumps in in a sundress it was all over the place hair in her face terrified looking dow at moving asphalt.
Now it hair tied up,tight fitting stuff ,dont look at groundđź‘ŤBruno however thinks its the best day ever.
Ford Bronco Driving without doors - rules / laws / common sense things to consider? Screenshot_20190421-133832_Chrome

Sponsored

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm in Arizona, and am totally looking forward to riding with the top and doors off - in winter. Seriously, here it may get down to 45 at night, and be 70 by 9AM, tops out about 79. It's sunny, no rain, and I will be driving slow on blacktops around my home out in the country at below 60MPH most of the time. Basically, it will be great. Summers? Put the doors back on, and wait for a WHITE modular top. Hope the AC can keep up with 108 degrees.

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The big issue without doors is you need to make sure your socks match.

and don’t forget to wear pants!
Sponsored