Sponsored

Drop Trailer Tow Package and install aftersale?

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Dealer called and recommended I drop the trailer tow to see if my order is picked up quicker (relative term, I know). I know I have heard the same on here before.

my novice questions include how much for ford to install after ? Or should I be looking aftermarket? Is wiring a big deal after ?
Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dealer called and recommended I drop the trailer tow to see if my order is picked up quicker (relative term, I know). I know I have heard the same on here before.

my novice questions include how much for ford to install after ? Or should I be looking aftermarket? Is wiring a big deal after ?
if you want the hitch just to add a bike carrier or cargo box and don't need wiring for trailer lights, go after market, much cheaper. Also not expensive to get the 4 pin connector after market, the 7 pin with break control is supposedly almost impossible to retrofit, expensive, time consuming. I went with the factory option, as I might eventually have a trailer that has breaks and it's just a nice integrated system. But if you don't need that option just get the hitch from Ford and install yourself or go to any other place like Uhaul to get a simple hitch with 4 pin connector installed.

OP
OP
mdepll

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

if you want the hitch just to add a bike carrier or cargo box and don't need wiring for trailer lights, go after market, much cheaper. Also not expensive to get the 4 pin connector after market, the 7 pin with break control is supposedly almost impossible to retrofit, expensive, time consuming. I went with the factory option, as I might eventually have a trailer that has breaks and it's just a nice integrated system. But if you don't need that option just get the hitch from Ford and install yourself or go to any other place like Uhaul to get a simple hitch with 4 pin connector installed.
Would hitch and 4 pin connector be better from ford? Or are there better options aftermarket? Is ground clearance an issue if I don’t go with ford ? Won’t need brakes, but will need tail lights.

BadBradBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What is the difference between the 7 pin and 4 pin connectors?

Squatchit

Badlands
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 3500, 2020 R1250GS, 2006 Volvo V50 T5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was told by my salesman that the hitch package also included a larger transmission cooler so I decided to keep it on. Anyone have any conformation on this?

Sponsored

Squatchit

Badlands
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 3500, 2020 R1250GS, 2006 Volvo V50 T5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is the difference between the 7 pin and 4 pin connectors?
7pin is the new style and for most larger trailers. 4 pin is old style with brake and turn lights. No power brakes or constant 12v on the old.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If all you want is a hitch for a carrier and OK with a 4 pin, aftermarket is the way to go. It’s relatively easy to do yourself. A 4 pin is all you need for trailer lights. If you need a 7 pin for trailer brakes, get it factory.

OP
OP
mdepll

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If all you want is a hitch for a carrier and OK with a 4 pin, aftermarket is the way to go. It’s relatively easy to do yourself. A 4 pin is all you need for trailer lights. If you need a 7 pin for trailer brakes, get it factory.
Where does 4pin get wired to ?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Where does 4pin get wired to ?
T connectors into the tail lights and one hot wire wherever you chose to get power from.

Sponsored

DarkPony

Outer Banks
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F250 Platinum, 97 Porsche 993
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was in the same situation. I was a very late res, after reading about all of the hold ups for orders. So I called me dealer and changed my order and dropped the hard top and tow package, 4 weeks later got a build date. Four weeks later got a Bronco. there are already kits available to ad a tow package and wiring kits without spliceing. Drop it, get your Bronco, drive it and enjoy!

OP
OP
mdepll

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
mdepll

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was in the same situation. I was a very late res, after reading about all of the hold ups for orders. So I called me dealer and changed my order and dropped the hard top and tow package, 4 weeks later got a build date. Four weeks later got a Bronco. there are already kits available to ad a tow package and wiring kits without spliceing. Drop it, get your Bronco, drive it and enjoy!
What tow package did you
End up getting ?

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is there another source beside the battery ?
Whether Ford or aftermarket harness, they are plug and play, no actual splicing involved, simply unplug a certain connection, and insert harness between.

BTW, you are getting the hot, +, from the same wire going to the lights. You would only attach a ground to frame if the harness does not include the ground

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I dumped the tow package for last small round of scheduling no dice yet, but 7 pin is needed for electric trail brakes. I believe etrailer has a 4 to 7 pin plug n play, you just need to do a little wiring, companys are working on it, there will be an out of box solution soon. There is a good thread on here from guys already doing 7 pin from scratch. You can also look at a bluetooth 7 pin connector (Curt) as a possibility.
Sponsored